Leaking Rear Struts

More threads by Styria

Fotografa

Hi Fotografa, those prices you are quoting are quite exceptional. I am of course quoting Marshall Motors figures that I obtained many years ago. I wonder what heir prices would be today - maybe I should check as a matter of interest.

Mind you, even at your 'low' prices, the two struts are still a 'about' $1400.00 job - not cheap, is it ? Would you care to give us a quote for the rear shackles (top of rear hub to sway bar) ? I would be very interested as new units from Marshalls are about $300.00 each and I have taken the trouble to rebuild some units.

Bill - regarding heavy duty struts, you may well find that they are no longer available. Just get confirmation from Fotografa if he can get them. I think all the manufacturers would have done would have been to alter the number and/or size of orifices of discs in the struts. I honestly think that the present 'normal' system already incorporates some sort of cornering pressure compensating system

YOU ALSO REFER TO THE RIGHT HAND FRONT SITTING LOWER THAN THAN THE LEFT - I HAVE PREVIOUSLY REFERRED TO THIS ANOMALY THAT I HAVE NOTICED WITH A NUMBER OF 6.9S - DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ? Regards Styria

Michael,

The rear torsion bar shackles come in at about $95.00 each by the time they are landed here in Sydney.

I'd have to check availability of the "For Sporty Driving" hydropneumatic legs, but they were available at least up until about 18 months ago.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I did check today, as a matter of interest, with Marshall Motors, one of Sydney's Mercedes Benz dealers regarding price for front and rear struts. I quoted Gleaming Beauty's chassis number and was advised that there was nil stock for either of the struts, i.e. front and rear.

Maybe someone else can throw a light on this situation. I mean, I can only accept Marshalls info as correct, but there may be alternative suppliers with stock on hand. Anyway, if it comes to the worst, I'll have sufficient rebuilt numbers on hand to satisfy local demand on an exchange basis. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
WGB: My sister in law actually has a business in the shopping centre in Kalamunda itself, so she is in there on a daily basis. Now that you have pictured your car I'll refer Topklasse to them so they can have a decco on the screen, just as the rest of us can see. Actually, Styria knows by brother quite well. Small world!

You may know of my sister in law, she may have referred patients to you or vice versa.

By the way your car......... very interesting and distinctive. A nice looking machine.

Last edited:

Fotografa

I did check today, as a matter of interest, with Marshall Motors, one of Sydney's Mercedes Benz dealers regarding price for front and rear struts. I quoted Gleaming Beauty's chassis number and was advised that there was nil stock for either of the struts, i.e. front and rear.

Maybe someone else can throw a light on this situation. I mean, I can only accept Marshalls info as correct, but there may be alternative suppliers with stock on hand. Anyway, if it comes to the worst, I'll have sufficient rebuilt numbers on hand to satisfy local demand on an exchange basis. Regards Styria

Just checked my guys, deep in the bowels of MB... here is where it stands:

There is only standrd front legs left, and only one of each left in the world accessable by Mercedes.

Price for each one is $850 for the left and $870 for the right.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks Shane for checking. It is a disappointing situation, but luckily I can take care of the problem. In fact, it makes me even more determined to pursue a course that I started with a 'bung' water pump about fourteen years ago - and that is to find ways or rebuilding/repairing/reconditioning parts so that I did not have to patrronize and support some of MB's ourageous prices.

I remember a water pump being $1800.00 in those days, and I also recall struts being about $1200.00 each back in 2000 or 2001. That was real money in those days. Regards Styria

Fotografa

Thanks Shane for checking. It is a disappointing situation, but luckily I can take care of the problem. In fact, it makes me even more determined to pursue a course that I started with a 'bung' water pump about fourteen years ago - and that is to find ways or rebuilding/repairing/reconditioning parts so that I did not have to patrronize and support some of MB's ourageous prices.

I remember a water pump being $1800.00 in those days, and I also recall struts being about $1200.00 each back in 2000 or 2001. That was real money in those days. Regards Styria

I recently supplied a water-pump for one of the nicest, best cared for and original 6.9's I know of. And it was an MB dealer that bought it off me, a beautifully rebuilt unit for $500. The dealer price a pump was $3k + and even MB only do rebuilt ones now anyway.

Last edited:

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
Styria,

I think what you have done by successfully rebuilding these units is excellent! It is beyond me why:

the seal kits are no longer supplied by MB

the struts are NLA

Fitchel Sachs doesn't offer a refurbishment service like Bilstein does for their gash shocks

No one here in the U.S. is offering a serivce similar to yours

While I don't own a W116 6.9 I do have a W126 560 SEL with a system that shares many components with the 6.9

Great work and perhaps it does make sense to spend the shipping as my hp struts are even more rare than the 6.9

Attachments

• 1116011037.jpg
    1116011037.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SCAN0036.jpg
    SCAN0036.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 11

Oversize

Grand Master
I thought Star Motors in the US did change-over struts??

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks MB-Mike. I started the idea of rebuilding components about fifteen years ago when the water pump on Gleaming Beauty blew a seal. At the time, I was quoted about $1600.00 for a new unit, and it was then that an engineering shop worked out for me a way of reconditioning the pumps. The big problem always is the impeller and the shape of the pump case. I recall selling, or trying to sell, a 6.9 to some guy and that car's owner had forked out that money for a new pump. When I showed the invoice to the prospective buyer, his face changed colour to 'ashen' and I couldn't see him for dust.

It was that experience that got me going all those years ago. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Mike did you try Star Motors?

Is it true that all struts are NLA from MB?

Is it true that Fitchel Sachs destroyed all tooling and specs for the struts (source m-100cc)????

Tony66_au

Maybe a little out of left field but..............

Has anyone ever dropped one of these to a good company owned Pedders store?

I've had Grey market Jap speciality struts rebuilt by Pedders Ferntree gully in the past including modifications of Bore and stroke, damper setting etc and id say they still do this.

Oversize

Grand Master
That's a very interesting point.... and worth investigating!

On the subject of tooling and remanufacture, I was thinking where in the world could we get new struts made? If Sachs are no longer capable and MB don't see it as viable, who does the best job of duplicating genuine items? Who's currently using all of the worlds resources? The answer is China!!

So all we need is a good contact and a PO address to send a (heavy duty) front and rear strut, the valves, pump and the appropriate (big) cells. We could even get re-charge ports incorporated.... Why not even include the hoses? Am I dreaming??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well Mark, without wishing to be regarded as a pessimist, I do think that it would be a pipe dream. The problem is volume, or lack thereof. The Chinese wouldn't even look at us once unless, perhaps, one would come up with a shady company xung-a-r-dough, and you'd have no control over quality. No buddy, we have to battle on ourselves but, in any case, struts are no longer a problem. Regards Styria

N.B. The Chinese in the above ? Grab your dollars - besides, we could always try Nigeria or possibly even Ghana. Got a useful contact there now.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, it would appear that's now the situation. Probably like you I'be seen that info. on the M100 site.Not good,but as indicated in another post,struts are not a problem. Regards Styria