450SEL front end rattle

More threads by 450SEL1979

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
I have a 1979 450SEL which has developed an anoying rattle/knock from the front end more noticeable on bumpy roads. The car drives ok and seems to track well. Shock absorbers seem fine . I am the 4th owner of the car , I bought the car about 5 months ago (my 4th 450SEL over the years). Previous owner provided 20 years receipts and a complete itemised log diary of all work done. From this i know that near and offside control arm bushes, steering idler and tie rod ends have all been done in the past 10,000K

Local tire and brake place has suggested that the cause of the problem is the drag link

I note that i can buy these online from european auto parts for around $70

Does the suggestion from the local guy make sense ?
I had initially suspected a ball joint issue

Regards
Brendan

Is removing replacing the drag link a big job or just a couple of hours ?

Any advice would be appreciated

BenzBoy

Grand Master
There are a number of possibilities - I would want to get in there with a bar first to check.
Seeing you are in Sydney, why not come to our GTC on the 19th and meet the rest of us - and maybe get a proper diagnosis on the spot?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
That was quick , yes a proper diagnosis makes sense to me. Though i am now on my fourth 450SEL i know they are complicated beasts at times.
GTC on the 19th ? can you give me some more details ?
As i would definitely appreciate some advice

BenzBoy

Grand Master
That was quick , yes a proper diagnosis makes sense to me. Though i am now on my fourth 450SEL i know they are complicated beasts at times.
GTC on the 19th ? can you give me some more details ?
As i would definitely appreciate some advice

Have a look under 'News, events and announcement' for the details.
Very casual, very laid back, very friendly - even Trabant Admirers are welcome (I think...).
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, the drag link is a possibility, and is not difficult to replace. The price of about seventy dollars is fair enough. You could also contact abl567 for a price from the Classsic centre, another to come to mind is Fotografa - both should be contactable, or at least ask them to contact you.

Knocking noises can come from various areas - upper link in particular, bottom ball joint of stub axle etc. Regarding get together - Sunday, 19th, for about 11.30 am, Ash Road, Prestons. Can someone let us have the number, or precise details for the ones that are not familiar with the site. Regards Styria

Fotografa

Is European Auto Parts an overseas site?

If so, it's over priced. I can get an aftermarket (and for the parice it would be aftermarket, as a Genuine one is $125) drag link for AUD$80 landed here.

But before you spend the dollars, make sure that it is in fact the drag link, and not maybe something like the bushes between the upper control arms and the sway bar.

get under there and see what is worn or loose!

OP

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
Thanks for the feedback
From what i was told/ shown when my car was up on the hoist the drag link seemed to have movement. I looked through the receipts that cam with the car (all 20 years worth) and apart from the replacement of control arm bushes on both sides, tie rod ends , steering idler all within last 10,000Km

$80 seems fair ,where do i go ?

Also looking for decent price for a set of spark plug leads

Any suggestions are welcome

I will try and work out how to post a picture of my light green beast

She aint pretty as previous owner decided that a electrical sander was a good way to deal with flaking clear coat on the bonnet , boot and roof
luckily he left the rest of the car alone.

abl567

Super Moderator
In my experience Autohause have great parts prices but well over the top shipping prices to Oz, this has not always been so but lately they must have changed policy, on a $270 order their shipping price was over $300 US, I paid the slighty more for the (genuine) parts and the shipping was $115, this included a 116 under hood pad so was a bulky parcel. I am happy to price any part you need, they will be genuine parts not oem.
BTW I have a set of 116/7 V8 plug leads in stock, PM me if you are interested

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, I concur with Anthony's experience as far as Autohaus is concerned. I also obtained a shipping price from them and another supplier on three Air Cells - Autohaus $330.00, the other supplier $190.00. Both US currencies, both using US Postal. Therefore, may I strongly suggest to look over your shoulder when dealing with Autohaus nowadays. Regards Styria

Fotografa

Thanks for the feedback
From what i was told/ shown when my car was up on the hoist the drag link seemed to have movement. I looked through the receipts that cam with the car (all 20 years worth) and apart from the replacement of control arm bushes on both sides, tie rod ends , steering idler all within last 10,000Km

$80 seems fair ,where do i go ?

Also looking for decent price for a set of spark plug leads

Any suggestions are welcome

I will try and work out how to post a picture of my light green beast

She aint pretty as previous owner decided that a electrical sander was a good way to deal with flaking clear coat on the bonnet , boot and roof
luckily he left the rest of the car alone.

Shoot me an email at info@bits4benz.com.au (sorry to blow my trumpet on here guys) and i can sort you out for the drag link.

Autohaus AZ are good, but the shipping cost blow them out of the water a bit.

They sell Bosch and Karlyn plug leads, both are good especially for the price, and if you don't want to spends hundreds on genuine (Beru) leads this is the way I'd go. Although they state Bosch is OEM, it isn't. If the shipping proves to expensive, I can get them (Bosch) for AUD$100 landed here.

Might want to do the distributor cap and rotor while you are there as well. Bosch is okay on those as it is OEM. For plugs, you need non-resistor type plugs. I get mine from MB, but they are Bosch, but at least coming from MB I know 100% they are the right ones.

Anyway, work out what you are after, shoot me an email, I can give you an all up price, and if you can get it for cheaper, then good on you!! :)

That's the last of my plugs (pardon the pun). Sorry If I've rocked the boat.

Although you 107 guys might want to check this out (I can get 116 ones as well) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercedes-Ben...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c1b7fdfc

Last edited:

WGB

Hi Bill, I concur with Anthony's experience as far as Autohaus is concerned. I also obtained a shipping price from them and another supplier on three Air Cells - Autohaus $330.00, the other supplier $190.00. Both US currencies, both using US Postal. Therefore, may I strongly suggest to look over your shoulder when dealing with Autohaus nowadays. Regards Styria

Autohausaz went through a bad patch last year but the last parcel I imported was quite reasonable - they do give (usually) three options for postage but they don't always give the options until after you begin to place the order. Up until a year ago or so they were only giving one very expensive option.

This parcel came from Autohaus and the postage was about $170 which I think was quite reasonable for what I received.

Reardriveshaftandhubbearings.jpg

This parcel came from the classic centre - certainly the postage cost was quite minimal - ?about $45.

126flangesandfittings.jpg

Bill

OP

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
In my experience Autohause have great parts prices but well over the top shipping prices to Oz, this has not always been so but lately they must have changed policy, on a $270 order their shipping price was over $300 US, I paid the slighty more for the (genuine) parts and the shipping was $115, this included a 116 under hood pad so was a bulky parcel. I am happy to price any part you need, they will be genuine parts not oem.
BTW I have a set of 116/7 V8 plug leads in stock, PM me if you are interested

Thanks , what is the price for the leads ?
Available in Sydney ?

Fotografa

Just make sure they are the right leads, there were 4 different set of leads used for M116 and M117 engines, depending on the engine version and the distributor cap type.

Last edited:

abl567

Super Moderator
The set I have have the push on type ends and a 1K resister cap, being a M100 guy I am not familer with the threaded type.
I can supply an genuine set of plug leads for $230 + Freight and a genuine drag link for $100 + Freight, if ordered together freight would be about $40,
Prices are Australian Dollars. I would need your VIN prior to ordering to ensure the correct parts are supplied, delivery is usually 3-4 days, order Thursday and they arrive Monday. I am based in Seven Hills but can local courier to your home or work
I truly hope I am not "cutting anyones lunch" by posting these prices and do not supply parts for a living, more as a service than anything else.
If I have trodden on anyones toes please let me know

OP

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
The Joys of a second set of eyes !!
Regular mechanic back on deck , so i took it in for him to take a look
Test drive , up on the hoist , check out the front end.
Seems the drag link is not the culprit, more a case of 370,000K and 31 years meaning the old girl is getting a little loose, so plan is to do a general overhaul in the new year. Bushes replace tie rod ends etc. Rear end was done a few years ago, so i suppose it is time the front end got some extra attention.
Car actually drives well, tracks fine, no uneven tyre wear, i just get annoyed by what i view as unecessary clunks, new bushes etc should fix that.
Next on my list is a bit of rust repair,see if i can remember how to do it properly.