1978 Mercedes 450SEL 6.9

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It is not everyday that a top notch 6.9 comes up for sale. The car I am referring to belongs to TK fellow member 'Ofonteney" who has been the proud owner of his 1978 6.9 for just on about five to six years. In that time, he has spared no expense in maintaining his car in absolutely superb mechanical condition, and all his services and repairs are fully documented.

Prior to his purchase of JTO 000, the car had been owned by a well known and much respected NSW Club member, who had also spared no expense in keeping the car in superb condition, and receipts for service, repairs and maintenance date back to 2000, from whence I have had almost continual involvement. The car performs exceedingly well, as any well cared for 6.9 should. The car comes with almost brand new tyres of the correct 215.70.14 size, and will also carry 12 months registration.

Magnetite Blue in colour, with beige coloured upholstery, it is one of the more sought after colour combinations of the 116 model range. Carpets are in nice conditions, the door panels are still fully padded, the seats are in good condition being free of the loss of horse hair normally attributed to leather clad rear seats, and the paintwork is generally in fine condition, although not perfect. 'Ofonteney' now regularly commutes to France as part of his business, and this plus family circumstances are factors in his decision to seek a new and caring home for his car. The asking price is a very reasonable $21,000 or near offer and the car is offered to TK members first before it will be advertised elsewhere. Please send me a PM for further contact details and any questions a prospective purchaser may wish to obtain details from. Regards. Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I guess one could be put off easily enough by the mileage that the car has traversed, but it is of some importance to acquaint one self with a more comprehensive maintenance history the car has been subject to. As I have indicated, there are full service records dating back to prior the year 2000, and invoices include the replacement of a fully rebuilt differential, as the original one had a bolt let go in a big way completely destroying the unit.

Around about that time, the gearbox suffered a major failure with one of the clutch pack retaining circlips, resulting in the clutch plates moving out of their drum and destroying the splines of the clutch drum. So, those are two items that obviously have not travelled the distance indicated on the Speedometer. Naturally, with the comprehensive service history that comes with the car, there are full details of suspension and brake work, and many other items that have required regular maintenance and replacement, and those have been religiously attended to by the present caring owner.

BenzBoy, this is not a car worn out or on its last legs - it is in nice condition, ready for work and to be enjoyed for many years to come. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I guess one could be put off easily enough by the mileage that the car has traversed, but it is of some importance to acquaint one self with a more comprehensive maintenance history the car has been subject to. As I have indicated, there are full service records dating back to prior the year 2000, and invoices include the replacement of a fully rebuilt differential, as the original one had a bolt let go in a big way completely destroying the unit.

Around about that time, the gearbox suffered a major failure with one of the clutch pack retaining circlips, resulting in the clutch plates moving out of their drum and destroying the splines of the clutch drum. So, those are two items that obviously have not travelled the distance indicated on the Speedometer. Naturally, with the comprehensive service history that comes with the car, there are full details of suspension and brake work, and many other items that have required regular maintenance and replacement, and those have been religiously attended to by the present caring owner.

BenzBoy, this is not a car worn out or on its last legs - it is in nice condition, ready for work and to be enjoyed for many years to come. Regards Styria

Service history and a history of maintenance makes all the difference; I agree.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, the asking price is $21K., reasonably substantial although I can tell all and sundry that this figure is short of what the car has cost him. Fair enough, when a car needs maintenance or repairs, these have to be attended to. Olivier's car is not like any number of 6.9s that have simply been let go until it's all too late - Olivier made sure that this situation never arose. He did not skimp on repairs - for instance, engine oil was always of the full synthetic (Nulon) variety, and he only ever used genuine MB hydraulic fluid for suspension work.

I have his permission to negotiate on his asking price - anyone interested seriously, why not make a meaningful offer - the car has to be sold on account of his changed business activities. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Due to on and off sickness (colds and flu) issues that lasted just about two months, I was unable to devote the appropriate time required to assist Olivier with the sale of his car. Thus, it was returned to him about three weeks ago as he decided to set in motion his own efforts to look for prospective buyers.

Speaking to him the other day, he told me that he had received a fantastic response to the advertisement he had placed on Car Sales, showing some pics that I had taken on his behalf, plus some pertinent information relating to his car's service history. It would appear that a prospective buyer from Victoria has been in touch with him, and a sale is likely to be completed. Olivier also suggested that in the event of a non-sale, there are two firm buyers in Sydney that have asked to be put on a priority list.

I am indeed very pleased with the possible sale of this 6.9 at a substantial price - it just proves that 6.9s are becoming very much sought after. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Good to hear.
I am sure one day those who have been lucky to own a 6.9 (and have since sold it) would reminisce of the days they once drove and enjoyed this magnificent automobile.

Good luck Olivier.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, it is a sentiment that I have encountered from any number of ex-owners over the years - I should never have sold the car, what a fantastic machine etc. etc.

6.9s, in my view, can in fact be used on a daily basis as routine maintenance is relatively easy and inexpensive. Naturally, if major work is required, such as front and/or rear suspension, it can become expensive and that is to be expected. It should be remembered that nothing lasts forever, but once a job is done, you can forget about it for quite a few years to come. I had Gleaming Beauty's front suspension replaced some fifteen years ago, and it is not surprising that I now have a worn bottom ball joint and a noisy, knocking lower link suspension bush. Yet, despite all of this, there is no uneven tyre wear evident which, again, demonstrates the hardiness of these cars.

It is clearly evident that 6.9s are becoming sought after - now is still the time to buy one (must be a good car) and enjoy it for now and years to come. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have not spoken to Olivier, but it would appear that the car has changed hands. I will endeavour to obtain further details in due course. Regards. Styria

N.B. I can no longer see it on Car Sales.