1978 6.9

More threads by 260ebenz

abl567

Super Moderator
Interesting car Tim, why don't you tell us what you think of it and why you posted it and make your post interesting as well:p

Styria

The Godfather
I'll second abl567's sentiments. As you know Tim, cars on ebay and other outlets come and go, but if we have personal assessments and observations, at least it has given us the opportunity to evaluate what's being, or has been, advertised.

Personally, I find the car most attractive with its unusual wheels, but it is a pity that there are not more photographs. Unless you see pics of the interior and engine bay, judgement on its condition needs to be reserved. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
At the moment there are 6,259 Benzs (no apostrophe) for sale on Carsales...
Yes?
I don't believe it is polite to comment on other peoples' cars as advertised on the internet unless one is considering a purchase and asking for advice. Even then, wise counsel would suggest that comments be sought privately.
So there (correct spelling) is my thought of the day. :D
I will go back to the Lotus position and contemplate if it is possible to be a Zen Motorist in Sydney traffic (or some such nonsense...:eek:)
Regards,
Brian

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm of the opinion that if the car is on the interweb advertised for sale it has been placed in the public domain therefore subject to public scrutiny in the same way a car entered in a concour or show and shine is. We all go to these events and make comment on particular details of cars such as that sticker is not quite right, the carpet in the boot is not the correct loop, the windscreen wiper blades are aftermarket etc.
Sure if you come out and say this thing is a P.O.S don't buy it you are crossing the line.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I'm of the opinion that if the car is on the interweb advertised for sale it has been placed in the public domain therefore subject to public scrutiny in the same way a car entered in a concour or show and shine is. We all go to these events and make comment on particular details of cars such as that sticker is not quite right, the carpet in the boot is not the correct loop, the windscreen wiper blades are aftermarket etc.
Sure if you come out and say this thing is a P.O.S don't buy it you are crossing the line.
I would argue that there are some relevant considerations:
1. The owner has no right of reply or chance to answer questions and criticisms.
2. It is impossible to assess a car from pictures and thus the exercise can be futile without being able to see the car.
3. On the internet there is no sensitive and effective control of peoples' emotions or what can be hearsay. For example, Facebook allows people to run riot without accountability. Fortunately that does not happen here but the general precautionary principle is one I try to follow.
Thus; nice car, nice colour but there is not much more I could say with knowledge limited to a photograph.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Excellent thinking on the part of all contributors to this thread ! :confused: Regards Styria

N.B. As "I" said, there could have been a more comprehensive array of pictures because, after all said and done, Rob is asking a fairly substantial price for his car.