1978 Mercedes-Benz 400-Series 450 SEL AMG

More threads by 300SDude

300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
I think I'm in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Funny only today I was wondering what my Ronals would look like in gunmetal grey.... These are black, but very close.

For probably $14K landed here it's a damn bargain! Michel it'd make a lovely partner to your 500SL! You know you want to and I'll speak to your finance officer if it'll help! ;) The only problem is it's LHD and I'm not keen on the matt black bumpers. Gloss would be better. And the brown dashpad is pretty hideous. But my Silver Arrow will need a sister and I plan on doing her in the same colours....

It looks like she's got heated seats judging by the console.

Dude those speakers in the doors are aftermarket units added much later, like the LCD screens in the headrests.

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Dude yes they are after market did anyone else notice it looks like it is the real deal AMG 6.9 :D

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Looks like a partially restored low mileage car, recent paint job with AMG dress up kit.

That's my guess, without close examination of the car.
There is no report of rust (naturally), probably get away without mention of it, with this level of presentation. I would still like to examine it for rust before deciding to lodge a bid anyway..

There is no report of a compression test, and no independent report of how it drives. I would like to examine it for oil leaks. The condition of oil seals is more dependent on age rather than distance covered. There is a tendency for these cars to show signs of a de laminationg rear windscreen. Should be checked.

With 73 thousand miles reported as covered, I would like that confirmed with an intact service record of the car, to prove it's bona fides.

If it all checks out, this is a top car!

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I certainly did!! :D That's why I say it's a steal at that price.... In fact, I think it's the epitomy of a W116 and should really command a premium price; probably three times what they're selling it for! Even at three times the price, it's still a bargain when compared to a GTHO, which still sell for six figure sums. This AMG would be just as rare and far better to drive. I'd almost sell all mine just to have it! OMG did I just say that???

The only thing that worries me is that the yanks invented the art of body filler refinishing and so you'd wanna have it thoroughly inspected by someone knowledgeable who can be trusted....

I must say it surprised me that the PO has obviously spent quite a bit on the car, and yet the rear seat base is left wanting. And the genuine steering wheel could do with some TLC. If that was fixed the whole interior would look far better.

Last edited:
OP
300SDude

300SDude

I thought the back seat was kinda trashed as well, for the rest of the car looking to be in fairly good condition.

You would think that whenever they put the LCD's in the headrests, they would have had the rear seat re-stretched or something.

My front speakers in my dash are shot. Mine are in the top of the dash facing up towards the sky and not in front, facing you like some I've seen. My dash has a dashcap on it, which is glued to the original dash, so I would probably trash both of them trying to get it off to get to the speaker grilles.

I wouldn't mind having those door mounted ones.....I would just disconnect the ones in the dash. The rears would be fairly easy to get to, I believe.

LOL, not that the speakers that are in there are horrible, but everything I play through it sounds like it is actually coming from 1979!

I don't care for blacked-out chrome on any car. I like chrome.....A LOT, lol. One of the reason I love the older Mercedes.......you definitely know what is coming at you, unlike most of the new cars now that are all pretty-much bubbles on wheels. I miss the big grilles from older cars.

300SDude

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
mmmmmm

my thoughts exactly Mark :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
I contacted the seller and there's no books and no rust (apparently). Another thing that I wonder is where's the AMG speedo? Maybe at that time AMG just offered a range of accessories and modifications and an owner picked what they wanted? Thus it would be unusual that a car would have the lot? Is there any way to verify the origins of this car with AMG, or MB through the VIN?

I'm surprized someone from the M-100cc hasn't snapped it up already.

Dude you redeemed yourself for those SLC comments; what a great find! ;):cool::D

OP
300SDude

300SDude

I contacted the seller and there's no books and no rust (apparently). Another thing that I wonder is where's the AMG speedo? Maybe at that time AMG just offered a range of accessories and modifications and an owner picked what they wanted? Thus it would be unusual that a car would have the lot? Is there any way to verify the origins of this car with AMG, or MB through the VIN?

I'm surprized someone from the M-100cc hasn't snapped it up already.

Dude you redeemed yourself for those SLC comments; what a great find! ;):cool::D

LOL, thanks. :p

300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
Dude if I was in your shoes I'd beg, borrow, or steal for finances and book a cheap one way ticket to NY and drive the beast home!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't even think about it for a second and I wouldn't care if it took a week to get back!! In fact the longer driving her the better! :D:D

Last edited:
OP
300SDude

300SDude

Dude if I was in your shoes I'd beg, borrow, or steal for finances and book a cheap one way ticket to NY and drive the beast home!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't even think about it for a second and I wouldn't care if it took a week to get back!! In fact the longer driving her the better! :D:D

Maybe, if I was into gas-powered cars. :)

Everything I have is diesel and runs on WVO.

300SDude

Styria

The Godfather
Whilst Dude is sticking to his oil burners, let us dream about this beauty, but we must also have a closer look at her. Now, it says the colour is Silver - I suspect it is not Astral, but a different kind of ...Silver ? Anyway, that doesn't matter all that much, but from a personal point of view, ASTRAL (if it is) and this beautiful caramel coloured upholstery would clash a little. Someone remarked, and someone agreed, on the slightly deteriorated state of the back seat which, of course, is a well known trouble spot on the leather clad 116s. However, take a closer look at the front seats. Closer examination shows the collapsed state of those pleats as well. Again, nothing unusual, and the cars are well known for it.

In my eyes, the biggest bugbear is the 450 speedo. Yes, 450. I know, because Gleaming Beauty sports the genuine 6.9 speedo with the twin markings. Obviously, the one in GB is not genuine (GB never came with that speedo at the time of purchase), but I wanted to be different and someone was kind enough to obtain the speedo for me off ebay - I think. It cost a bit of money and, as I said, they are rare.Regarding that car's speedo, take note of the speed advisory markings for first and second gear.

Otherwise, this car seems fine and would occupy pride of place in my garage. Regards Styria Yeah, the speakers in the doors - I don't know. They seem well fitted and maybe that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
Well if the speedo's not right then it'd have to cast doubt on the mileage. Particularly with no service history.... Could it be a mockup? :confused:

BTW I'm really not keen on the colour of the interior.

I wonder if it has extractors? Curious there's no pic of the engine...

Styria

The Godfather
Well if the speedo's not right then it'd have to cast doubt on the mileage. Particularly with no service history.... Could it be a mockup? :confused:

BTW I'm really not keen on the colour of the interior.

I wonder if it has extractors? Curious there's no pic of the engine...
Unlike you, Mark, I like the interior colour. As well, I don't mind the Silver (?) colour - this particular colour is quite unusual and the black wheels set it off nicely.Also, have another look at the carpets - they look somewhat dirty (discoloured from age ?) in the sections other than the rear gearbox tunnel. There might be a couple of dark clouds on the horizon......Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark after considerable time looking and asking i am confident amg never made extractors for the m-100 engine . I have seen the amg catalog for the 6.9 and it list 3 stages of engine mods dearest was about 40000 and extractors are not listed .:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark it would appear that someone on the m-100 site is interested in this car .Has stated that they have put a bid in to buy it and is having their mechanic look at this car. They allready have a black 6.9 . Mark just so you know most amg 6.9 from what i have been able to find out had cosmetic mods and no engine mods. As they would do as much or as little to your car in those days as you were willing to pay. the known amg 6.9 in the Mercedes muesem list tunning as stage1 and quotes engine output as 210 which is standard just so you know.:D

Oversize

Grand Master
I do know there was a company in the USA (not AMG) who were selling extractors for the 6.9 not long after it was introduced. I do have a brochure and I'll see if I can dig it out and scan. Trouble is they'd be LHD versions and no good to any of us Aussies... :(

OP
300SDude

300SDude

I don't care for the color combination so much either. The saddle color does not go with silver if you ask me. Of course, I have never been a big fan of any shade of brown on a car. Blue, grey, black or the parchment are the ones I like. I wouldn't have minded mine having parchment interior panels. It would have went nice with the color I had the seats done in. But then, because mine is a darker color, I would like the contrast with the parchment door panels.

The whole ad seems kind of odd to me actually. For all the hoopla they have devoted to making the "ad" look so pretty, (they are obviously a dealer) they didn't describe the car very well in their description.

If they actually knew what they had or what it would be worth if described properly, they might get some money out of it. By looking at the other cars that are sitting around it in their showroom, this one doesn't look to be one of their highest priority cars to be putting effort into selling.

What are those "dots" above the glove box? And that joystick looking thing in front of the emergency flashers button?

300SDude

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
I think you are right Dude. Better advertising and they could get a lot more. They seem more worried about the warranty (or lack thereof) and terms n conditions to cover any liability issues. The LCD screens suggest there's a really nice sound system including head unit and amps, but there's no mention of it at all. No pix of the rear parcel shelf including the speakers, or the boot, or the engine. And I still don't understand how a car that's supposed to have this great heritage doesn't have any books. Seems rather convenient considering the speedo issue and entirely sus. Being up-front about things is the key to good advertising, but as we all know dealers just don't seem to get it....

The dots could be IR sensors for a hidden head unit and the joystick could be aftermarket fader/balance.

Yes I think it's the brown dash that kills the interior for me, rather than the saddle trim.

Last edited:

WiSeGuYY

Nice car indeed . i phoned my son ( who is in NEW YORK) to try to look at it , he is not interested lol .

i think he put his eyes on the RED PIG back home.

REGARDS

TAREK