Mercedes Stops Development...

More threads by Oversize

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I'm not really their target as I buy used not new, but already some of their offerings are less appealing.

It would seem that here in Australia, you can either get a turbo four banger, or an AMG. They don't seem to offer the non-AMG six or eight cylinder models that are in my view much better.

The AMG cars are too blingy and cost too much to run, and I prefer the torque and smoothness of the normal engines.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I guess the Daimler Benz has been forced to take the commercial risk.
Toyota may well come out on top for reliability and reputation over the long term. Like DB, they have the capability to pour a huge amount of resources into R&D.
Toyota's current plans do not include an all electric vehicle for the Australian market, most probably due to Australia's over commitment to wind and solar power. Hybrid vehicles are another matter. Australia is a big country. Long distance re charging is not possible.

If IC engine R&D is to stop, I feel forced to keep running with them, looking for reliability, especially for hobby or classic cars, and long distance motoring.

For the best IC engines,
I have already spent some time Googling:
'The Worlds most reliable V8 engines' - not the most powerful.

The M113 V8 is up there, some like them supercharged.
The CLK 55 AMG and the C55 AMG go quite well.
Some like the Toyota LS400, which has a non interference Quad cam 1UZ FE engine - not a disaster if the timing belt breaks. I have read comments that this engine was over designed. The most reliable quad cam V8 engine ever produced.

Not keen on the M156 (exclusive AMG) or the M273 Quad cam V8's because of possible short life and reliability problems, due to faulty metal quality in some parts. Design is excellent.

I have considered a Lexus IS 300:- probably a better competitor than the W203 C 320. Both are mostly unsung, both have very nearly the same power and torque. Excellent performance and reliability, if properly maintained. The IS 300 is a slightly smaller car. The 3 litre 2JZ GE straight 6 has a cast iron block, but the turbocharged version in the Supra goes very nicely. Very hard to find any reliability problems with the Toyota engine, when doing a Google search.

We are spoiled for choice for some very reliable 4 cylinder engines, across a range of manufacturers.

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I won’t stop or concede defeat until the bowsers run dry....

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Not keen on the M156 (exclusive AMG) or the M273 Quad cam V8's because of possible short life and reliability problems, due to faulty metal quality in some parts. Design is excellent.
The M272 can be good from what I have read if you don't buy the first couple of years. You can check the VINs for the bad engines, I posted the details of this on my E350 thread.

The 3 litre 2JZ GE straight 6 has a cast iron block, but the turbocharged version in the Supra goes very nicely. Very hard to find any reliability problems with the Toyota engine, when doing a Google search.

I had this engine in my old GS300. Nice motor, need to change the timing belt every 150k.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
The problem with the quad cam V8 M273 engine and the V6 M272 engine was that the sprocket wheel that drives the timing chains wears out prematurely.
This allows the distribution of fine metal particles throughout the engine from new.
For the V8, they used a much harder steel alloy after engine number 8612, which occurred in late 2008. Both the M272 V6 and the M 273 ran far enough for Mercedes to avoid warranty. Don't know the engine number for the M272 V6. Wear becomes evident in the camshaft lobes.
There was a class action court case in the U.S. over this problem.

These engines are excellent after this problem was solved, provided that your engine was built with the improved sprocket wheel.

My most admired Mercedes model is the CLK 500 with the M 273 engine, but without the sprocket wheel problem. Probably the C 207 CLK 500 production had terminated before solution of the M273's woes had been solved.
A relatively small car, 285 kW, 540 Nm, but not the expense of being AMG. A real "lamb? in disguise" pocket rocket, but would be as rare as hen's teeth.

sean sherry

Master
Both our C Class W204 Turbos CGI Engines have the same Timing Gear and Chain Issues. It seems they start rattling around 100,000 Ks. At 80,000 Ks on both Cars, I wonder if we have the same problem of metal floating around in the system ? I guess I could cut open the Oil Filters to see.?:(

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If such a problem exists as a result of soft metal used for the sprocket wheel,
AND
the car has not been serviced every six months from new,
THEN
wear can be detected in the camshaft lobes.

IF
the car has had it's oil changed every six months, wear in the engine will be much less, because any stray metal particles will be taken out of the engine with the oil and filter change.

I am about to have the camshaft covers removed from my 1998 M112 V6 (because of gasket leaks), and I will instruct that the camshaft lobes be carefully examined. My car does not show even the slightest sign of blowing smoke, despite 215,000 klms covered. So that is a good sign.

It seems that the supplier, (or DB themselves), for sprocket wheels at the Underturkheim plant is where the engine components were made, and over a number of years, is where the problem may have originated. The problem doesn't normally show up until after 100,000 klms, and well outside the (then) standard MB warranty, so therefore DB were able to dodge the class action against them

It looks like the M112 V6, the M272 V6, the M273 V8, and the M156 V8 AMG engines were affected. Dates of engine build U]from[/U] around 1998-2002 to mid 2008.
Despite a lot of research, I cannot find any info that the M113 V8 engines were affected, but I have no idea why. They have a timing chain sprocket wheel, but they do not have a balance shaft sprocket wheel as well. (not needed)

The balance shaft in the middle of the 'V' on 90 degree V6 engines was needed to balance out first and second harmonics vibration on these engines.
The 90 degree V8's had no harmonic vibration problems in this regard.

Last edited: