Petrol smell in cabin of 450SEL 4.5 L

More threads by 450SEL1979

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
Hi folks
I have a persistent issue of petrol smell in cabin of one of my 450SELs and less frequent petrol smell issue in the other one
Either way it is a problem that I need some advice on how I can eliminate it
Smell is mainly front passenger side and a bit noticeable from drivers seat
Any advice on cause and how I can fix it will be appreciated
Thanks Brendan

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It doesn't look like the W116 experts are going to help here Brendan; not sure where they have all gone ......
The problem with a petrol smell is the leak can be anywhere in the system even if the smell is located only in certain areas. You are going to have to go right over the system looking for it - all pipes and junctions need to be checked right the way from the tank to the injectors because it becomes a major safety issue. The leak can be anywhere and you'll need a systematic approach to work from one end of the car to the other. It may also be more than one leak ... so don't stop when you find the first source as there may be others.
I know this is not quite what you wanted but it's the approach I would take to avoid a potential fire risk.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Well, not a lot of info. has been forthcoming. I can certainly clear up one factor - the car is D-Jet, and a very nice Anthracite exterior colour - I am aware that's got nothing to do with the fuel leak/smell. So what have we - leak or merely a smell ? Brendan, where are you ? External leaks should be easy to find, as as a rule it is just a matter of look and see. Fuel smells are somewhat more difficult to detect, but again looking and seeing is your first option. After that, keep on looking and seeing - sooner or later you will find it. At least, that's been my experience for the last fifty or so years. Regards. Styria

OP

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
Sorry I have been offline for a few weeks and the car has been in the mechanics
Had a number of the things done including blowing out all of the hoses connected to the ventilation system
Also replaced some vacumn hoses plus new spark plugs and a tune
Not running rich anymore and petrol fume issue has improved
Will check that fuel cap suggestion

Next step is a new set of ignition leads

Any suggestions on who can supply these ?
I have two 450SEL a 74 and a 75. Both 4.5 L

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Brendon, why do you wish to replace the high tension leads ? Are they faulty, and have you had them checked for continuity ? Could it be that just the suppressors are at fault - that's if you are having issues in that area. Generally, Mercedes leads do last very well, and they are often replaced even if there is no need to do so. Regards Styria