Petrol consumption

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
:confused:I know we can all check the accuracy of ODOs against the kilometres markers on the Motorways. But can the fuel usage readout be believed ? I know we can brim the Tank and then back to the same Pump, but with accurate electronics measuring fuel ( Petrol ) being injected, it should not be necessary to go to this trouble. The tests conducted by Journalists seem to rely on the on board electronics in the car.
I know the Service Intervals can be easily reset to any Time / Distance. via the OBD11 Port.
So why not everything else ?

BHW

Connoisseur
Hi Sean, I've personally never trusted the accuracy and in fact have read many articles supporting such findings as, "5.5 percent inaccurate on average", "gauges come standard and skew high" and claims of "fuel economy 19-20 percent higher than the actual result". Have you ever been shorted at a pump??? I have more then once. You don't always get what you pay for and stations have been fined and shut down for fraud. I drove an auto one time where the gauge was reading approximately a third of a tank upon arrival, I wasn't going to travel far and upon leaving said destination the fuel gauge suddenly dropped to just about empty. It's an average guestimation for me wherein if I think I'm getting about what I'm paying for at the pump and I know roughly the auto's miles per gallon I do a give and take as to the best estimate. Regards, BHW