Vacuum systems: doors, boot, petrol cap

More threads by B13

B13

Quick question... are these the only items affected by the vacuum system? I wan't to ditch it by disconnecting the vacuum source at the manifold and install a vacuum gauge there.

Can anyone see any problems with that?

I don't want to touch the distributor vacuum advance systems, or the power brakes, just pick up a suitable vacuum source from the intake manifold with no non-return valve in it.

I.

WGB

Vacuum system also controls the HVAC - but I guess that carefully controlled air conditioning is not a priority when racing:D

Other than that the only other item other than the ignition controlled by vacuum is the Vacuum modulator on the automatic.

Bill

OP
B

B13

Thanks WGB.

I haven't had a good hard look yet, but I'm gathering a line runs from the intake manifold to a reservoir, and then that feeds the doors, boot, petrol cap, and HVAC.

This line I'll connect to my vac gauge and leave the ignition vacuum advance and auto trans vac untouched.

Where to mount the vac guage... :)

WGB

There is a central line that runs from deep down the back of the manifold at the rear and ends up in a reservoir in the right wing. There is another line that feeds the system via several one way valves with a separate reservoir for the central locking attached to the back of the fuel tank.

The distributor advance comes off the front of the CIS unit deep down and there is a vacuum retard which is used more to control the idle when the air-con compressor is engaged but I would be careful about any other functions it might have.

There are three generations of colour coding for the various vacuum lines and there is a very good diagram in the Workshop Manual. Go into Heating and ventilation and open the HVAC heading - not the automatic climate control heading - and you should find all the information you need.

Bill