Assistance required with orientation of front lower arm bushes.

More threads by WGB

WGB

I am working to the final goal of replacing as many rubber bits as practical on my 6.9 and when the weather cools a little here I will be replacing the subframe yoke bushes and the lower front suspension arm bushes and ball joint.

Thanks to the usual excellent service from autohausaz.com here is a collection of bits for one side as an example.

Frontlowerbushes2.jpg
My question concerns the orientation in a vertical plane of all the various cutouts so that the front end has the correct compliance while getting the best direct control.

Here is a list of the three components oriented in the manner I assume is correct.

Frontlowerarmbushes1.jpg

The subframe yoke bush orientation is not given in any manual but I assume some vertical compliance is useful while lateral movement is not desired - hence it should be pressed into the yoke in the orientation displayed.

The rear and front lower arm bushes are displayed in the manual and appear to be pressed in in the orientation displayed in the picture.

The rear bearing allows some lateral compliance but is rigid vertically while the front bush has a small kidney shaped void which should be orientated beneath the arm.

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
WGB

WGB

Obviously everyone found this a rivetting read as there were no replies but for the sake of completeness here is a picture of the orientation of the later single piece yoke bushes in my car.

LHYokeBushwithheatshield.jpg

Bill