Euro 6.9 front molding part number?

More threads by john erbe

john erbe

Noble
Going to install euro bumpers on my 6.9 but noticed that I will also need that piece/molding of either rubber or plastic that runs across the front on the chasis behind the bumper. Does anyone out there have the part number?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi John Erbe, it is a fairly discreet plastic spoiler, and there are probably about 90 left in Germany, but you should have no trouble buying it in the States. In Oz country, it sells for about $A370.00 (grossly overpriced) and you may well find that Autohausz Arizona should be able to procure one for you at a more realistic price.

Apologies for not being able to quote you a part number - the spare parts outlets have now closed for the day in Sydney. Regards Styria

WGB

Hi John - exactly which part are you referring to.

There is a small valence behind the top of the bumper in steel which sits above the mounts or an apron which bolts beneath the bumper and contains a two piece plastic grille.

Attached to this lower apron on 6.9's is often a black ?rubber spoiler or as on my car this lower apron has been removed and replaced with an AMG spoiler with the original plastic two piece grille placed into this.

I will look it up in my EPC if I know exactly what you want.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, it's the black plastic spoiler that John is referring to. They were only fitted to 6.9's as standard equipment, but many have been damaged when, at some time or other, unknowing service personnel would lower a car indiscriminately onto the body part of a trolley jack and thus damage that little spoiler - easy to do if one is not familiar with 6.9's and the locking feature of the suspension set-up. Regards Styria

s class

The plastic strap spoiler - I can't find a part number for this.

The horizontally mounted metal strip behind the bumper, visible when the bonnet is open, and looking down at the bumper, is (as best I can tell from the diagrams) 1168840048 - I would confirm this at the dealer before ordering though.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class, John is referring to the lip spoiler made of plastic. I wish I'd have a photo so that I can illustrate the part. Will get the part number for him today. Regards Styria

s class

DSCN3922a.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class, that's the 'puppy' and you're right - they should be black. Regards, Styria

OP
J

john erbe

Noble
Thanks all. Also got some info from the other web sites. Looks like I'm going to have to get over to that guys yard and take another look and photo. If I recall it was more of a molding and based on your responses there may be other parts I need. Thought this was going to be just a question of throwing on different bumpers...wrong. Owner of car has just let it sit and rot, hoping for some buyer to drop out of sky, what a waste.

MercedesMike

Hello all. I'm a new 6.9 owner and a new member of the forum. I posted an inquiry on W116.org and several of you pointed me to this board. Similar to the original poster on this thread, I also recently installed Euro Bumpers on my US-spec 6.9 and find I need the chin spoiler to complete the look. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to source one (salvage or repro)? Anyone know the part number?

WGB

Hi Mike,

Are you looking for the little black plastic chin spoiler or the AMG repro one that Styria has been selling and looks like this.

UMB690.jpg

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mercedes Mike, you will find a "round about" reply to your dilemma in another thread on topklasse - I posted it a matter of minutes ago. Now, are you after the original chin spoiler as per posts or an AMG look -alike copy - all details can be found on this site. Regards Styria

B

BAR

Not that I mean to be a 'wet blanket', but how does one manage to circumvent the Government Design Rules and so forth, given that the USA had introduced the 'impact absorbing' bumper requirement and hence the difference between USA and rest of the world for the bumpers.

If you were to replace your USA bumpers with the 'global' design, wouldn't you also risk voiding your insurance.

I know that in the USA you are a faily litigious lot, so were I living there, even though I hate the look of the W116 with USA bumpers, I'd be fearful of having an accident and the possible consequences; any claim on an individual for damages could potential be disasterous if their insurer did a 'Pontius Pilate'.

MercedesMike

I'm interested in the AMG spoiler as that look is personally appealing (although I've had respondents to other posts elsewhere provide other opinions). Styria, I will look for your post elsewhere but perhaps a pointer to the topic heading to make my search easier?

BAR, to your question, you raise an interesting one. Several points: the US-spec bumpers were mandated by the US Dept of Transportation (DOT) for the manufacturers of vehicles as a response to insurance company lobbyists in the '70s. The bumpers were designed to withstand a 5mph bump without creating damage to the vehicle. Having said that, vehicle owners can do whatever they want to their own vehicles. There's even an industry associated known as SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) that lobbies lawmakers on behalf of enthusiasts so that owners can modify their vehicles with aftermarket parts and accessories (currently a multi billion dollar business). The US system of government is amazing isn't it? For every industry lobby, there's a counter-lobby.

As for me, I just like the way it looks so I'll do whatever I damn please. Besides, I'm a lawyer.

B

BAR

Go for it!

I have one of Styria's spoilers on my car and it looks great.

Just order one and feel pleased that you have made a good choice.

B13

Its a good time to order one from Styria with the $A so low at the moment, you'll be getting it some 40% cheaper than if you'd bought it 4 months ago when the $A/$USD were nearly in parity.

My 6.9 has one of those AMG fronts and it does / did look great however with some suspension issues I've had recently the poor thing has gotten a little damaged so I'm going back to original.

I think on a black car like yours the original front matt-black chin spoiler will be very difficult to see, whereas its more pronounced on a lighter coloured car. Go the AMG and you'll never look back.

Ian.

MercedesMike

Michel: Thanks for the pointer to the thread. Unfortunately something may not be set up properly with my ID as I am getting the following message:

MercedesMike, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Styria, can you help?

B

BAR

Styria wrote:
Hi everyone in TOPKLASSE country,

I am still in position to have more of those spoilers reproduced. The genuine lipspoiler as factory fitted to all 6.9's have really shot up in price during the last twelve months - in excess of $360.00 plus, and my reproduction unit is now competitively priced at $375.00 plus postage. We can even paint the unit to the colour of your choice at a much cheaper rate than panel beaters' prices.

In due course, it is hoped to display some pictures, but in the meantime, perusing WGB's avatar illustrates the effectiveness of the installation. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel: Thanks for the pointer to the thread. Unfortunately something may not be set up properly with my ID as I am getting the following message:

MercedesMike, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Styria, can you help?

Mike,

Try this way
Go to THE VENDOR - TOPKLASSE SHOP
then go to RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS
then to the thread : Amg Reproduction Spoilers

You should get it there..