Cheap euro 500SEL engine in Melb

More threads by B13

B13

For those of you looking for one, there's a cheap 500SEL engine at Pick-a-part in Campbelfield. They are having a 1/2 price sale on engines this weekend which means you should be able to get this motor for about $200 or slightly less.

This was the 500SEL I was checking out in Dec/Jan but didn't buy, and the owner finally sent it to the wreckers... no on wanted to buy it because of the blown diff or trans.

BUT

While I was there in Dec I did put my battery in and the car started up within 2 cranks even though it had been sitting for 6 months, the engine is very healthy with no smoking whatsoever and the K-jet system is perfect.

I.

abl567

Super Moderator
Or a W124 E300, remember the Porsche bulit E500;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Isn't the 500 a bit of a slug (when fitted to a W126) and i don't mean because of the weight but because of the internals..

OP
B

B13

Depending on which web site you source your information from, the 'dirty' hi-comp 5.0L M117 which runs on leaded petrol and has no pollution controls has the legs (in terms of acceleration) (just) over the 'clean' 560 unleaded petrol engine, which has a bunch of pollution controls hampering its performance potential.

The slug engine in the W126 you are probably thinking of is the 380 M116.

I.

SELfor50

The 500 is a slug, cause of the diff ratio and the weight. A 5.0L M117 in a light car with the right diff.. weapon. All dependant on the loose nut behind the steering wheel of course.

An extreme longshot is finding one of the very rare short stroke M117 5.0L engines, according to advice i've been given, they rev their t!ts off! ..after numerous bargaining attempts, the owner still won't sell it to me though. :(

TJ 450

Performance and reliability wise, there's nothing wrong with the 500 M117... except for the timing chains of course.

In the W126, it's pretty slow state of affairs off the mark indeed, however SELfor50 is on the money! A 500 with the 4-Speed in a W116 would be an absolute weapon!

Tim

Fotografa

The 500 is a slug, cause of the diff ratio and the weight. A 5.0L M117 in a light car with the right diff.. weapon. All dependant on the loose nut behind the steering wheel of course.

An extreme longshot is finding one of the very rare short stroke M117 5.0L engines, according to advice i've been given, they rev their t!ts off! ..after numerous bargaining attempts, the owner still won't sell it to me though. :(

Please tell me more about this short stroke M117 500! What was the bore, to keep it at 5.0L with the shorter stroke? What were they used in? What was the engine designation? M117.XXX? Were they MB, or altereed aftermarket by AMG or similar?

Dead keen for this info! Cheers.

John S

I know that the 380 engine was made with two different bore / stroke ratios. The original American motor had a slightly smaller bore but a longer stroke than the original European motor, it also had a single row, not double row, chain.

Later Mercedes decided to standardise on one 380 motor so even the Europeans were supplied with the American dimensioned motor, but Europe stayed with the more reliable double chain and did not have all the antipollution gear.

As far as I know the 500 was only made with one bore / stroke size, but I have lent my books to a Club member so unfortunately I cannot check to be certain.

OP
B

B13

I think Cam's talkin' 'bout the rare 5025cc engine in the 1978-79 450SLC 5.0 which had a comp ratio of 8.8:1 and a bore/stroke of 97/85mm but to me there's not much in it between that and the normal 500SE/SEL engine which is 4973cc, 9.2:1 comp ratio and a bore/stroke of 96.5/85mm - its what I would call "bugger all" difference.

Here's my source for info I was talkin' 'bout the 500 engine having the legs on the 560: http://www.answers.com/topic/mercedes-benz-r107

"Despite the larger 5.6 liter engine of the 560 SL, the 500 SL is recorded as being the fastest production 107 produced (mostly because of the lack of emission restraints, but also late 500 SLs were more powerful than the 560 SL.) The 500 SL was published by Mercedes-Benz as having 0-60 times of 7.4 seconds for a top speed of 225 km/h (140 mph). Torque for the 500 SL is 296 lbft @3200 rpm and for the 560 SL 287 lbft @ 3500 rpm. The 500 SL was not available in the U.S. or Australian markets through Mercedes Benz dealers."

I.

TJ 450

The 5L M117 in the 450SLC 5.0 is also set up for the bellhousing of the 722.003 W3B050 three-speed transmission installed in that car. Yes, it has the same transmission as the 6.9.

That engine is very unique and rare.

BTW, I forgot to mention the 2nd gear start as being the main killer of performance in the W126 500... thankfully a modification to the later version valve body is all that's required to enable it by default.

Tim

Lukas

BTW, I forgot to mention the 2nd gear start as being the main killer of performance in the W126 500... thankfully a modification to the later version valve body is all that's required to enable it by default.

Tim

So it would start in 2nd by default? And only switch down to 1st when driving up the Matterhorn or something? That's different.

John S

You can start in first by moving the gear lever to the lowest position, then click it sideways to get first gear start.

If you put the gear lever in 3rd and floor the accelerator to obtain kickdown you should also take off in first gear.

TJ 450

You can start in first by moving the gear lever to the lowest position, then click it sideways to get first gear start.

If you put the gear lever in 3rd and floor the accelerator to obtain kickdown you should also take off in first gear.

You can indeed, although it does get quite annoying after a while (clicking into 1st).

AFAIK, the 380s started in first by default and you can't manually select it with the selector. I have only driven my 380SE a few metres before removing the engine and trans, so I can't confim that yet, but it looks to be the case.

Tim