Cheap 6.9 on eBay with blue wheels and grille - for restorers

More threads by B13

oscar

Why should one not expect to put it back on the road again? As per the ad. Did I read it right? Good engine and trans etc but the rest ordinary. It's my kind of 6.9 a big fat project. I'm interested but not if you know what I mean.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It looks too good to wreck...

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
At the other end of the scale, in the April, '09 issue of just Just Cars, I spotted a Qld. 6.9 for $25K (AUD). Looks like it has 225 16 60 tyres on alloys. Alledged the suspension never drops, progressively rebuilt over 10 years. Also a 6.3, the same price, same magazine, also Qld., minor rust edge boot and l.h.s. front quarter panel, 12 mths rego, full service records. No mention of distance covered in either case.

oscar

Did you guys notice the bonnet emblem.... the crosshairs :D

85291.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
The guy is actually selling two cars, with the other being a 1987 300SE which looks in fine condition.

The 6.9 is not a 1978 model - I think more like 1976 with those early numbers. I have driven one 'early' model and, by crickey, it went like lighting. Lots of blue smoke, but it 'smoked' - if you know what I mean. If anyone from 'topklasse' were to buy this car, I could supply them with a very good blue interior (out of Gleaming Beauty), and that would give me the opportunity to fit a new interior to her.

I would imagine, if this car is as bad as it is, buyers will not be readily forthcoming and one may well buy it below the expected price. A lot depends on the body itself. Another facet to remember - buyer at Rose Bay, car at Leichhardt.

P. S. BTW, Ossie, what are you actually referring to as far as the bonnet star is concerned ? I can't make out as to what is in its place. Regards Styria

oscar

P. S. BTW, Ossie, what are you actually referring to as far as the bonnet star is concerned ? I can't make out as to what is in its place. Regards Styria

I didn't notice till much later, but the star appears to have been replaced with a cross-hair targeting sight just like a gunsight in a Messerschmitt fighter plane. Here's a close up.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If anyone from 'topklasse' were to buy this car, I could supply them with a very good blue interior (out of Gleaming Beauty), and that would give me the opportunity to fit a new interior to her.
Regards Styria

What's sort of money would that be Godfather?

SELfor50

Stand back people... I know a car that needs more Litre-age.

Might make this lad an offer on this one, can anyone in sydney go and check it out for me? I'm only interested in the engine / gearbox.

Lukas

Might make this lad an offer on this one, can anyone in sydney go and check it out for me? I'm only interested in the engine / gearbox.

Do it Cam - I agree with the others though, pending disasterous rust in this one, it looks too good to part up. For example, from the small photos, it has less rust than the Gold one. Mileage is good too. I reckon this is what you've been waiting for.....:):):)

I'm kind of tempted myself actually - I've had 2 people ask about all the Mercs in my front yard this last week, and only because I happened to be out there for 5 mins.

PS - if you do only want the drivetrain, I'm sure others here would get the suspension bits etc.

Roll on garage.....

-bb-

Noble
If you do get it Cam and decide to part it out, I'm sure I could take some bits off your hands. On the other hand, it might be your ticket to 6.9 ownership... :cool:

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi come on you guys, don't you think that it'd be sacrilege to send a 6.9 body to the crusher ? I understand all of you what your various needs and desires are (SELfour50 don't take offence) and I don't lose sight of the fact that it is none of my business to interfere, but please, let a 6.9 be a 6.9 and let's try and keep it on the road,for future times.

Look at it rationally. As a spare parts car, the interior is pretty well, shall we say, RS ? The body - we don't know as photos , as a rule, do not convey a true assessment of a car's condition. Don't we all know that ? That leaves the precious mechanicals - if we were to forget the 'excellent' motor and gearbox, just how much do we know about the other bits ? Very much uncertain. Anyway, these are just my thoughts and, PLEASE, no offence intended. Regards Styria

SELfor50

None taken Styria... when I started racing a W116, I didn't intend it to be the flavour of the month.. So naturally, wanting to send a 6.9 to an early grave just to use the engine in a race-car, I expect the same. :)

And I can appreciate the fact that all 6.9's should be saved. But then again, 1 less average 6.9 on the road, means an increase in interest for those good to excellent ones that are left. ;)

My 450 after-all, for the $300 I paid for it, could've definitely been saved.
In fact, with a little work on the rust and a nice paint job, it would've been a great example. The velour interior was in great nick when I got it, the engine didn't miss a beat at all (and after nearly 2 years of WOT show's the capacity of it), and nearly everything electrical worked. BUT - for me, I chose a different 'new lease of life' for the ol' girl. And she tells me everyday how much she loves me for it. ;)

In saying that, I don't think I have the capacity to grab this project at the moment.. if it was a month ago (as always) and I hadn't just spent a wad of $$$ on other hardware, then I would've hit buy it now. Such is life.

So........ who's putting their hand up for this one? According to the seller, there's been a heap of interest?! :confused:

abl567

Super Moderator
Cam, what about a E55 wreck in QLD for $3.5k

But in the meantime if you want a 'real' engine,this guy in Melbourne Australia has a E55 AMG which is smashed up and cannot be reregistered. he needs to sell it NOW because the lease is up on his friends garage .$3500 gets a complete E55 (0-100=4.5 seconds) .
Sam Elamir [elamirs@gmail.com]

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've canned my idea on a E55 transplant into a 107, so I'm offering my donor car.

The car is a updated 2000 model E55 with the 5.5l engine (M113) and 5spd auto.

The car has sustained heavy left hand side damage and as such is a statutory write-off so can not be re-registered.

The good bits - driveline is intact and undamaged, all the AMG calipers and discs and exhaust are there, AMG rear bar, sideskirts, and smoke lights are all there, right hand side doors with airbags intact, AMG hammer wheels, sunroof, black wood on the dash, all the front end bit less the front bar and ECU

I dont have the keys so the car doesnt start, but any leak down test on the engine is welcome, and previous service history is available from Jucaro Motors leading up to the accident, I also have proof of purchase receipt from Pickles Auction group for 11k that i paid for it.

Imagine that:D:D:D:D

SELfor50

Cam, what about a E55 wreck in QLD for $3.5k

But in the meantime if you want a 'real' engine,this guy in Melbourne Australia has a E55 AMG which is smashed up and cannot be reregistered. he needs to sell it NOW because the lease is up on his friends garage .$3500 gets a complete E55 (0-100=4.5 seconds) .
Sam Elamir [elamirs@gmail.com]

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've canned my idea on a E55 transplant into a 107, so I'm offering my donor car.

The car is a updated 2000 model E55 with the 5.5l engine (M113) and 5spd auto.

The car has sustained heavy left hand side damage and as such is a statutory write-off so can not be re-registered.

The good bits - driveline is intact and undamaged, all the AMG calipers and discs and exhaust are there, AMG rear bar, sideskirts, and smoke lights are all there, right hand side doors with airbags intact, AMG hammer wheels, sunroof, black wood on the dash, all the front end bit less the front bar and ECU

I dont have the keys so the car doesnt start, but any leak down test on the engine is welcome, and previous service history is available from Jucaro Motors leading up to the accident, I also have proof of purchase receipt from Pickles Auction group for 11k that i paid for it.

Imagine that:D:D:D:D

Hmmm.... seriously contemplated this. It is the type of thing i'm looking for.. but I took a turn in the last 24 hours and entered the property market.. so for now, if i'm going to take up any more projects, I gotta liquidate some of my current ones. :(
The fella sent me some pics and details already. If it's still around in the next 2months, I'll prob snap it up.. who knows. Anyone else in QLD up for a fast engine conversion project?! :)

SELfor50

On another note, i'm guessing no-body took up the offer of a 6.9 parts car for 2.5K???
Didn't sell.................. :confused: The seller told me he had plenty of interest. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bring on the price drop I say. :D

Andreas

I bought it. Seems like it is not to bad. The dealer to it to the transport yard and drove it for 40 min at 110km/h. Said it never missed a beat and the motor and gearbox was excellent. Now what to do with it? Only joking.:D

I like lucky dips:p

Styria

The Godfather
Well Mister Herr, it's been a long time between drinks ! :D I am glad you got the car as I really did think it was too good to send it to the crusher.

It will indeed be interesting to see what you're going to do with it - that does make it four now, doesn't it ?

On a different note, when you went on your "sojourn" last year, did you manage to take any photos ? With such an interesting location, I would love to see some photos - "topklasse" DOES have a section that could accomodate them........ Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I bought it. Seems like it is not to bad. The dealer to it to the transport yard and drove it for 40 min at 110km/h. Said it never missed a beat and the motor and gearbox was excellent. Now what to do with it? Only joking.:D

Congratulations..... Another one saved and another one lost to South Australia....:D

For the money, I don't believe you can go wrong ;)

SELfor50

Nice work mate!!! Do you mind me asking how much you negotiated it for?? :confused:

Cam.