The other SOHC big block on Ebay!

More threads by Oversize

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark i always wanted 1 of these when i had my 69 Galaxie Coupe even though mine had a 428 super Cobra jet motor with duel quads . This is the engine i wanted .Wish i still had that car it was a great cruiser . not so much a good driver as it only got between 120 to 160 miles around town to its 80 litre fuel tank.Geoff:eek:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
The Cammer is my all time favorite engine, followed by the Hammer and the 6.9. The main reason I chose the 6.9 was better parts availability (relative to the other rare engines) and the cost of initial purchase. Which leads me to another thread.....

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
That loooooong timing chain always makes me wonder if they are the best way to actuate valves.

I know! I know! my 6.9 engine is designed like this! Why do that when only lower engines revs are required?

Perhaps a better way would be the
'Poor man's DOHC' method, with a shorter chain to directly above the crankshaft, and two shorter ones to each camshaft with a spur gear to drive the adjacent camshaft in the head?

Or, perhaps another approach:
Use computer controlled, pneumatic or hydraulic directly actuated valves valves instead. Each valve can be accurately controlled by the engine management computer.

Do away with all that complicated valve actuation machinery altogether.

Actually, most of the anecdotes I have heard is that the 428 was a more reliable engine than the 427.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
The Cammer is my all time favorite engine, followed by the Hammer and the 6.9. The main reason I chose the 6.9 was better parts availability (relative to the other rare engines) and the cost of initial purchase. Which leads me to another thread.....

....and that other thread is.....? Getting back to the engine illustrated. As a lay person, I cannot fully appreciate the quality of components that has undoubtedly been lavished on this engine, but the horsepower quoted is more than impressive. Move over AMG etc. ! Mind you, why did they not use fuel injection ? Also, there could possibly be partial cylinder shut-off on idle and on light throttle. Am I expecting too much ? Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria quick history lesson this engine was never fitted into any Ford production car at any point in time it . This is a modern remake of this engine with the timming chain issues sorted. It was listed as having the longest timming chain of any engine ever produced. It wa s bases upon the Ford FE big block made famous by the AC Cobra 427SC and the GT40 mk11 with a LeMans win. As stated i have a reasonable amount of experience with this engine series having owned the next most potent version. The 428 Super Cobra Jet fitted with duel quad carburetors. This version was the better street motor as it had smaller bores and longer stroke than the 427 side oiler. Named becauce they had to move the oil galleries becauce of the size off its bores. But it had a factory red line of 7500 . Now to the Cammer it was offered through fomoco in 67 and 68 as a kit for the 427 side oiler. NHRA banned it after 2 seasons and Nascar after 1 becauce they considered it to not be in the spirit of the sport. The 428 super Cobra Jet was ratted at 425 hp and so was the 427 side oiler to keep the insurance companies happy. Both made a lot more power. The Cammer was rated at 600 with single 4 barrel carburetor. But to a Ford fan it is the Holy Grail real ones change hands at higher prices than this remake and for that money you would be buying a rebuilder non running engine. I know off 2 cammers in Australia both are used as displays in the owners garages. I will not say who owns them as they would not be happy about it being stated on a forum. Geoff

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks Motec, there's some very good Youtube videos featuring the Cammer.....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark your welcome key me know if you want me to find anything else. As I said having owned a 428 FE I do like them a lot . Only sold it in divorce settlement.Still get tempted every now and then .Geoff

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
It's just a Lima engine with half hemi heads not a fan of Lima engine had a 460 in a XB Fairmont. Had a lift in a 70 429 Boss Mustang even the owner said it was slow down low a bit like 4 V Cleveland's. Geoff