#5949 6.9 on ebay Sydney

More threads by motec 6.9

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
At least they have been honest with photographs of the upholstery.

Needs close exmination and a test drive, I would also really like to do a compression test and a detailed discussion with the owner regarding work that has been done on it.

Need to get those things done, to confirm the asking price.

I would not be hard to spend $15,000, to get it to be a reasonable car, which is about the status of mine.

Styria

The Godfather
Looks only just alright from a distance. Just remember, photos can be deceiving. The interior is just about cactus judging by driver's seat, steering wheel and carpet, and if you have a look at the engine bay, you'll see plenty of traces of the under bonnet padding that is obviously perished. Perish the thought of buying a car like this - $$$ - that's if you want a nice car. Regards Styria

N.B. Hi guys, please don't think that the sole purpose of my existence (so to speak) is to knock poor cars. Perhaps someone else might say "Goodie, goodie, this is what I want". If that is so, I don't have a problem with that. I just do muy sums from experience.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have to agree with the Godfather.

Although the car looks straight, the paint appears worn and as it has been mentioned the interior, steering wheel and under bonnet padding need attention.

I would estimate it to be worth $1500 if you really want to start a project.

Oversize

Grand Master
I have to agree with the Godfather.

Although the car looks straight, the paint appears worn and as it has been mentioned the interior, steering wheel and under bonnet padding need attention.

I would estimate it to be worth $1500 if you really want to start a project.

Awww come on guys!!!! You can't expect any car of this age to be very good! Unless it's been VERY carefully stored and well maintained. Or restored; but even they usually need further work. Plus they're more $$ and very hard to find. With the Aussie climate you'd be a VERY lucky person indeed to find a original W116 that doesn't need fresh paint and a interior re-furb. And in this car-restoration game $15K is bugger all!

But if you're looking to MAKE $$ on a new purchase I suggest you look elsewhere, or find a different hobby! :)

My main concern with this car (and any W116) is rust. And perhaps mould throughout the interior on this one, which will add to the $$ of repair....

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, I had a sneaking suspicion that I should have shut my trap, hence my remark concerning knocking everything that comes up for sale. I just don't know what is an ideal car to buy, especially one like a 6.9. It just depends on what you expect in the end the car to be like, and the amount of money you wish to spend on various items.

On a 116 car, any sort of deterioration has to be accounted for. Rust is a relatively easy item to attend to, but it depends of course on its location and what has to be moved to get to it. But you also need to account for the condition of the interior - this car has spent a lot of time, unprotected, in the sun. I have hardly ever seen a worse steering wheel, and by the time you start pulling things out, God only knows what you are likely to find that will need refurbishing. Leather upholstery does cost money even with the 20% discount that I extend from the GAHH retail price. Then it has to be fitted, seats may have to be repaired, door trims may need re-foaming, to purchase new carpet is not cheap and you then have to fit it at extra cost, and I have already written about the fitting of carpet at length. It is not a matter of putting in the four square, pre-made pieces. As I said, it doesn't take long for the dollars to accumulate.

Then you have the mechanicals. This car is no-goer, has a faulty valve, and God knows what else needs fixing. It's a dangerous car to get involved with.
I have often said that it surprises me no end how 116s, and 6.9s in particular, can deteriorate so badly. Take GB for instance - at one stage, I had no garaging facilities for ten years and the car was being used as a daily driver and, yes, I have replaced the steering wheel probably some twelve years ago, but it still looks almost like new today. It's a question of looking after things, so perhaps you will understand why I am being critical, but I also try to be subjective. Believe me, Mark, there is nothing I like better than to see an immaculate 116. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Mark, I had a sneaking suspicion that I should have shut my trap, hence my remark concerning knocking everything that comes up for sale. I just don't know what is an ideal car to buy, especially one like a 6.9. It just depends on what you expect in the end the car to be like, and the amount of money you wish to spend on various items.

Regards Styria

Hahahaha! No I'd rather members voice their opinions!

I don't agree re the rust issue as they can be VERY hard to fix on a W116, due to accessibility. But you suggested that already.

I certainly agree this one could be nasty and the interior seems rather poor. But it's yet again a case of inspect it thoroughly yourself, buyer beware and be prepared for a budget blowout. Even a simple inspection on a 6.9 can take ages, as there's so much to check!

I just think that many early MB owners seem unwilling to spend the sort of money they wouldn't think twice about on another collectable car. It seems completely backward being that the same era MB is a far superior product, but I'd suggest it may be due to a complete lack of knowledge by the general population, high costs of parts and subsequent poor resale value. :confused::eek::(:mad:

Styria

The Godfather
There seems to be a conspiracy outthere that older MBs one should not pay a lot of money for. It also applies to some of the other European makes, such as Audi, Saab, Volvo, Peugeot and Citroen (in particular). Even VW can fall into that category. High servicing costs. In the case of our Benzes, there are just so many models to choose from, and they seem to be grouped at round about the $2,000 to $12,000 mark. You have a bewildering array of models to select from. In any of those price ranges, you're even competing against cars like some Datsun models, and some Mazdas are fetching huge money. It's just not understandable.

You are quite right about one thing that really punishes our cars - the price of spare parts, and also lack of availability when it comes to certain 6.9 parts. If, for instance, you could buy levelling valves (new) for $250.00 each, struts for $400.00, air cells for $200.00 each, you wouldn't think twice, would you ? Take the under bonnet padding - close enough to $150.00 - wouldn't $40.00 be a more amenable, and realistic price ? These are just some examples. Have a look at some other items that this guy in the Argentine is selling for at cut rates - yet switches, and relays, modules, all big money. Mark, I think there is your answer. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Conspiracy or not, the fact is cars are worth what people are prepared to pay!

And it has been proven time and time again with all sorts of cars.

Rolls Royce Shadow and Spirit series in going order selling from $5,000 and the same for Mercedes Benz cars for much less.

Yet you will see old rusty HQs bringing several thousand dollars simply because people are prepared to pay for them!

The fact is one tends to spend a never ending stream of money on cars that will NOT hold any sort of value...

Hence we all dream sometimes!

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Aaroogaah aaroogaah post high jacking in progress go strait to jail do not pass go do not collect $200 .Now carry on . Geoff

Styria

The Godfather
Aaroogaah aaroogaah post high jacking in progress go strait to jail do not pass go do not collect $200 .Now carry on . Geoff

It happens to all of us at various times (the hi-jacking), but TK is geared in such a way that most hi-jacking is, and should be, tolerated. I sort of tend to think it's not big enough to make an issue of it - certainly not in public.

Let me make it quite clear that this post is NOT directed at anyone - it is just a general observation. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian it was ment to be taken as humour all good mate . No need to delete . Geoff