6.9 on OZ eBay

More threads by -bb-

Styria

The Godfather
Needs a a lot of love.

Bill
.....and 'a bit' of money as well - mind you, for spares, it'd be a bargain at the present price. It will sell for quite a bit more. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Cheap.... for now...

But it would probably go up into the 2Gs or maybe the low 3Gs....

But it's Brownnnnnnn :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Three and a half hours to go and it's on $2,550...

Maybe $3,000, and that would surprise me..

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It went up to $3,120 with 33 bids....

SELfor50

Anyone here get it??

Styria

The Godfather
That's one we can "remove from the books" - so to speak. It is the sort of car that's had a mention in Martin 280S' thread on his 124 and purchasing a 450 SLC. It will need a lot of money to get into nice condition. In this instance, you get less than what you pay for. IMO. Regards Styria

SELfor50

That's one we can "remove from the books" - so to speak. It is the sort of car that's had a mention in Martin 280S' thread on his 124 and purchasing a 450 SLC. It will need a lot of money to get into nice condition. In this instance, you get less than what you pay for. IMO. Regards Styria

Unless you were going to part it out, in which case - you'd probably make your money back and then some. But that takes time obviously..
And it's still probably a little too good to part.

Styria

The Godfather
I often see the remark that a 6.9 represents good "parting out" or wrecking value, especially if the condition of the car being sold is somewhat questionable or just downright lacking in quality, especially from a body or interior point of view.

Take this particular car for instance, or a car with good or very good mechanicals, but poor condition bodywise. As far as I can judge, purchasing such a car can be fraught with real danger. If the mechanicals are good, chances are that one is going to be stuck with them for a considerable amount of time. I have had a spare 6.9 engine for four years, and not once have I had an enquiry to purchase it. I have on hand two rebuilt gearboxs (6.9s) and, again, have had no enquiries. So, from a mechanical point of view, and translating that into dollars and cents, 6.9s, even cheap ones, can be a losing exercise.

If you're buying a 6.9 cheaply, with GOOD interior and exterior, you're on the right track. Then again, most 116s, if in good condition bodywise, can be utilized to be used as a parts car and, invariably, they're much cheaper to buy than a 6.9.

So, I maintain, paying just in excess of $3000.00 is way over what's feasibly economical - UNLESS you don't have a 6.9 ! Then, of course, we get back to the same old story - how much should one pay for a car, how much is one prepared to spend, and so on, and so on.....do you get where I'm coming from and what this is all about ? Just time to ponder and getting priorities right. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Owning a 6.9 is an expensive exercise where one MUST expect to lose at the end.

Whether you buy a 'good' car to start with (obviously at a high price) or whether you get a 'fixer-upper' (at a cheap price to start with the expectation to spend a little - which turns to a bottomless pit).

The final point is not to expect to get your money back.

I can talk out of experience.

I have spent a motza on my 690SEL.
A motza that I don't expect to realise when (and if) I sell the car.

Don't misunderstand me... I LUUUUURRVE my 690SEL, but then I am also a realist and everything I own has a price....

SELfor50

Hear what you're saying Styria. But i've already had 2 enquiries for the 2nd 6.9 motor I picked up a few months ago. Now that I have the new one I may just get rid of it.

As for the gearboxes, how much do you want for a re-built one?

I understand what you're saying, but I think at the end of the day - any car I've parted out..after I've taken what I need and swapped parts for certain things, I'll offer any part off the car (easily removable) for say $50. You'd be surprised, but people have even asked for tiny bits of trim and been prepared to pay $50 for each of them. Off a 6.9 if you pull all the ancillary items off and clean up and list seperately on e-bay etc etc.. you'd be surprised how much you can recover / get for each part.

But you are 100% correct, should never expect a return. Spot on too Michel.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi SELfor50, please understand that my post was not meant to be critical of anyone, nor was it directed at you specifically nor at anyone else for that matter. When restoring a car, especially 116s, it is important to start off with good mechanicals. Engines are quite foolproof, as are the gearboxes. With the later, of course, you're in the fortunate position that many components are shared with 450 AND even 280 boxes.

Of course, engine and gearbox are just two items in a web full of other mechanical parts. You have engine mounts (not easy to replace), propeller shaft couplings (not cheap) front and rear suspension bushes (again not cheap), ball joints, water pump and so on. Luckily enough, 116 components are long lasting - in fact, they almost last too well and it's only when you get down to the real 'nitty gritty" or start dismantling components, that some of the "unexpected" wear and tear becomes evident. Do you then let it go, or do you carry on ? The main problem, of course, is spare parts prices. Take engine mounts. About $280.00 min. for each one - you might get cheaper, so don't hold me to this price - and you do need two of them, don't you, plus about six hours work. So you can do your own sums. However, if those mounts were $40.00 each (and that's all they're worth, in my opinion), you would have a different playing field and things would be more affordable - and that goes right down the line, with whatever you touch that involves the Australian retail market.

In my view, the cost of interiors is relatively cheap in the overall restoration cost of a 6.9. I will be instituting a substantial discounted savings programme in the very near future on new leather and velour seat coverings, as well as carpets of all description in order to encourage an upward trend in turn-over of goods, but more of that in a few days. Anyway, I must not digress. The saving grace is that you do not need to deal with the parent company. It is a competitive market and there are some really good products about.

Restoration of paintwork can be very expensive, especially if there is rust to contend with, but it is something that one can save up for - or, at least, it may not need doing immediately. Invariably, as Michel says, it is difficult, if not almost impossible, to recoup your outlays on a restoration project. At least, with a 6.9 or indeed a 107, you're in with a chance. Then again, you're not restoring for profit, are you ? You're there for the long haul and the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of your labour in due course. Regards Styria

Last edited:

SELfor50

I'm hearing you. If you are resourceful though price can be reduced dramatically!

The other web of mechanical parts though aren't really that bad. And as I'm embarking on an engine swap I'm keen to do as much as absolutely possible while i'm there.

I've already received every bushing / subframe mount / ball joint / control arm bushing / centre bearing for tailshaft etc etc.. for the suspension / steering. The whole lot (and I probably don't need to do all of it anyway but I will) cost $430 AUD delivered from the US.

All new bilstein B4 heavy duty shocks - $500 AUD delivered from the US. (Cost here is about $900-1000 for all 4).

Engine mounts can be sourced cheaper than that, but I can't reveal my 'mates rates' resources. ;)

Tail shaft couplings can actually be bought cheaper (still genuine OEM or whatever the term is) as certain parts are interchangeable. You can ask MB Spares about this one. Some different models have different tailshaft coupling part numbers and one costs $300 one only costs a bit over $100 and they are exactly the same (just different cast / mould).

While I have the old 6.9 engine out and the engine bay vacant, I intend to remove everything and paint it in preparation for later maybe doing the rest of the car.

Also remembering that I don't have to worry about that dodgy air suspension on my six9. :cool:

Then drop everything back in, re-do all the lines and a new radiator (maybe a shiny one), and hopefully i'll have a 'new' 6.9 engine that will be running on synthetic premium oil and be almost bullet proof. Not too mention shiny and fast. :)

My budget for all of that is literally about 3k. I reckon i'll come in there somewhere, give or take a couple hundred bucks.

But as you said, at the end of it - it's about the driving pleasure to enjoy the fruits of labour.

Re Interior, i'll look at doing a full custom job down the track, but that will be one of the last things.. maybe black leather with a custom dash?
Can you recommend anyone?

Cam. :)

Des

Cam, are you putting the 6.9 into a W116 or a 107?

regardless

if you can take photos, and show what your doing, I for one, would find it interesting to look at and see what's what.

In another time, another place I thought something like this would be the way to go:

image22668.jpg

image22670.jpg

image20766.jpg

image20767.jpg

see this:

http://nast-sonderfahrzeuge.de/MB-Exotenforum/forum_entry.php?id=4072

Last edited: