6.9 on OZ eBay

More threads by -bb-

SELfor50

Hey Des,
First of all, love that SLC!! :cool: :cool:

The 'new' M100 will be dropping into my SE that already has the 6.9 in it. Being that the hard work is already done (dry sump reservoir sewn in, 6.9 tailshaft shortened to fit an SE, 3.07 LSD from a 450 etc) it will be a case of a straight swap. But I figured I may as well do as much as I can while i'm there.

Have no fear, there will be plenty photos. The engine arrived this week (I was away on training so haven't seen it yet) and most of the other parts are stock-piled. Over the coming weeks (most likely hook in properly over the Christmas break) the strip down will begin and once it's all prepped etc, I'll get the engine dropped in, then it's off to get a few engine 'tweaks' added.

I'm aiming to have a really neat and tidy engine bay, but I think i'll be pushing it to get it looking as tidy as the SLC above. But fingers crossed. :)

On the SLC conversion topic, I'm pretty sure it's not the same bloke, but there is a swedish dude who's dropped a 6.9 into an SLC but he's also got a turbo or SC on it. The guy's a machine, will try and dig up the pics.

Cam.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi addressing everybody that's got an interest and has posted on this topic - by the look of things, Stefan is quite a guy. I have read somewhere all the deals that went into the 450SLC, and I also suspect that Stefan is responsible for a TOTAL RESTORATION of the underside of his 6.9. I have reason to believe that Stefan (in the old Kraut Country) is a 'mate' of M100 afficionado RonB in Brisbane, and some absolutely crack pictures have been posted by RonB. on the M100 site - Stefan absolutely went 'nuts' with the 6.9 - one should see the pics of the underside - like brand new. Maybe someone can dig up some more info on the whole deal.

Regarding the 450SLC-love what the guy has done, he's got to get triple stars for the work that went into it. It was not only just a matter of dropping in the donk - hell no, a lot, lot more - there were no end of problems that had to be overcome.

Now, to all of whom this may concern. That 450SLC engine bay - I really would want to keep my nose out of it - I am afraid, that's all that would fit under that bonnet. But, but....has anyone spotted the fact that Stefan retained the hydraulic suspension system - just have a look at the suspension valve arrangement near the fire wall......Plus, I've got to say this - I would not like to carry out maintenance on this 450SLC.

Well Cam, you have my support and admiration for taking on the project. As Des asked, please keep us posted. (BTW, did you realize that you're getting close to the 1k. mark post wise ?). I would like to thank you for your support in advance.(Leaky 6.9 rear strut on the way to you once you achieve the magic figure). :D

Cam, is there any chance of you posting some pics of your 6.9 - you know, the interior in particular etc. I am going to offer a special discount deal on 107 and 116 upholstery and carpets in order to take advantage of the dollar parity, and a generous discount off the recommended (genuine-no bull) retail price to encourage business turn-over, particularly over the next three months or so - to the end of February, 2010. This will apply to all seat covers, carpets, Convertible tops etc. for most models of the '60s, 70s and 80s.

Well, I'd be interested about the 'cheap genuine' engine mounts - remember, 450s are the same dimension wise, but are not the "real" McCoy. There are a few smartie pants outthere. Same applies to the rubber couplings. With the engine mounts for the 6.9, look for the "S6" specification. Anyway, good luck, you have my full support. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Lukas

That SLC is really something innit?

Anyway, the original Brown 6.9 has been relisted - seems the first purchaser had insufficient beans.

EBay

SELfor50

Hi SELfor50, please understand that my post was not meant to be critical of anyone, nor was it directed at you specifically nor at anyone else for that matter. When restoring a car, especially 116s, it is important to start off with good mechanicals. Engines are quite foolproof, as are the gearboxes. With the later, of course, you're in the fortunate position that many components are shared with 450 AND even 280 boxes.

Of course, engine and gearbox are just two items in a web full of other mechanical parts. You have engine mounts (not easy to replace), propeller shaft couplings (not cheap) front and rear suspension bushes (again not cheap), ball joints, water pump and so on. Luckily enough, 116 components are long lasting - in fact, they almost last too well and it's only when you get down to the real 'nitty gritty" or start dismantling components, that some of the "unexpected" wear and tear becomes evident. Do you then let it go, or do you carry on ? The main problem, of course, is spare parts prices. Take engine mounts. About $280.00 min. for each one - you might get cheaper, so don't hold me to this price - and you do need two of them, don't you, plus about six hours work. So you can do your own sums. However, if those mounts were $40.00 each (and that's all they're worth, in my opinion), you would have a different playing field and things would be more affordable - and that goes right down the line, with whatever you touch that involves the Australian retail market.

In my view, the cost of interiors is relatively cheap in the overall restoration cost of a 6.9. I will be instituting a substantial discounted savings programme in the very near future on new leather and velour seat coverings, as well as carpets of all description in order to encourage an upward trend in turn-over of goods, but more of that in a few days. Anyway, I must not digress. The saving grace is that you do not need to deal with the parent company. It is a competitive market and there are some really good products about.

Restoration of paintwork can be very expensive, especially if there is rust to contend with, but it is something that one can save up for - or, at least, it may not need doing immediately. Invariably, as Michel says, it is difficult, if not almost impossible, to recoup your outlays on a restoration project. At least, with a 6.9 or indeed a 107, you're in with a chance. Then again, you're not restoring for profit, are you ? You're there for the long haul and the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of your labour in due course. Regards Styria

Hey mate, got a price on those engine mounts. They are genuine, and they're about $180 each. :)