New 6.9 on Ebay

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If my memory serves me correctly, I think I saw this car about 6 years ago, around the Campsie area, being refuelled.

IF it is, (and I could easily be wrong), this car has not been driven very far in recent years. I say that because (IF it is), I spoke briefly to the then owner, while he refuelled his car.

I was in the same servo, refuelling my car.

Tony66_au

Errr so what's with the interior colour?

First impression is its been painted with a holts can.....

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I originally thought the pic of the rear seats was overexposed. Now I'm not so sure..... :eek:

Tony66_au

I have a small sideline scrutinising US eBay listings for a mate who "Brings stuff over" and its amazing what even a bad set of pics will tell you about the car and owner.

Their trading or eBay name is a good start usually........

But yeah, those seats are erm not over exposed and I fear the worst.........

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Apparrently this is the same car the oldtimer centre had for sale a few years ago with 152000km on it for $18000 it was then sold a couple of years ago on ebay with 230000km on it so it would appear to have suffered from clock tampering i believe a please explain has been sent to the seller so it will probably be pulled of ebay:mad:

Styria

The Godfather
Apparrently this is the same car the oldtimer centre had for sale a few years ago with 152000km on it for $18000 it was then sold a couple of years ago on ebay with 230000km on it so it would appear to have suffered from clock tampering i believe a please explain has been sent to the seller so it will probably be pulled of ebay:mad:

Hi motec 6.9, how do you know, or can you be sure if this is the one and very same car as outlined by you ? I remember selling a 6.9 with the same colour combination to an Italian guy, who in turn onsold it to a fellow called Alex who lived in the Newcastle area - well, at least I think he did. Alex, and no disrespect, was a big and fat Greek guy in his late fifties and he was looking to offload the car at that time. Say what, at least twelve years ago ? I remember that car with a great deal of fondness - I bought it cheap, onsold it for a good price, swapped the blue upholstery (still in Gleaming Beauty) and scored the four rubber buffers that are still adorning the boot of GB. I wonder if it is the same car ? The worn upholstery looks remarkably like it. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria chasis number is known to a mutual friend on another forum and details are in data base and i am aware of please explain sent to ebay:eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Styria chasis number is known to a mutual friend on another forum and details are in data base and i am aware of please explain sent to ebay:eek:

Geoff, how very interesting - just proves how small this world can be...Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
How sad that it seems to have fallen into the wrong hands. I only hope that the next owner treats it better.....

My Euro 6.9 doesn't have the original speedo, so I have no idea of the actual km. At least my interior and paint looks better, which would suggest the years (and previous owners) have treated it a little kinder.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
When I purchased my 690SEL it had a standard 450 speedo with 200,000 plus kilometres.
Obviously it wasn't the original speedo, and the PO had no idea as he never replaced the speedo in the years he owned it.

I could not find any earlier owners.

But I wanted a 6.9 speedo, and the only one available at the time had 160,000kms or something like that.

So I replaced it and kept it at what ever it was.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
This raises many issues. Without offending anyone here, I can't help but think that the only reason to change a whole speedo is to sell a vehicle for more than it's worth. Unless the replacement is permanently recorded and made known to all the subsequent owners prior to purchase. But when does that ever happen? And strangely these vehicles don't come with books....

What leaves me scratching my head further is the fact that both mine and Michels had been replaced with standard 450 speedos, which would detract from their value and work against the sellers likely desire to achieve a favourable price. That's provided that the purchaser picks up on the very subtle difference between 450 and 6.9 facias, or the fact that the speedo is no longer accurate...

I intend to change the facia on my existing dials and re-calibrate the speedo so it's accurate. Although they'd be an opportunity to change the odometer to whatever I'd like, I'd rather sleep soundly at night! I'd have far more respect for a vehicle that's neat and tidy with genuine kms on the dial. We all know that a well serviced MB will go on and on and on....

I notice that the ad's now been removed from E-bay. This thread is a lesson and warning to all those that contemplate trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the MB community; the world is much smaller now and we're all watching....

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Mark,

The condition of my 6.9 when purchased was less than desirable.
I feel I have poured money into it to make it a far more desirable vehicle than what it was.
In my view, when someone will come to buy my 690SEL, he or she will not be too worried about the speedo as they would have seen all the documented work carried out (new front and rear end -incl discs, etc- total rust removal, new dash, new sunroof, new paint, newer interior with no tears, etc, etc..)

But when someone buys a car , plays with the speedo and tries a quick resell, then you are playing with fire.

On another note, there was a time when these cars were used daily and were no longer new enough to have money spent on.
I can imagine the speedo stopping and the owner checking with his local wrecker only to find no such thing as a 260km/h speedo, but a 240km/h one that will fit and, according to the mechanic and wrecker, will do the job. :rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
How sad that it seems to have fallen into the wrong hands. I only hope that the next owner treats it better.....

My Euro 6.9 doesn't have the original speedo, so I have no idea of the actual km. At least my interior and paint looks better, which would suggest the years (and previous owners) have treated it a little kinder.

Mark, do you need a 6.9 speedo ? Can't give it to you, but the asking price would only be about $65.00 plus post. BTW, lots of 6.9s appear to have fallen into the wrong hands. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Mark,

The condition of my 6.9 when purchased was less than desirable.
I feel I have poured money into it to make it a far more desirable vehicle than what it was.
In my view, when someone will come to buy my 690SEL, he or she will not be too worried about the speedo as they would have seen all the documented work carried out (new front and rear end -incl discs, etc- total rust removal, new dash, new sunroof, new paint, newer interior with no tears, etc, etc..)

But when someone buys a car , plays with the speedo and tries a quick resell, then you are playing with fire.

On another note, there was a time when these cars were used daily and were no longer new enough to have money spent on.
I can imagine the speedo stopping and the owner checking with his local wrecker only to find no such thing as a 260km/h speedo, but a 240km/h one that will fit and, according to the mechanic and wrecker, will do the job. :rolleyes:

....which, of course, it doesn't. Well, it fits, but that's the end of story. There is an error rate of 20%, but of course you have a 260 km/h speedo. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Styria, do you know if the difference was just the facia, or the something else inside as well? Yes I'm intersted.....

Michel well done on being a true custodian of a vehicle well worth saving from a horrible fate, at the hands of someone far less deserving. I'd love to see some before / after pictures! You must be very proud of your achievements thus far and I can't wait to see 690SEL in all it's metal glory, sometime in the future.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel well done on being a true custodian of a vehicle well worth saving from a horrible fate, at the hands of someone far less deserving. I'd love to see some before / after pictures! You must be very proud of your achievements thus far and I can't wait to see 690SEL in all it's metal glory, sometime in the future.

Thanks Mark,

I will, as soon as I can gather them, put a series of pics of the resurrection of # 3312 otherwise known as the 690SEL