[FS - TAS] Beetle for sale 65 EURO private import

More threads by Des

Des

Hello

I would like to offer my 1965 1200 Private Import, Made in Germany Beetle for sale

Full Tasmanian rego till May 2010

price $6200

I purschased this car back in January 2009

with mileage on the car showing 16853 miles, 116853 miles

as of today car is showing 17242 miles, 117242 miles

I paid $5800 for the car, I am now asking $6200 for her.

Since I purschased the Beetle back in January I have had the following things done to her,

new fanbelt, and spare fanbelt purschased - $50
in February oil change and service, $165
in March new clutch forks, plates and clutch cable, new fuel line also fitted at this time, cost $660

Last Month car has had a major service, new distributor, oils changed, x4 brake hoses replaced (car still had the original 1965 vintage hoses fitted)
distributor had to be changed because the points for the original unit were no longer available I was told from my mechanic.
x4 new tie rod ends and the steering rebuilt completely at the same time as the major service, new rotor, new cap, new plugs etc... etc.. done, x7 new hubcap clips were fitted also.

this was done at a total cost of $980

I have spent nearly $2,000 in mechanical repairs at the local Volkswagen Beetle mechanic here.

As you can see car has had a bit of money spent on her in the last few months.

Really drives very well now, starts very easily.

I had a look at the floor pan when the car was at the mechanic, the pan is very good, dent and rust free, my mechanic commented on how well the car is with most pans being rusted out,

There is still wax coating under the car

Car is all original, 6 volt electrics still, with the original picnic radio fitted to the dash

Really the only things the car needs is a good clean and maybe if you are fussy a new seat trim kit fitted,

car has original seat belts etc...

runs and drives very well, cruises along the highway at 100kph easily.

I always get a lot of attention when I drive her, people always commenting on how nice and original it is.

This is an original unmessed with car, nothing mucked with, just like it left the factory.

Some pictures now:

P1010026.png

P1010034.png

P1010038.png

Lights work well on 6 volts

P1010133.png

P1010135.png

Original antenna with the lock down key and brochure

P1010147.png

I picked up a full set of books for the car on ebay

P1010161.png

Mileage as of today:

P1010220.png

Original radio

P1010221.png

Trim just needs a good clean

P1010222.png

Original rubber mats

P1010223.png

P1010224.png

Ignition key is different for this German made Beetle

P1010225.png

Pedals

P1010227.png

P1010228.png

P1010229.png

P1010230.png

P1010231.png

P1010232.png

P1010234.png

Rego'ed till May Next year

P1010235.png

P1010236.png

Note the tan running boards, different to the Australian cars

P1010241.png

Original engine runs and starts well, no smoke, does not use any oil

P1010243.png

P1010244.png

Lining is very good condition

P1010246.png

P1010247.png

P1010248.png

P1010249.png

Made in Germany!

P1040001.png

A good rust free car

P1040002.png

Kind Regards
Des

Last edited:

John S

Big rear window, fuel gauge and a radio - that was really driving in luxury for a VW! You have a very nice looking car.

OP
Des

Des

Big rear window, fuel gauge and a radio - that was really driving in luxury for a VW! You have a very nice looking car.

thanks

the big rear window was not offered on Australian built cars till 1968,
this one has the looks of a later car with earlier features,
this colour, pearl white with tan running boards was never offered in Australia,

lots of little things are different on this car, cloth interior was not offered in Australia, the ignition key, wipers, headlights, speedometer, all different to an Australian made car in 1965.

I have only ever seen one other imported Beetle like this in Australia,

abl567

Super Moderator
65 Euros seems a very fair price but do you realise that is only $AUD 111.79.
I'll take it as is for that price - no need to valet the Bug. ;)
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Cheeky bugger;)

OP
Des

Des

65 Euros seems a very fair price but do you realise that is only $AUD 111.79.
I'll take it as is for that price - no need to valet the Bug. ;)
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Well just don't be expecting a full tank of petrol with that.

;)

oscar

Am I the only one to see "Fahrt Start" around the ignition key and have a little chuckle:D I bet the Aussie ones don't have that. Sorry Des, had to mention it. ;)

I'm curious though, was the car imported new or later? It would seem a rarity, now that I know that so many were built here. Also, knowing the decent bug following and how good ones hold their values this one would have to be a bit of a collectible surely.

OP
Des

Des

Hi Oscar

The story I got with the car was that a local Victor brought the car home from Germany in 1965, car was built August 1964,

You can imagine someone importing an expensive car like a Mercedes, Rolls Royce, but it must have cost a fair bit back then to import a lowly Beetle,

One interesting thing on mine is the mechanical fuel gauge, its not electric, so even when the car is switched off and the key out, it always shows the level in the tank.

I have only seen one other Beetle in this colour and same running boards, it was a German diplomats car, obviously they brought it out here, as a cheaper option to buying a new one here.

can't image there would be more than 5-10 of these in Australia

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Des - is the gauge mechanical or simply hot wired so it reads all the time? Just curious.
Now Des, in all honesty, having a car collection is supposed to mean that you actually keep some of them rather than run through them like you are raiding the sock drawer. ;) I believed you thought this one to be a keeper so what has happened that you have changed your mind?
I humbly suggest that you spend a little time getting your hands dirty on the Bug. Clean it, fettle it, love it a little and you might find that you enjoy it even more than you originally did. One does need to become intimate with a car in order to enjoy the very best relationship. It is only after you have left some skin behind on sharp edges; only after you have bled a little and burned yourself on the exhaust manifold; only after you have dropped a starter motor on your foot; etc; etc; that you will come to love and cherish your Bug. Try it Des. You may enjoy it.
In the current market you may not realise the price you want so perhaps stroke its little fenders some more and the Bug will repay your attentions a thousandfold.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy. I suspect that Des already has something else lined up, but perhaps we are not yet to know what it is. The way I see it, Des may have some difficulty unloading the 'Bug' even allowing for its relatively rare features - obviously at this asking price. You'd have to be a "dyed in the wool' purveyor of the cars.

Des, good luck with the sale - I am also sorry to hear of your Dad's problems. Regards Styria

OP
Des

Des

I believed you thought this one to be a keeper so what has happened that you have changed your mind?

Regards,
Benz-Boy

Well in all honestly there is nothing wrong with it, you know me, I have the attention span of a 5 year old. Throw myself 110% into something, then loose interest a few days later.

But I have decided to keep the price as is, if it sell yes, if not, well I'll keep it I guess.

As for working on my own cars, well no, I just don't have the patience for that, maybe I need to work on some life skills there?

I just resort to hammers and crowbars within 10 minutes trying to fix things, but hey I did actually fix the bumper on my VW Golf with a crowbar, so not all a complete disaster.

Des, good luck with the sale - I am also sorry to hear of your Dad's problems. Regards Styria

Ah that should have been cut out, that was a copy and paste job from another forum, where the members are less........what's the word? uncivilized?

Last edited:
OP
Des

Des

Des - is the gauge mechanical or simply hot wired so it reads all the time? Just curious.

Regards,
Benz-Boy

Yes its mechanical, Australian Beetle's of the period use an electronic fuel gauge, one would think the mechanical gauge, being a simpler system would be less prone to failure or incorrect readings.

The mother of all gauges would have to be that oil level "thing" on your PII
No need for the hired help to get their gloves dirty to check the oil,

Kind Regards
Des

WGB

Best of luck with the sale Des.

A lot of lower budget cars were purchased by expats working overseas at a time when cars were very expensive and often hard to acquire to to scarcity.

I am not sure what the rules were for Australia but many NZ expats in the 60's and 70's bought home VW's, Vauxhalls and Fords after working in Asia or Europe. My father brought home a Ford Zodiac after we lived in Singapore in the early 1960's.

The rule was that you had to have lived overseas for 3 years (which was a common expat contract term) and have owned the car for 12 months before returning home. This fits with the time frame of your car's manufacture and importation quite well.

My father was offered a contract with an Asian Bank in the 1960's (Offer arrived on a 12 page Telegram in 1967 - which was considered quite amazing in itself at the cost of telegrams) and part of the offer was that he could purchase any car from any manufacturer anywhere in the world and only pay the untaxed price at the Factory gate - the Bank would meet all transport costs and taxes.

At the time in New Zealand 55% of the new car price was Tax so there were large savings to be made.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Those deals were quite commonly exercised by purchasers of the more expensive types of luxury cars - even in the late seventies, those concessions were still available and, whatsmore, freely used.

Telegrams - ah, the mystic of it all - I went to the P.O. the other day to send one to a friend, but last I know the staff were checking with Australia Post as to whether this facility was still available !

Seriously though, does anyone recall the last time a telegram could be sent ? What about wireless 'money transfers' ? Still available ? Regards Styria