USA to Euro headlight swap?

More threads by 300SDude

300SDude

I REALLY like the European headlights as opposed to the 4- headlight USA system.

I would REALLY like to get these headlights;

Set of 2 Mercedes Original W116 450sel Euro Headlights Bosch

How hard is it to swap these over, and is there any major modifications to do that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
300SDude

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have only seen one W116 with American headlights in Australia, that was in Freemantle (near Perth, W.A.)

I was able to speak to the owner. That was back in 2007.
He was in the U.S. and come across a 450 SEL that was on a truck, and on it's way to the crusher. He rescued the car off the back of the truck and did not pay a thing for it.
I had a good look at in Freemantle. The paint was in nice condition, it had no obvious rust (!), and the upholstery had no obvious defects. Thar car had 140,000 on the odometer. The owner said it had spend all if it's life in the drier parts of the South Western United States, and from what he could determine, had spent all of it's life in a garage, when not in use.

Colour? Milan brown, with brown upholstery.
It still had it's quad U.S.headlights and was left hand drive.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Dude, we don't have too many Yankee guys on TK - well, not too many that post on the site anyway. I have not been involved in swapping lights as it isn't necessary, so I can't help you. I believe swapping bars is not as straight forward as it should be, and lights may be no different. Those lights on ebay, BTW, don't seem to shine all that brilliantly appearance wise. Having said that, photos can be deceptive. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I have only seen one W116 with American headlights in Australia, that was in Freemantle (near Perth, W.A.)

I was able to speak to the owner. That was back in 2007.
He was in the U.S. and come across a 450 SEL that was on a truck, and on it's way to the crusher. He rescued the car off the back of the truck and did not pay a thing for it.
I had a good look at in Freemantle. The paint was in nice condition, it had no obvious rust (!), and the upholstery had no obvious defects. Thar car had 140,000 on the odometer. The owner said it had spend all if it's life in the drier parts of the South Western United States, and from what he could determine, had spent all of it's life in a garage, when not in use.

Colour? Milan brown, with brown upholstery.
It still had it's quad U.S.headlights and was left hand drive.

Finally a good news story!!! I think we may see more LHD cars now, as a conversion isn't necessary in Victoria on a car over 25 years old. And the exchange rate is working in our favour. I wouldn't want one though as it'd make overtaking just plain dangerous...

I'm not sure about the headlights, but I'd say Euro ones would be just a bolt on replacement.

No idea about the bumpers and you'd definitely need a strong mate to help; they're huge!!!

OP
300SDude

300SDude

Finally a good news story!!! I think we may see more LHD cars now, as a conversion isn't necessary in Victoria on a car over 25 years old. And the exchange rate is working in our favour. I wouldn't want one though as it'd make overtaking just plain dangerous...

I'm not sure about the headlights, but I'd say Euro ones would be just a bolt on replacement.

No idea about the bumpers and you'd definitely need a strong mate to help; they're huge!!!

I read in the other forum a while back that the euro-spec bumpers do NOT just swap over quite so easy.

As for the lights, maybe I will contact the guy on the other site that did swap them out. (Although I don't usually go to that site any more, lol). But he swapped a lot of things on his w116. Manual windows, manual sunroof, euro climate control, added heated seats to the back. He's done a lot of extensive work to change everything.

300SDude

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
So far as overtaking is concerned, I don't remember much drama,
When I drove about 6,000 kilometers on European roads in a British right hand drive car.
I must admit, I plainly labelled my car front and back, as being right hand drive.

I even made up a green and yellow map of Australia (with Tasmania), and stuck that on the inside rear screen.

(Left out Kangaroo Island, Bathurst Isalnd, Melville island, Rottnest Island, Gabo Island, Montague Island, Thursday Island, Whitsunday Islands, Stradbroke Island..................)

Oh yes! I even left out Wedding Cake Island!

Tony66_au

the lights swap over just fine, Bumpers take some work.

Just be aware that right hand drive lights throw light to the left so in a LHD country your lenses will not be legal as they dazzle oncoming traffic.

OP
300SDude

300SDude

the lights swap over just fine, Bumpers take some work.

Just be aware that right hand drive lights throw light to the left so in a LHD country your lenses will not be legal as they dazzle oncoming traffic.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

We don't really drive the car at night that often, and we live in the mountains on a 2 lane road, so I wouldn't really worry too much about it here where I live.

I just LOVE the look of the European lights. It makes all the front look more flush and smooth looking instead of these four frog eyes looking at you.

300Sdude

WiSeGuYY

OPPOSITE of you DONNIE , i love the spider lights , for the w108 i got one pare europian and another US , i decided to put the spider lights no question about it, i keep the europian for my next project which might be a heckfosse w110 if i find one ( cheap of course to play with) , then TONY is 100% right the bumpers is different ball game , matter of fact very different structure that the bumpers mount on , had to change that for my w116 project BLU since i bought it with america look ( was fake) but had to change the structure front and rear.

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
300SDude

300SDude

I have no intention of trying to change the bumpers. i have read other places that they are difficult.

300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
Dude, can you legally change the bumpers anyway? It's quite obvious the US had strict pedestrian standards when the W116 was introduced. I'd be surprised if they'd allow you to no longer comply with those requirements.

Regarding the lights, I'd have thought you'd use your lights often in the fog and snow? But then again, if you've laid up your car for the winter, maybe you you don't need them much...

A car imported here from the US may not need to be converted to RHD, but as Tony mentioned the headlights would be an issue. An owner may not have a choice but to convert to the Euro ones. But I have seen some imports with the quad headlights at various car shows and next time I see one, I'll have to quiz the owner....

Tony66_au

Im sure you could source a Euro set from a left hand drive Euro nation that has them, just avoid France as their auto lighting rules are archaic and weird.

A mate had a 300D with twin frogeye lights and we recently swapped them for units from a petrol W123 and the difference at night is HUGE!

Especially handy when dodging Wombats, Wallabies and roo's at night on windy country roads.

Tony

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I feel sure that it would be easier to source Euro headlights out of Australia from cars that have been parted out.

A lot of the imports into the U.S from Germany would have already been converted to Euro lights, thus leaving the stock of Euro lights in the U.S. at a much lower level.

For other parts, the opposite can be true.