cruise control switch Euro 107 280 SL

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
I have a new Mercedes switch from the UK to fit to my aftermarket cruise unit. I can wire it in no problem. But the switch appears to be for a left side column fitting . all the pictures i've seen of 107 SLs. show the switches on the left side.
Where the Cruise switches fitted to the left or the right side of the RHD 380s sold here ?
I removed the steering wheel to get the boot off the multi function switch to see if the switch will fit phisically to no avail ,as the boot is still trapped by the dash facia. I gave up and put the wheel back on ! ...? ? ?...Sean:confused:

Helmet

Connoisseur
I have a new Mercedes switch from the UK to fit to my aftermarket cruise unit. I can wire it in no problem. But the switch appears to be for a left side column fitting . all the pictures i've seen of 107 SLs. show the switches on the left side.
Where the Cruise switches fitted to the left or the right side of the RHD 380s sold here ?
I removed the steering wheel to get the boot off the multi function switch to see if the switch will fit phisically to no avail ,as the boot is still trapped by the dash facia. I gave up and put the wheel back on ! ...? ? ?...Sean:confused:

Hi Sean,

The cruise control switch is mounted on the indicator switch. It slides into at recess in the top of the switch.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thanks Helmet , I'll have another look. I guess that the switch is held by the two screws that hold the multti function switch ? ? If it fits I guess that it doesn't matter if the lettering is not visable. But m:confused:aybe the stock can be turned round ? ? ....Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Sean and Helmet, I would like to get this right - as far as I am aware, both the indicator stalk and the cruise control lever are situated as one unit on the right hand side of the steering column on Gleaming Beauty (6.9), and I would have thought that the arrangement on Sean's Ch.107 280SL would be the same. As indicated to you, Sean, I do, or should have, a spare unit on hand - certainly to fit the 116s - you may remember we discussed this at the get-together and I indicated that I would check to see what units I have in stock. Will get back to you later today. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Hi Styria, the new switch I bought in the UK seems to be left handed. My multi function switch is on the right. Maybe it will be ok except that the writing will on the rear side and not the front where it can be read. I don't understand this as pictures I have seen show left side mounting for both L & R hand drive. It surely would be more cost effective for Mercedes to standardise. :confused: Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Sean, it's a bit of a puzzle, isn't it ? I'll have to try and find or look up some pictures to try and verify the situation. BTW, my apologies for not checking on availability of the stalk unit - got stuck for the full day checking functions of the hydropneumatic suspension system on a 6.9 - started at eight in the morning and finished 6.30 pm without any real success. It can be a vexed system, especially if there is more than one problem that has to be dealth with. I'll try and get onto this for you as quickly as possible. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
:cool:Hi Styria, The switches are definatly handed. I've got it fitted but it points down instead of up. should work ok when I wire it in. The hardest part was dealing with the rubber boot, it is jamed up under the steering column. I sliced it and gluded it back togather. Maybe I can heat and bend the stock up a bit, I'm sure it's made of soft iron. .....Sean

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
All now working ok inspite of the switch being handed. Sits low below the multi function switch but it's easy enough to use. This after market system is not the same as an origonal system as there is only an on /off function , not a speed cancel function. Speed cancel is via the brake light switch only. I retained the after market switch in line as a back up to the brake switch ,in case it malfunctions and does not cancel. These new Mercedes switches are available on line in the UK for 40 Pounds Two are listed and I guess one is right handed. The site does not say. ........Sean