Dead Window Switch

More threads by 300SDude

300SDude

Well, last night my drivers door window button finally gave-up the ghost. It had been sticking in the "up" position lately, and if you weren't paying attention, it would just get stuck. I am hoping that it is just the switch and it didn't burn-up the motor.

How hard is it to get into that console to check the switch?

(Besides, while I am in there, I need to flip the back passenger side one over since it opens and closes backwards).

thanks,
300SDude

Styria

The Godfather
Well Dude, you may have several issues. The switch on the console that controls your driver's window is probably beyond saving. I know of a couple of instances where owners were actually able to remove the plastic chrome section and clean up the contacts, but attempts on my part to effect that repair have been thwarted by the chrome section not suitable to be refitted. At one stage, those switches sold for about $A200.00 plus in Oz country, but I think they are priced a bit better now.

You will not burn out the motor - they are extremely robust and long lasting, and I do think there is an overriding safety factor built in which, to my mind, is probably protected by a fuse. Regarding the window operating "BACKWARDS", I have my doubt that you can mix up the switch. In my opinion, it seems more likely that the regulator has been replaced, and the gearing is 180 degrees out. I have the same problem with one of my rear windows, but I haven't investigated matters properly. Regarding the removal/prising upwards of the switch on the console, I would advise that you do not prise it up with a screw driver. It would be better to remove the ashtray, as well as remove the two screws that secure the console at the front (screws partially hidden), and then lift the back upwards so that you can "PUSH" the switch upwards with your fingers. That way, you will not break the chromed part of the switch. Regards Styria

OP
300SDude

300SDude

Well Dude, you may have several issues. The switch on the console that controls your driver's window is probably beyond saving. I know of a couple of instances where owners were actually able to remove the plastic chrome section and clean up the contacts, but attempts on my part to effect that repair have been thwarted by the chrome section not suitable to be refitted. At one stage, those switches sold for about $A200.00 plus in Oz country, but I think they are priced a bit better now.

You will not burn out the motor - they are extremely robust and long lasting, and I do think there is an overriding safety factor built in which, to my mind, is probably protected by a fuse. Regarding the window operating "BACKWARDS", I have my doubt that you can mix up the switch. In my opinion, it seems more likely that the regulator has been replaced, and the gearing is 180 degrees out. I have the same problem with one of my rear windows, but I haven't investigated matters properly. Regarding the removal/prising upwards of the switch on the console, I would advise that you do not prise it up with a screw driver. It would be better to remove the ashtray, as well as remove the two screws that secure the console at the front (screws partially hidden), and then lift the back upwards so that you can "PUSH" the switch upwards with your fingers. That way, you will not break the chromed part of the switch. Regards Styria

OMG! Thank you so much for your insight!

This is the first Mercedes I have owned, and since having it and fixed a couple things.....this car is not put together like any American car I have dis-assembled!

My ashtray is already gone due to the fact that there is a plate mounted there that now houses my WVO switch and fuel gauge for that tank. (It's easy to pop-out).

So, there are only screws in the front of the wood trim for the center console? There is nothing securing it in the back (rear) of the console?

See.....I just thought that someone had put the switch in upside down (which is what Americans would do, lol). Thank you for explaining all the other stuff about it! I think I will just leave it alone, lol. It works, and I am really the only one that operates it, lol.

I am wondering if I can swap one of the switches in the back door for my drivers one? (No one ever sits back there, really).

I would be almost half tempted to do the manual window crank change-over and get the pretty console that has no holes in it except for the hazard button. :) I have pretty-much always hated power windows in any car for they are usually one of the first things to go out, besides the clock, lol.

Thanks again for your knowledge, it is worth its weight in gold!

300SDude

Styria

The Godfather
Well Dude, thanks for the compliment. Interiors of these cars are my specialty, so to speak. Regarding the change to cranked windows (manual operation), I would suggest that you forget it as you may well have to change the internal workings of the doors. In addition, and certainly in this country, you are unlikely to find a console without the holes in it.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by switching the rear switch to the front. Regards Styria

OP
300SDude

300SDude

Quote from Squiggle Dog on w116 forum:

"As for the manual window conversion, it's simple. Just remove the power window regulators and motors, then install the manual regulators in their places. You'll have to cut holes in the front door panels for the crank handle shafts to stick through, though. The rear door panels already have the holes there, where the power window switch used to be. You can also remove the wiring harness if you want. It disconnects under the center console if I remember correctly. Finding the manual regulators is the hard part."

Which he has replaced his windows with manuals. (I love the way he has the 2-tone door panels as well).

1980300sd52.jpg
1980300sd59.jpg

Here is a picture of the center console he got for his as well. (I love the gearshift knob too).

1980300sd34.jpg

The manual sunroof he installed from a W123. (With some modification).

1980300sd157.jpg

In the meantime, lol...........I had to move the Mercedes today to park a travel trailer in that garage and the window works again. :)

What I meant about switching the back with the front is the actual switch itself mounted in the back door. I am assuming that you can't just pop-out the actual black button and mount it in where the driver console switch would be. (And put the "sticky" switch back in the door in the rear).

300SDude