WTB window regulator

More threads by BenzBoy

Styria

The Godfather
Okay BenzBoy, just to confirm that I can help you. Right Rear, correct ? Regards Styria

Nudge

I have found that when the window regulators have to work hard, the alloy frame bends to such an amount that the two large cogs dont line up any more or jam up compleatly.
Firstly if the window is moving slowly but still working, lubing up the slides may prevent overloading of regulator causing the bending. I use a molibdium spray on the metal slides and armour-all on the glass. My service manual says not to put anything on the felt glass runners. but I find it helps on old slightly worn felt runners.
If its too late and the frame has already bent, try to straighten it. If you are going to replace it anyway you have nothing to loose. At worse you still have to get another one, if you can get it working you have saved yourself cash and waiting time.
How to. I have found a few blocks of wood and a hammer work good. Remembering not to crush the frame onto the cogs but untwist the unit so it moves freely.
The first time I tryed I found it quite difficult, but like all things it gets easyer the more you do it.
Alloy has the unusual quality of work hardening. IE, it gets harder the more it bends. this it good in one way because when you bend it back it is stronger than it was to start with. It will eventualy snap, but small corections seem to work fine.
Note; If you want to un-harden alloy(other things made of alloy). rub some soap on it, then heat it untill the soap goes black. This gives aprox the right temp without melting it. You can now bend it back.

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Nudge and welcome! Now that all sounds interesting. I've used silicon spray with the tube fitted to focus the stream on the side runners. It doesn't leave an oily residue that'll make it stick even worse in the future

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Nudge, it's been a long time between drinks, but that doesn't mean that your learned and knowledgeable post is not appreciated. In fact, it would appear that you are pretty well hands-on, and it is always handy to get more than one opinion.

The Regulators on 116s have to work hard - the motors are fine, but the sheer angle of the actuating arms, especially on the front, place great stress on the alloy base plates. They can be straightened to some degree, but one needs to be super careful not to damage them further, or in fact break or crack them. Quite frankly, I have seen better designs, but then again we shouldn't forget that some units are likely to be as old as the car itself. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Apparently these guys used to supply window regs for W116s. I spoke to them at AAAE and they said the cable regs are weaker than the original scissor type which can be improved with re-manufacture. They were very familiar with them along with the W126 ones which are slightly different. We just need 200 orders...

http://powerwindowsandmore.com.au/

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It's a pity those guys are only in Victoria :(