WTB (or otherwise legally obtain): W112 / W109 air suspension valves

More threads by OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
Not W116, but I crave Admin's indulgence ...

Magic carpet ride time! Sort of.

For my own air-suspended Benz (W112 300SE coupe) and a friend's two (W112 300SE sedan - early version - and W109 300SEL 6.3) I have decided it would be a good idea to start collecting unwanted air suspension valves, particularly the two front leveling units and the rear-axle leveling unit, but also the master valve (the one near the compressor at the front of the engine bay).

These things have, it seems, a quite limited lifespan - from friend's and my experience about six years from new or following a rebuild, regardless of distance traveled. They are becoming harder and harder to find, and it would be good to have a few spare sets for advance rebuilding so that when one (or more) fails, there is a ready replacement for it rather than having to wait for a Sydney or Melbourne rebuild to happen when needed.

Apparently Syd and Melb are the only places in Oz where these things are rebuilt; there is also a bloke in the US who does them - for a price very similar to the Oz operators. All rebuilds are done on one's own valves or on an exchange basis - new stock is virtually unavailable - and certainly unaffordable.

So, if you're reading this and have some old valves lurking in a dark corner (beware the redbacks!) that you'd like to be rid of, let me know. Perhaps there are those who have done the conversion to steel springs who haven't thrown out the air suspension parts.

Thanks. :)

s class

OBH,

GrantV has learned how to rebuild the valves, and claims, that like cnaything, its quite simple when you know how. He has done sets for some local guys here and I'm sure his price is much cheaper than the U.S. Either he could do it for you, of explain how its done - not sure if its a 'trade secret'.

He is also in the proocess of downsizing his air suspended fleet and I think he is getting rid of some air suspension parts. It would be worth your while to contact him.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi OBH, your request is of a somewhat 'delicate' nature, isn't it ? Rebuilding the later model front and rear valves is a fairly routine process - I guess if you know what you're doing and if you have the RIGHT 'O' rings and shims, you're home and hosed. I can get you fully reconditioned valves, INDISTINGUISHABLE from new, for $355.00 each plus postage. That is a good price.

The rear valves, as used on models prior to probably 1968, are a different cattle of fish. They have a moulded rubber seal which would probably be unsuitable for any reconditioning attempt. Now, I have heard that they retail for $6k. each and chances are that one would have to convert to a later model system. I've not done it, so am unable to eloborate further. There is also a difference as far as the master valve is concerned - I am talking about 300 v. 6.3, but those give very little trouble as a rule.

I can only say 'good luck' with your search as it is not going to be an easy task for anyone to part with spare valves. Regards Styria

Last edited: