6.9 upper control arms

More threads by Bandolero

Bandolero

I just found out from the dealer that the LH upper control arm is no longer available for the 6.9 but they have plenty of RH side ones.
Is the balljoint that is on the control arm able to be reconditioned????
The 6.9 ones are different to the normal 116 as they are stronger and made out of steel not alloy.

abl567

Super Moderator
I just found out from the dealer that the LH upper control arm is no longer available for the 6.9 but they have plenty of RH side ones.
Is the balljoint that is on the control arm able to be reconditioned????
The 6.9 ones are different to the normal 116 as they are stronger and made out of steel not alloy.

Do you have a part number? I'll try the classic centre for you and see how we go

OP
B

Bandolero

Sorry, no part number.
I don't need one yet, it was just that I'm getting prepared for later when I will need some suspension parts :)

Styria

The Godfather
Have a talk to styria.

I have purchased a reconditioned one from him.

Bill

Hi Bandy, I have those Ball Joints reconditioned and supply the arm on an exchange basis.

There can be a problem. The exchange can only work if the unit exchanged is the proper 6.9 steel unit which, as you rightly point out, is stronger than the replacement, or any original fitted, alloy unit. Thus, I am presently in the position of having the one side only - I forget which - as the exchange unit was alloy and I did not use it - in fact, the sale of my reconditioned item was a straight out sale.Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I've got at least 2 cars that only have the alloy arms fitted (by POs). Are they liable to break on me??? :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I have my doubts about breakage. Naturally, there had to be a reason why MB decided to produce a steel unit for the 6.9s, and leave the alloy ones to be fitted to the smaller engined models. I am just thinking aloud - is it possible that:

a. The alloy units should be fitted to the Ch. 123 models only, and
b. Were the steel ones fitted to the 450s (116 032/3) as well ?

Tony, you have a couple of 450s (well, so do I :confused:), but you might like to carry out a check to see if yours are alloy or steel.

I have also found that the outer plain rubber bushes come in versions where the ID differs from bush to bush - in other words, you normally need a bush with a smaller diameter ID, yet when I have ordered them through Marshalls with the correct chassis number, I have been supplied with the larger ID bush. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I wonder if the part number for the old steel ones has been superseded by the alloy units? It seems the vehicles that I have that've seen any type of maintenance have the alloy units fitted. Although one car has one of each! I'll check my 450 and report back...

Tony66_au

Mark, I have my doubts about breakage. Naturally, there had to be a reason why MB decided to produce a steel unit for the 6.9s, and leave the alloy ones to be fitted to the smaller engined models. I am just thinking aloud - is it possible that:

a. The alloy units should be fitted to the Ch. 123 models only, and
b. Were the steel ones fitted to the 450s (116 032/3) as well ?

Tony, you have a couple of 450s (well, so do I :confused:), but you might like to carry out a check to see if yours are alloy or steel.

I have also found that the outer plain rubber bushes come in versions where the ID differs from bush to bush - in other words, you normally need a bush with a smaller diameter ID, yet when I have ordered them through Marshalls with the correct chassis number, I have been supplied with the larger ID bush. Regards Styria

Sorry Styria Ive missed this conversation mate, Is there an easy way to ID them (Scrape the goop off I guess) and why?

abl567

Super Moderator
With a magnet;) Maybe not, just noticed alloy, not aluminium

Tony66_au

Easier too because I have a few magnetic pickup tools including a fairly powerful rare earth magnet telescopic tool for when you need to coax something from an inaccessible spot.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Only 6.9's have Steel top arms, all other W116 models were fitted with alloy arms from the factory.
My theory on the steels arms. Something to do with suspension travel if the suspension goes down, the alloy may me prone to cracking if the car is driven this way.