Fitting aftermarket cruise control?

More threads by Bandolero

Bandolero

I'm sick of the factory cruise control on my 280 forever disconnecting after a few kms even though I have a recon unit from Autohaus.
I would like to fit the Auscruise cruise control to it as I've heard they are a good brand to use.
Has anyone fitted aftermarket cruise to their 116 and what brand did they use and do I buy the vacuum model or the electric model?
Also, I believe I can use the old stalk with a special kit.
I'm hoping that someone has done this conversion and knows what model to use etc.
I do mainly freeway driving and need the cruise to keep me at the speed limit.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm sick of the factory cruise control on my 280 forever disconnecting after a few kms even though I have a recon unit from Autohaus.
I would like to fit the Auscruise cruise control to it as I've heard they are a good brand to use.
Has anyone fitted aftermarket cruise to their 116 and what brand did they use and do I buy the vacuum model or the electric model?
Also, I believe I can use the old stalk with a special kit.
I'm hoping that someone has done this conversion and knows what model to use etc.
I do mainly freeway driving and need the cruise to keep me at the speed limit.

I have a Styria-reconditionned unit on my 690SEL and it works superbly!

OP
B

Bandolero

Nah, I want to go modern using the pick-up on the tailshaft and also new components everywhere. I'm sick of the old set-up, if it's not one thing it's the other that goes wrong.:mad:
I'm also changing to remote central locking as the vacuum locks only last about 5 minutes. I'm not going to chase vac leaks and repair seals only to have the pipes break because they are brittle as well.
I converted the 6.9 to remote central locking and it works great. I even did the boot and when I make up a bracket, the petrol filler will lock as well.
I use these cars as everyday transport so I want all accessories to work well.
I like my creature comforts.:)
If they were fair weather cars used once a week or less, it wouldn't be so bad. (I could cope with the niggling problems.)

Last edited:
B

BAR

I am reasonably confident that the OEM product is manufactured by VDO. One can obtain the aftermarket VDO unit and 'build' a new connector to reuse the MB wiring and plug it striaght into the new VDO command module.

Generally the real problem with the old units is not with the ancillaries, but the Crusie Control Module itself. With age, there is deterioration of the 'soldered' joints, some drying and thus a gap in the circuit and also the capacitors fail and leak. This would explain the 5 minutes of running time for your unit.

MB Spares (Canberra based outfit) will provide you a guaranteed reconditioned unit.

It would be best to try this first.

Styria

The Godfather
This is a very curious thread, especially considering a couple of the posts. Quite a while ago, and it was on Topklasse, reference was made to the cruise control modules, and at that time I suggested that units reconditioned 'on the cheap were not doing their job' and I no longer sell those. I had a failure rate of 66.66% (in other words, two out of three) and it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Have since gone back to a proper Instrument Repairer - he charges quite a bit more, but the product works and there is a twelve months warranty. Regards Styria (that's what Michel has).