Cruise control

More threads by aussie 6.9

aussie 6.9

Noble
I have just completed a very enjoyable 1000k road trip in my 6.9 and all went well except the cruise control stopped working and the blinkers are slow when cold. My question is where are the the cruise control module and the blinker unit located. Regards Mark.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, both units are located well behind the instrument panel. The cruise control module, more than likely the culprit of non-function, is attached to a large bracket which, in turn, is bolted to another alloy bracket. Access to both unit is best gained by removing the driver's velour covered knee pad, plus the large plastic Air Heating and Cooling panel located behind the velour knee pad.

The unit for the indicator operation is located in exactly the same area near the cruise control module. Switch on the ignition with everything removed, and you will be able to trace the ticking noise by touching with your hand. Last known price, if available, was in the one hundred dollar region. The cruise control module you may have to purchase re-manufactured from the States. Probably at least $320.00 US. Regards. Styria

sean sherry

Master
Modules etc., fitted with a circuit Board can be repaired with an inspection of, firstly the soldered joints.. then check if:) any of the resistors show distress from overheating..... Electric capacitors have a finite life, they usually show as bloated..
All the older circuit boards are analog so almost all the components can be sourced. Check the board voltage it should be 5 volts and broken down from 12v by a chip converter ( E prom usually with 6 legs.)
The soldered joints are almost always a culprit, dry joints. Re do all of them
using a proper temperature controlled Soldering iron. A half hour spent could save a few hundred Dollars, Nothing ventured ..nothing gained

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Sean, have you seen the circuit board of a 116 cruise control unit ? It is a maze of everything that I am not familiar with, nor recognize any of the components. Some years ago, I decided to take advantage of one of the TK members who volunteered to fix my modules that weren't working at moderate cost to me. Now, this was a guy pretty smart with lots of things, alas all of the modules he did fore did not work once installed.

I wish I could illustrate the circuitry of a cruise control module. It is a bit daunting to the uninitiated. Regards Styria

N.B. This gives a bit of an idea of the layout of the Circuit Board.

http://www.cruisecontrolrepair.com/servo-cruise-control-diagnostics

I thought we might just add these threads into one. It was a while ago, but still makesinteresting reading.

http://www.topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3526

Last edited:

sean sherry

Master
Even though the Cruise control Module may be complicated I would re do all the soldered joints. Age always gets to the solder, probably before the components
Got to be worth a try as a lot of electrical issues are down to bad connectors
Soldered joints are connectors too.:)