CA40-F094-F4-CD-4363-9817-05-F3-F98074-E4.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
How bad was it?

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I think it was a good price for the seller but it did have high compression engine. Looks like an early car with no timber on the console although the speedo looks like km only so maybe parts have been swapped?

I had set aside a day to have a closer look but it sold before I had a chance. Looks like rust in the sills & boot area. Apparently in the doors too. Suspension appears to be blocked up rather than operative.

The car was bought in NSW & recently sent to Vic. The new buyer is in NSW so it’s going back! Whoever bought it apparently sold another for $55k so they have resources to restore this one but not sure if there’s much profit to be made after costs.
5-FFCC6-B1-61-F7-45-C8-964-C-ED6-EC2-CDE0-AD.jpg

A4-E293-F3-AFE7-47-F7-94-B2-6-F59-A33128-D5.jpg

F7469-C56-E181-45-D2-B05-C-CFBB78-D205-B2.jpg

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes Oil cooler means it's Euro high comp car

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I foreknew that I sold my 6.9 too cheaply, but a more important point has to be made.
It went to a new owner, who fully appreciates what 6.9's are all about.
Nothing beats the ride of a 6.9. Had my mother, and on another occasion, my mother-in-law sitting in the back like Lady Kafoops, both with a smile on their face. Those times are always good to remember. :)
New owner Mark has driven it return to Adelaide four times.

Now, I have a superior car. (E55 AMG). So good in fact, that I bought the W202 C280, to help keep extra klms on the AMG to a low level - around 2,000 klms / year. Performance wise, runs rings around a 6.9. Two seconds less 0-100 km/hr, and much more sure footed. Certainly feels well planted.
W210's however, don't look quite as nice as W116's. W116 styling screams "Mercedes-Benz[/B]".
It may not quite attain the investment potential of a good 6.9, but the prognosis looks pretty good.

Cost double what I sold the 6.9 for, but the advantages are:
A near perfect 20 year old car, but with still less than 100,000 klms covered at the time of purchase.
Genuine full house AMG, which includes not only engine and drive line, but also all suspension and brake componetry, wheels, and all of the interior furnishings and exterior dress-up.
Body shell only from Sindelfingen. Only produced AMG's like that for a couple of years. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Had a couple of problems with it initially, but now all solved in accordance with original specification, including new Continental original AMG spec tyres.

Actually, my w202 C280 V6 is a Bremen car, not a New London (South African) car. If I look after it, it may have some investment potential as well.

Styria

The Godfather
Yes I think it was a good price for the seller but it did have high compression engine. Looks like an early car with no timber on the console although the speedo looks like km only so maybe parts have been swapped?

I had set aside a day to have a closer look but it sold before I had a chance. Looks like rust in the sills & boot area. Apparently in the doors too. Suspension appears to be blocked up rather than operative.

The car was bought in NSW & recently sent to Vic. The new buyer is in NSW so it’s going back! Whoever bought it apparently sold another for $55k so they have resources to restore this one but not sure if there’s much profit to be made after costs.
5-FFCC6-B1-61-F7-45-C8-964-C-ED6-EC2-CDE0-AD.jpg

A4-E293-F3-AFE7-47-F7-94-B2-6-F59-A33128-D5.jpg

F7469-C56-E181-45-D2-B05-C-CFBB78-D205-B2.jpg

Mark, do you know the guy who bought the car, and also do you have details of the $55K. sale of that person's 6.9 ? It's more as a matter of curiosity that I would like the details. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
$K.8 - it certainly is not cheap at that price. As Overdrive says, it is rewarding to see these 6.9s now fetch some really substantial starting prices. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Mark, do you know the guy who bought the car, and also do you have details of the $55K. sale of that person's 6.9 ? It's more as a matter of curiosity that I would like the details. Regards Styria

Unfortunately not. My info is 3rd hand only.

Styria

The Godfather
I actually recognise the car, and so should abl567 !It was in storage at Anthony's for some time until its owner decided to store it elsewhere - somewhere at Castle Hill. Originally I purchased the car from a dealer at Rozelle, and I onsold it to a client of mine for restoration purposes.

Alas, that did not eventuate as he became a victim of the global financial crisis. The dealer at Rozelle had obtained the car from a Rozelle resident who spent some money with me to carry out work. Unfortunately, he had no garaging facilities and the car was always parked out in the open. After I had worked on the car, I lost track of it until said dealer got hold of it. The whole transaction was an unfortunate one on account of the owner getting hit hard by the financial crisis. There is another aspect, or two, to all of this. Read on.

He was also the owner of a Milan Brown 6.9 that was up for sale for $8. And, in fact, our very own Professor, namely Benz Boy, looked at that Milan Brown 6.9 with a view to purchase it. It is a fact that he didn't get it for reasons not known to me. However, it was a cracking good car. 15" Bundts, perfect resprayed and a completely new interior, with all work and restoration performed by guess who ? Parks and myself. Yes, he did all the body preparation, and it was perfectly prepared. The painting was arranged with a top class painter, and we used a spray booth at Glenorie. Regards. Sttyria

Styria

The Godfather
Furthermore ! The 6.3 on that car carrier - it may well have belonged to the owner of the Milan Brown 6.9. If that is the case, we had a considerable involvement with that car as well. Oversize - was it in Astral Silver with brand new blue upholstery and brand new carpets ? If so, it is THE car. Again, a victim of the GFC.

Did you get a chance to look at that car more closely ? Had the engine been refitted ? When it left my workshop, the car was in dismantled stage, but all complete. Interior all fitted out and, from memory, we may even have resprayed the car. I have a number of pictures and I should really dig them out for the coming GTG. Regards. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I now have some more information. The Gold 6.9 was purchased by a guy named Peter who is a resident in the Maitland area. I had been given Peter's mobile number by Steve, the guy at Ballarat that sold the car. I established contact with Peter and he was absolutely over the moon to actually be able to converse with a fellow 6.9 owner. He had lots of questions etc. etc. and it was a great half hour to talk cars. As an aside, I forgot to ask if he was involved in the purchase of Anthony's 450SE/L that he had bought from Benz Boy ? I seem to recall that it went to someone in the Maitland area.

Furthermore, I also spoke to Steve at Ballarat who had bought the two cars in Sydney. Obviously, he sold the 6.9, but is keeping the 6.3. It is the car that I have already referred to, with the interior being refurbished completely by Parks and myself. The guy is over the moon with the quality of the trim work that he regards as "world class" and he did pay $20K. for it, with also the reconditioned engine, plus a generous quantity of spare parts being part of the deal he obtained. Regards Styria

N.B. I have reason to believe that the 6.9 will become a parts car ! Peter has suspension problems with his present 6.9 and is keen to utilize any suspension parts from the Gold 6.9

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I have reason to believe that the 6.9 will become a parts car ! Peter has suspension problems with his present 6.9 and is keen to utilize any suspension parts from the Gold 6.9

That’s a shame, but no doubt it needs a lot of work! Can you convince him to join TK?? :rolleyes::D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Michel, great to meet you on the weekend.

Is this the same 6.9 at the Auction? I believe that front number plate was in the boot.

Dave

Hi Dave,

According to the VIN, it was not the same car.

Dave83

Respectable
Hi Dave,

According to the VIN, it was not the same car.

Ah I see. Must have been a coincidence, the plate was even bent the same. The gold one at auction did have its tape player in too, with an ABBA Gold tape in it. Real classy.

Dave

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As soon as I get a chance I'll post the cars and their VINs