Rusty nuts?

More threads by BenzBoy

Tony66_au

Yep, bought some from Blackwoods and it was ok but fairly expensive.

Ive also seen it at Bearing wholesale and CBC.

Last can cost me $46.00

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, any Loctite product will pretty well cost you an arm and a leg. At that sort of price as quoted by Tony, I would be happy to grind the offending part. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

I thought about it Styria, but I wasnt sure if I could find a stud to replace the one I was removing and needed the car together the next day.

In a pinch it worked well and it was in a tight spot as well.

Tony66_au

Yeah the first time I hit some exhaust flange nuts and ended up snapping one and bitching about it as you do!

Then the guy who put me onto it told me you need to be generous with it to freeze the nuts which @ $40 a can I had "Issues" with doing but when I did freeze the nuts off the manifold it actually worked.

I never bought another can though and use Inox with good results

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Both the Loctite and the WD 40 are very low viscosity penetrating oils.

So how do you choose?

Viscosity is a measurement of the internal shear resistance of a fluid. It is measured in Poises. Viscosity is also related to surface tension, but is not the same thing. Surface tension is the ability of a liquid to wet a surface.

Standard lab. test results of the two products (if you can find published results), should reveal the answer.

I would guess that the spread rate of a standard droplet of a product on a standard test surface in this case, may reveal test values, or that viscosity directly has been measured.

Perhaps Choice Magazine has publshed such results. Perhaps their findings are now published on line, but I guess that you would have to be a subscriber. Pity; I don't now have access to a Choice Magazine library, I used to. If you are desperate for consumer information of any sort, the local library may subscribe to Choice Magazine.

When it is all scrubbed up, there may be very little practical difference between the two products, and it usually comes down to price and availabilty

Tony66_au

I just use what works although it is interesting that INOX reacts with rust and you get a slight reaction.

The other issue I've found is that stuff people have sworn by for years suddenly go through an ingredient change for whatever reason and no longer work well.

Penetrene is something I've given up on and the same for Aerostart, they just dont do the job anymore AFAIC.

Oversize

Grand Master
To me it seems pointless spending a lot because if the nuts and bolts are that rusty, they'll need replacing anyway. But for those very hard to get at items which are securing valuable components, they're worth a try....