Well I must be nuts...

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master

Lukas

Congrats - looks like a decent price. I've not seen those plastic headlight protectors before either.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks John S, the only downside is the cost of transportation to Melbourne, which will add to the overall cost.

Their value seems to be holding at around $4000, for ones that need some TLC. Rusty ones can be had for not much less and far more headaches! My parts car's pretty very average in the body dept & I paid a bit more than this one 7 years ago. With a little luck their value will one day go up (but I'm certainly not in it for the money)! :D

The missus likes horses, so we'll be below the poverty line soon! At least she tolerates my apparent need to collect MBs!! ;)

Tony66_au

Nice find!

My Missus used to re educate Horses (Break) and we had a trade off deal so dollar for dollar I could spend what she spent, on cars.
A good arrangement until I showed her what she spent over 12 months was double what I did.

That said we are now 100% Horse (And now Injury) free.

So Mark, are you going to fly up and drive the old girl back?

Make for an epic road trip!

I did this with a Range Rover a few years ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well all but 2 are under cover. My parts car (4248) & 5298 are out in the weather, but I keep them covered with tarps when it's raining & sunshades on them if it's hot (all very time consuming). I also keep a refill of fabric softener & a small container of Damprid in each. This keeps away any odours & moisture. 6301 & 5541 will be in paid undercover storage. The Buick will be stored in a shipping container. All less than ideal, but it's only until April when we move into a new place with plenty of storage. And we'll be looking at another shed in 2012; so we'll have his 'n hers (I don't want to keep them in the shed with the stables)! Oh & can someone stop me looking at E-bay; I swear I need help!!!!! :D

Last edited:

Lukas

Rust is a bit of a lurker. You never know what is under the glued down heat insulation on the floor.

I'll second that - the 450 that I'm dismantling has the usual suspect squishy floor mats, a fair bit of rust in the channels that hold up the seats and rear floor A/C, and absolutely heaps fell out when I pulled the HVAC fan out.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Sadly I won't have time to drive her home, plus I don't wanna attempt such a long trip without checking everything first. I think I'll start another thread on the dreaded tin worm.....

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Oversize, the car certainly looks the part and the price is certainly cheap enough - I guess it's all relative, and to what extent you are prepared to spend money and devote time to this project - come to think of it, the same sentiments ought to be applied to your other projects as well, even though I understand that a couple of your cars are strictly parts only cars.

I take it that you bought this car sight unseen ? I guess you know that can be a lottery but, at times, you can be lucky and I hope that Lady Luck is on your side in this instance. All seats being sheepskin covered can be a good thing or, conversely, they may hide some unpleasant surprises. Your present circumstances are not an ideal situation to keeping cars, and it can only be hoped that your future house purchase will lighten the problems of storage for you.

Perhaps you may be able to elaborate a little on your intentions as far as future restoration activities are concerned. Which car are going to concentrate on, and what is your ultimate realistic aim - you know, I am talking about extent and standards of restoration etc. I would be most interested to hear. Good luck with everything. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Prior to April I won't have had time, or space to devote to any of my cars. After a divorce 12 months ago it's taken me time to get back on my feet. Now, with a supportive partner the sky's the limit for us.

I'm aware of the time & resources required to maintain / repair any old car & these MBs are even more demanding. Despite my current storage issues, I treat all on my vehicles with care & regard myself as their gardian. I would not purchase a vehicle if I knew it'd be exposed to the elements on a permanent basis (particularly knowing their succeptability to rust).

Despite the fact that I've indicated one of my 6.9s is parts only it is not without trepidation. It is with deep regret that one is beyond hope & I sometimes second-guess my assessment. However when I list all the faults it quickly becomes clear that it's by no means finacially viable.

I am a perfectionist & always have been. All my vehicles will be treated as such when my life's back on track, very soon. Expect more detailed posts of repairs from me in the future. I have big plans for all my vehicles, but I'll refrain from revealing all my cards at the moment. I'd rather not be all noise & no action.

As a work colleague said to me a while ago, "It's best to buy something when you don't need it & sell when you don't have to". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Oversize, it's good to hear that life is back on an even keel with you, and I for one am certainly looking forward to hear of your progress if and when circumstances permit you to do so. Things can be pretty tough sometimes, and it becomes a matter of perserverance to get back to the status quo. Good luck with everything, Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
As for my standards of restoration; none will be concourse, as I don't believe it's a realistic expectation for the examples I possess. All have had a chequered past, which cannot be undone. Two have books, one being my parts car (4248). The other (5298) is close to original, save for the radio & suspension gas cell mods. This one has rust in some of the doors, a little in the sills, the lower rear quarters and a spot on the roof. It certainly needs some attention after years of neglect.

6301 is on LPG & will remain so. It will receive more modifications than any of the rest, as it's a Euro version with higher compression & not restricted by the emission equipment. I'll be changing the tank supply lines, convertor & mixer in the near future. It certainly is the loudest of the bunch! It has the best body of the ones I've seen so far. Only minor rust in one of the wheel wells.

5541 is my most recent purchase and differs from the rest as it's red & not blue, like the others. Yes it was purchased site unseen, which I'll admit was a risk. However 6301 was purchased after a thorough independent inspection & although it was comprehensive, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (or suspect), after my own research. Unfortunately inspecting either car myself wasn't possible, which is obviously the best option. After several discussions with the previous owner of 5541, I felt he was genuine enough for me to go ahead with the purchase. I already know there's some rust in the driver's door. This process is not for everyone; especially someone inexperienced to whom I would recommend an independant inspection. Time will tell if I was wrong & I'll be the first to admit that I made a mistake.

The Buick is the only one with sentimental value & will be modified to my taste. My feeling is that there's enough immaculate examples in the States with a fully documented history, low miles & no modifications (L to R & brake conversions etc). Combined with the low dollar value of the car (as it has 4 doors) and the fact I don't wish to follow in everyone's footsteps, I've come to the conclusion that tastefull modification will make me the happiest. I will stop short of changing the external panels & trim & the dashboard. It will be undertaken to be period-sympathetic, with the ultimate goal being to display the car at most major car shows (including Summernats).

Lukas

By the way, I'm curious - why is the parts car a parts car - what "failings" does it have that made it cross the line?

(wondering if some of my flock is of "parts" standard :) )

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
4248 is a parts car in my book because of the following reasons:

Leaking sunroof,
Rusted out sunroof frame,
Water damaged roof lining,
Leaking front & rear screens,
Completely cracked up leather on front seats,
Rusted / corroded seat frames,
No carpets (due to water damage),
Cracked dashboard,
Rusted out firewall,
Rusted outer sills,
Severely dinted sills & floorpan (due to some idiot with a trolley jack - not me!),
Faded & peeling paint,
Rusted out doors (at least 3),
Windows & sunroof not working,
Faulty fuel pump (intermittent operation probably due to contaminated fuel),
Dinted & rusty rear bumper, and
Weathered external aluminium trims.

However the clincher is that it's had water inside over a long period (prior to me buying the car), which has caused rust to form around all internal panel seams, joins & even spots on flat painted areas (which you'd think would never rust). Most aluminium components inside the car have evidence of corrosion, due to the high humidity inside. Unless to car was completely stripped n dipped (followed by some type of rust inhibiting dipping process), all the effort & $$ would be wasted, as it'd continue to rust until there was nothing left. Yes, many 116s have rust in the areas described, but other than that they're free of rust in flat open areas. This one has rust everywhere & I'm sure it will become even more evident as I use more parts... :(

Special note: Unless you're 100% positive your sunroof, windscreens & firewall are completely water-tight, NEVER leave these cars out in the rain.....

Tony66_au

Good qweshtun Lukas!

The answer is commensurate with your own skill level and how dedicated to the task you are.

An example was my 65 Mk X which came to me in a sad and sorry state with rooted walnut, mouldy leather and a seized engine that was full of water up top and fuel/oil down below.

And when I pulled the obligatory 6 inches of insulation out of the cars floor pan (It has to be seen to be believed) both front and rear floor pans were Holier than Lourdes with a massive attack of tinworm.

However I had at my disposal a fully equipped workshop, a new MIG and a mate who restored cars and did hand fabrication so the stripout continued in his workshop and providing I kept him in coffee, Milk, Cookies and Bourbon he said I could have the space for 12 months.

With his help I acquired skills id never have got anywhere and did the job to the paintwork stage at which point I paid a mate of his to finish the job.

IF id tried this in my single car garage with the limited tools I had then the car would have followed its original course to the scrappies minus anything I could unbolt or section.

My motivation was a drive in a very well sorted Mk X with D type cams from Melb to Shep with the XK motor purring away at 110 MPH and some fond childhood memories.

There were also no forums back then and internet sourcing of parts from the UK was not even a pipe dream so by the grace of a good friend and a big dream I got the job done.

Tony

Tony66_au

Oh and when it comes to Mercedes?

If I cant drive it home then its a 50% chance a being a wrecker and any turret rust is an almost sure fire sign it will be a parts car, Which is why my 450 is sans Sunroof/Rainhole lol