w107 custom exhaust

More threads by garrye

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Has anyone ever done a custom exhaust on a w107 to get the old v8 burble sound?

Indeed, HRH Vincent Thompson, President of the MBCNSW has :D :p

Oversize

Grand Master
I intend to focus on extractors for my W116s, which will probably be an engine-out proposition. Once fitted the rest will be easy. Following Styria's lead I'll be using flanges instead of the original slip joints to make disassembly much easier. I once thought dual pipes would be the way to go, but the large diameter single system with a high flow muffler (and cats) on my AU V8 sounds awesome!! :cool: I'm starting to wonder if a larger muffler will tend to give that deep throaty V8 burble that I love so much.... Bigger chamber = an internal echo-like effect??

BTW Blue Flame has a modified exhaust and sounds like a worked big block Chev! And that's WITHOUT extractors! I do intend to use the system fitted to that car as a reference point. Pix to follow when I get to it....

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
To get back to GarryE's original post - you may wish to have a look at Michel's 500SL AMG - whilst I am not sure, I suspect that his car is fitted with extractors. The exhaust sound is quite, shall we say, intoxicating - just keep on easing off the throttle, and re-apply - it puts a smile on your lips each and every time.

I don't know, Garry, what system you have on your car - I do know that 350s can sound quite roarty - on those, the original muffler is a very shallow affair and, some years ago, I decided to fit a 350 first muffler to GLeaming Beauty. It did eventuate in a slightly more raspy exhaust note, but the large 6.9 end muffler certainly greatly restricted the music coming from the exhaust pipes. Thus, some little while ago, I did away with the huge rear muffler and had Merrylands Exhaust fit a beautiful, straight through item in its place, with straight twin pipes emanating from under the rear apron. A bit like Oversize's muffler system, the exhaust note resembles that of a helicopter (yes, that's right), but it doesn't sound quite as gruff as Oversize's. It certainly is, mind you, somewhat throatier than the system on Michel's Red Terror. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Garrye i would go with Brians suggestion in Sydney of HiTech .But any good exhaust shop should be able to make a good sports exhaust . I would go twin 2 1/4 inch front pipes with front mufflers then into a 2 1/2 inch single tail pipe with a rear muffler . And as soon as i figure out how to post when i have the time i will record my car Mark it sounds like a broadside from the Bismark . It is louder than my VY one tonner it had duel 3 inch pipes with only centre mounted hot dog mufflers a real b&s ute sound . Geoff :D

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, that 6.9 of a truck engine, certainly produces its own, distinctive note. To be sure, it is a somewhat gruff engine, not particularly quiet, but the torque produced by what is essentially an outdated design, is quite remarkable. No need to change gears, just plant your foot. Someone though should try changing down to 2nd at about 50 km/hour - the acceleration is remarkable. Regards Styria

OP
garrye

garrye

Thanks everyone for the input,
My exhaust at present is stock except I removed centre muflers with actually no difference in sound.
Its time to play around again and see what note I can acheive.

Styria

The Godfather
If you're trying to get better sound, I would imagine that ther'd be no need for extractors. There is not a lot of space under the bonnet of your 450, and extractors would be quite costly. Better sound - should be easily achieved with appropriate muffler(s). If I were you, I'd still look at Michel's car for guidance. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Garrye as a rull extractors will cost about 300 per cylinder so at least 2500 to make you will not get them for under this i know i have them on my 6.9 :D

OP
garrye

garrye

Can anyone explain what the cross over pipe is for, as I dont know what it actually does, and is it really needed?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Garrye it balance the exhaust gas with a V8 so you have the same back pressure on both banks. But mainly it stops the exhaust popping and crackling and give a less boomy exhaust sound . Geoff

Oversize

Grand Master
Not really needed on an original benz as I the dual pipes go into single mufflers where the gasses from both banks are combined.

I'd look at a large diameter single system, as it's difficult to get twin pipes side-by-side to look neat (unless you know a very good exhaust shop). Just get a rear muffler with twin outlets for that original style.

I have exactly that setup on my AU V8 and it still crackles n pops on over-run like a Supercar! It sounds brilliant at 3K rpm and I've been waiting for good weather to shoot a video with some special audio gear.....

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
On a V8, you can't beat a twin exhaust sound and feel because of the two banks of pistons and because of the 'even' number of cylinders on each side (it's not as nice on a V6).
As long as you have the 'right' back pressure, your car will definitely breathe and go better;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Phewww

After reading and absorbing that, do I get a certificate of achievement? :D

Wow, that needs serious mechanical and engineering knowledge!!! :eek:

Thanks Geoff, very interesting article... ;)