Oops.. I did it again

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

No... this isn't Britney spears related - but either way just as stupid!

So...... I've just bought an XR6 ute off my mate who goes overseas in 3 weeks. I hadn't taken delivery yet but had to borrow it to help a chick move on sat.

I left home at 10am on sat morning and about 2km from my house - pushed the clutch in and it never came back out. I pulled over.

Realised the bracket that hooks onto the clutch then the clutch cable end (little knob thing) hooks in and works etc. The bracket has snapped and the clutch cable slipped through. I thought I could fix it, but after 2hrs upside down int he drivers seat (with left leg hanging out the window on a 35deg cels day - yes it's f*kn red) I gave up. Every time I fixed it, after the 3rd or 4th push on the clutch it would pull through the metal again.

So I gave up, borrowed another car for the day and helped this chick move house.

Went out sat night, had a few well deserved drinks and all was good.

Sunday morning, decided to go back to the ute, and start it in 1st gear and limp it home (only bout 2-3km's) in 1st gear. This worked fine.
I parked it behind the garage, and it stopped bout 2mtrs from the garage wall.
I thought it was a fair way out and people needed to get past so I better move it a bit closer to the wall.
Started in 1st gear, 1 crank would've been ok - 2 cranks = Concrete wall.

Result:

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff89/SELfor50/XR6%20Ute/

It's ok to laugh - cause that's all that's left to do. :eek:

Andrew280SEL

Ohhhhhh....:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about that Cam, but luckily I guess those (XG?) fronts are quite common and should be reasonably easy to replace. Especially compared to a Benz anyway ;)
And I suppose an XF one would be interchangeable to. :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Michel flies home tomorrow and Daimler Des will be over here at the beginning of next month so those two plus Miss Olga will be around shortly to beat you stupid for doing this. Doing what? Driving a bloody XR6 - that's what!!!:D
Who cares what you do to it...(insert tongue poking smiley while wearing a 'Benz is Better' cap)....
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited:

WGB

Bumper is probably a push out job.

Grill is cheap. Probably get a second hand bonnet in the same colour if your lucky - if not it will just need painting.

Hardest part will be fixing the the clutch cable problem.

Bill

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahaha... I know - fair call regarding driving a ford.

The only reason I bought it was to towe the Beast to the track.... Not even sure it would hold up though.

And true that Des, it's got Tickford running gear too I think so that engine in the fordedes would probably go quite well..

It was pretty funny hey.... I'm actually still laughing at how my brain said - don't turn the key cam it'll end in tears, my hand said - 'nah it's cool, she'll be right'. Turn... Ended in tears of laughter. classic.

Andrew280SEL

LOL, sorry I'm quite visual. ;)

Actually though, I quite like those utes (I have an XF). Well, at least the 250 Crossflow motor. I don't fancy the cheap plastic bits that break, like door handles and bumper clips and stuff, but the engines are strong as anything and with a little modding can make very nice power as well. 316Nm of torque (in the carby version, EFI has 330 or so) isnt to bad for an 80's six either.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Ohh Cam... mate...... :eek:

what have you done? :confused:
what were you thinking :confused:
how about putting it in reverse before starting ?

I feel for you mate...... :(

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam2, that's a corker of a story - well. you know, commiserations and all that but the way you told it just had to make me laugh. You've never elaborated on the female that part of this story - I hope she was worth it. Regards, Styria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahaha... thanks guys!

Andrew, I wish i had a video of it. It was pretty bloody funny.

Those starter motors def have a whole bunch of torque... :rolleyes:

Styria, she's a lovely girl and was worth the hassle. I'm actually recording her demo too - i might post some up for a listen when i'm done. She's got an amazing voice!! :cool:

Styria

The Godfather
Ah well, Cam2, it was all justified and for a good cause. All's well rhar ends well. BTW, she's obviously a singer - modern stuff or what. It sounds to me as though you and Jammer should get together. Regards Styra

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahaha... so true Oscar. As it happened I was actually looking at the fordedes that was in the garage at the time. And was so happy that I hit that pillar. If I hit the fordedes I would've taken a hammer to the ford.....ute. bit ironic i know.

Styria, she plays guitar and does alot of acoustic versions of newer songs but very sweet sounding. Real jazzy / swing feel.
Does Jammer play / sing?
Jammer?
[slight thread hijack]

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Funny you mention a jazzy/swing feel; let me give jammer a plug: www.swingcity.com.au :D

You're sh!tting me right?? WTF?! :eek:

Jammer - you are A PIMP!! :cool:
I mean that in a totally, you're not an actual pimp, you're fresher than the corner bakery @ 6am - kinda way!!

Big fan of your tunes..and apparently now share your passion for what a quality automobile is too.. :)

Keep Jammin dude! :cool:

oscar

Very impressive...

Gosh... I just realised that JAMMER aka John Morrisson looks like Jim Morrisson... :eek:

You Serious?? Looks nothing like him:D

jim_morrison_narrowweb__300x425,0.jpg

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahahah... bam.. nice one Oscar..

And yes, I experienced the same revellation Michel! :eek:

When I saw John's pic on the website, I went... now I know why he seemed familiar in those pics..

I guess Topklasse really is 'Top Klasse'! Even attracting celebs... ;) :cool:

John S

There was no need to drive home in first gear, by accelerating then easing off slightly to unload the gears you can slip into neutral then adjust the reves to change into any gear you want. You then slip into neutral when coming to a stop, switch off, put it into gear and turn the starter to get going again.
Anyone with a manual gearbox should practise this technique for when they really need to use it.
I have only needed to do this once, and the practise paid off as I had to drive from Penrith to Parramatta in peak hour traffic on the Great Western Highway.