Oops.. I did it again

More threads by SELfor50

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

There was no need to drive home in first gear, by accelerating then easing off slightly to unload the gears you can slip into neutral then adjust the reves to change into any gear you want. You then slip into neutral when coming to a stop, switch off, put it into gear and turn the starter to get going again.
Anyone with a manual gearbox should practise this technique for when they really need to use it.
I have only needed to do this once, and the practise paid off as I had to drive from Penrith to Parramatta in peak hour traffic on the Great Western Highway.

Tried it mate.. However, i'm slightly handicapped in these techniques.
I have a handicapped leg that is either "On" or "Off" un-fortunately i can't teach it such things as half throttle... :eek:

B13

Bump... can we get some pictured of the repair work carried out?

:)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Smart a$$ mofo.... :( Will do, i'll post tonight.

OzBenzHead

Master
There was no need to drive home in first gear, by accelerating then easing off slightly to unload the gears you can slip into neutral then adjust the reves to change into any gear you want. You then slip into neutral when coming to a stop, switch off, put it into gear and turn the starter to get going again. [...]

Exactly the technique I used to use to drive around Newcastle in 1970 in a Morris Oxford station wagon that had permanently and seriously leaking clutch hydraulics. First gear (no synchro) - typical Pommy car - was so low that it wasn't needed; started in second on the starter motor when the lights went green.