Hello again

More threads by Jimb

Jimb

Distinguished
Hello again from Jimb.
Sorry about my absence from the Forum. Wife had another major operation and I got preoccupied looking after her and cook /bottle washer type duties. Robin managing OK but not great. Nothing life threatening though and that is the main thing, as you reach your senior years you just don't heal up as well as you would wish. I hope you all are keeping well and are free from this dreadful and evil virus.
Still have the 1974, 280 SE.
It is running well however the air-conditioning compressor locked up and I have had to disable it. Does anyone know if these can be reconditioned? . Not game to buy a second hand one, maybe no better than this one.
Kind Regards Jim

abl567

Super Moderator
Near on impossible to find someone who will recondition an A/C compressor these days, the compliance laws for A/C work are very strict and the penalties high for refrigerant released into the atmosphere.
The good news is the compressor is a generic, if I recall, AC Delco A6, and you should be able to have a new one supplied, fitted and commissioned for sub $700.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Good to hear from you Jim.
I’m glad you are both doing well, even after a bit of a set back.

All the best to both of you during this difficult time.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Near on impossible to find someone who will recondition an A/C compressor these days, the compliance laws for A/C work are very strict and the penalties high for refrigerant released into the atmosphere.
The good news is the compressor is a generic, if I recall, AC Delco A6, and you should be able to have a new one supplied, fitted and commissioned for sub $700.

Thank you abl567 I will check it out

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
20200309-132027.jpg
Hello abl567 I had a look at the AC Delco compressor it looks a lot different from this one
Regards Jim

abl567

Super Moderator
Yes, I think that is a York, fitted to early models. I do believe these are rebuildable.

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Thanks abl 567.for the information Now I know what it is I can make some enquiries.
Regards Jim

sean sherry

Master
Yes the Compressor can be rebuilt not difficult. I rebuilt mine on 107 a couple of years ago. Bearings are available also the Seals. If pistons are damaged a used one may have good Pistons.
Take a punt and fit one from the Wreckers from a running Car. :)

Old age is no fun keep your chin up ..... Best wishes

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hello Sean.
The problem with one's from the wreaking yard is they want $350.00 for them no guarantee offered with them. Being on aged pension It is just too much money to gamble with.
I will wait till the lock down is over. I have a friend that can collect the gas for me and I will take it off and have a go. Regards Jim.

sean sherry

Master
Before I tackled mine I looked on the net for a new one. From memory some were quite reasonable ?????? compared with Mercedes $1500 :eek:

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Hello Sean it looks like Repco may sell them.
At the moment I will bide my time until some normality returns.
If anyone has an old one from a car they have wrecked and no longer have a similar car I maybe interested in buying it. I could pull it apart and try a rebuild on it while leaving my old one intact for the time being.
Regards Jim

OP
J

Jimb

Distinguished
Thanks Bryce.
That was very interesting. When life gets back to normal. I will have the gas removed and take the compressor off and see if I can fix it. I am not sure if replacing the gaskets and seals will fix it. The unit was producing good cold air however it started to lock up (seize).
This was very noticeable at idle it would lock up causing the belt to squeal and shred. It was a new belt it is still OK because I disabled the compressor before it snapped the belt.
Can anyone tell me why it would seize there was no bad bearing noise coming from it. Would it be a broken piston? I think the car is now sufficiently good enough to warrant spending the money on the air-conditioning. The fuel injection is fine however I still worry if it had a major failure it could become unaffordable to repair and I would have wasted money on the air-conditioning. I tend to worry needlessly at times. It is on club plates and will only be doing 2 to 3000k a year tops.
Regards Jim.