Team116#2 chronicle 25May08: Say hello to 116!

More threads by B13

B13

Today was a long day and consisted in the following in no particular order:

Sponsor decals
T.K decal
Race number decals: 116
Competitor surname decals
Rear Spoiler
Downgrade centre console to single fan switch
Install cold air intake RH front
Remove RH front bumperette and wiper motor cover
Install Autometer extra intrumentation: vac, oil temp, fuel press
Fix under dash knee guards
Headlight covers (which is really just black Contact cut with scissors)
Photograph and beer

Discuss.

Picture%20or%20Video%201000%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

Picture%20or%20Video%201001%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

Picture%20or%20Video%201002%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

Picture%20or%20Video%201004%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

Picture%20or%20Video%201005%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

I.

Last edited:

Des

Looks tough!!!!

I guess cold air induction will not be a problem :D

what spec are the wheels??

nice to put a face to a name,

Des

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Needs more beer.

Seriously thogh, it looks mean! Can't wait to see the action pics/video and some lap times!

Have always wanted to do some racing myself but never got round to it... you are inspirational Ian! Well done!

Cam

oscar

Ian, that looks wicked. Congratulations.

The tripple gauge too! nice touch. Sponsors as well. I hadn't thought about asking for sponsors. Povo will be wearing what ever I find on ebay:rolleyes: I should send BOSCH an email and say I'm an 8yo kid collecting stickers. Please send me some. (preferrably imitation carbon fibre vinyl and three feet long):D

The tint goes really well and I know we've commented on the spoiler but I'm even more impressed seeing it again. Fantastic.

OP
B

B13

what spec are the wheels??

Rial 15x7" lightweight alloys shod with 225/60-15 Yokohama A032R R-spec semi-slick race tyres. These Rial wheels are hub centric...

Surprisingly they came with the car and are just the ticket for a competition car... the tyres can be picked up anywhere, and after extensive and exhaustive calculations about how long they last under an MB, Cam and I came to the conclusion we will need this many for a season of racing: f*%ken heaps.

Des

I wonder if you have had a look at your steering box mounting to see if it is cracked?

It would be interesting to see the differences between a car raced with and without this, as you would I imagine see the difference on the track.

Maybe the nice people at topklasse who sponsored your car could give you a trial unit or a discounted unit and then have you report back to us on the differences it made in a race meeting to the driving of your car?

Food for thought

Des

SELfor50

Ian, 116 look's f*kn DOPE!!!

Love it mate. The spoiler was built for it, MB just sold the plans to Ford. ;)

Stickers look the goods.

Those guages are sweet as too!! :D

So is young J.Mavric liking his new track car?? :cool:

Did you just cut the door strip yourself for the 116 car number?

OP
B

B13

Did you just cut the door strip yourself for the 116 car number?

I thought about applying the race number straight over the door strip and turned that down as too dodgy even for me... the procedure is remove the old door strip, clean the door... apply the race number in a manner which the black vinyl obscures the middle 3 holes... shorten the door strip and mount it with 2 pins and red doodads each...eh you'll work it out when you remove your door strip...

The kid is now hanging out to get his Cams lic... still a few years off though...

Des, I haven't thought much about the steering box... guess I should check it out maybe? All of the 116s I've owned have never had steering box issues, but I don't know if thats due to good luck or they aren't that much of a problem... If it looks the slightest bit iffy then I'll probably go with Styria's solution.

I.

Des

Des, I haven't thought much about the steering box... guess I should check it out maybe? All of the 116s I've owned have never had steering box issues, but I don't know if thats due to good luck or they aren't that much of a problem... If it looks the slightest bit iffy then I'll probably go with Styria's solution.

I.

I was also thinking along the lines of if it stiffens up the steering/chassis it would corner better, like stiffer shocks and swaybars have the same affect.

SELfor50

What's styria's solution on the steering box??

I'm actually planning to get mine re-built by MB spares.. The rubber bushing in the middle of it is cracked (is this the part you're talking about des?) and the steering has a fair bit of play and knock in it. I have thrown this heave bugger round quite a bit and am looking at preventing the inevitable 'let go' moment.

Des

What's styria's solution on the steering box??

I'm actually planning to get mine re-built by MB spares.. The rubber bushing in the middle of it is cracked (is this the part you're talking about des?) and the steering has a fair bit of play and knock in it. I have thrown this heave bugger round quite a bit and am looking at preventing the inevitable 'let go' moment.

Styria has made up a strengthening plate that goes between the box and the chassis, to hold it all toegther

see here:

http://topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=552