Team116 - Car #1 [Hillclimb @ Faribairn Park Sutton 30/03/2008]

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

So today went bloody great!

Props to Oscar, -bb- & Torana68 (off 'the org') for turning out!!! ;) :cool:
Support was much appreciated!!

I'm sure they'll have plenty pics / videos for y'all to peep at a later stage.
Thanks heaps for that too guys! ;)

I set a new PB as well!

Previous was 58.58, New PB is: 57.20 :D
Race spec tyres made a world of difference and to be honest, it took me all day to start realising how far I could push them.

Each run got quicker and quicker (except for the 4th run which had a pretty crazy finish line crossing) :eek: I'll leave the explanation to the video footage.

It's amazing how much difference the race tyres make.

Bring on Winton!!! :D:D:D

-bb-

Noble
Geat Day. I seem to be liking the place more every time I go there ;)

Took video of Cam's run's which I am going to give him tomorrow foe uploading to youtube. I am thinking about a highlight reel of some of the other cars racing... will have to see what I can put togrther.

The spin out on the 4th run was done with real style :D and even a cheer and clap from the spectators.

Well done Cam, you are going a great job of this hillclimb stuff. Bet Mercedes Benz never thought an S Class would be doing track work.

oscar

Had a great day, my chaparones too although they turned out red as lobsters in the cool Canberra sun and as you know, I got itchy lead feet :D How fast can a 280S go? Especially if it's red?:D

I'm back to reality now. Enough said before I start making promises I can't keep. Here's a few pics of Cam in action. This was the 4th run and yes, eagerly awaiting video:D

Generally everyone goes oooh aahhh at the "offs" and whilst Cam had no offs his finish on the 4th run was spectacular but I gotta say, the rest of this hotlap was great to watch. I know nothing about motorsports really but it was great to see improvements every time he went out. Wish I could make it to Winton too.

imgp4066largeef6.jpg

imgp4068largelt5.jpg

imgp4072largesl5.jpg

imgp4098largedl9.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Good onya Cam......

We're all proud of you..... :D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam2, great story and great pictures ! Thanks for putting it on TOPKLASSE - and thanks to Oscar as well. I bet you guys had a great time and I just wish I could have been there to watch you in action.

Matey, I can't quite talk or express myself the way you do (old age and that sort of stuff), but I got to say that the signwriting on the side of your car is 'pimping' - is that expression right ? It looks even better than the stuff you've got on the front screen !:D Best Regards, Styria

B13

Jeez I hope all that smoke is from the tyres and not the valve stems!

Just need to push that corner a fraction harder Cam and you'll have that inside front wheel in the air a-la 1960s Lotus-Cortina style.

Bring on Winton! Who's coming to see the Holden vs. Ford vs. Mazda vs. Mercedes challenge? :)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Yep.. all rubber!

Valve stem seals dropped some smoke at the top of the hill on backing off the accelerator. I wasn't sure if this was rings or VSS previously but oscar confirmed this is the same as he's experienced and is vss.

With improved springs / shocks AND an LSD. There's no reason I can't push 54's or lower @ the hillclimb.

Can't wait for winton!!! :D

B13

Jeez just as well you didn't try the 280 diff with single spinner...

Seems like the 3.07 is about as low as you want to go without an LSD...

Looks like these beasts are going to eat through those yokohama tyres at a staggering rate... lucky we have heaps of them...

I.

oscar

It'll be good to get second opinions after viewing the vid re VSS smoke. Definitely occuring only during overrun at the top of the hill towards the drop and during the drop down. All blue, all overrun. Even though I'm 100%, it'll be good to get some more feedback.

What I forgot to mention Cam is that I didn't really see any exhaust smoke on the full throttle uphill sprints. That's gotta be a good thing.

Also, yeah all that smoke in the pics is from tyres but gee they must be grippy still. Hopefully the vid will show the driver's side tyre skipping post finish. I'd imagine normal road tyres would just simply slide. You'll see what I mean when the vid's posted.

B13

Also, yeah all that smoke in the pics is from tyres but gee they must be grippy still.

With all respect to Cam, they're not being driven right, the key with R-spec tyres is to get them to the adhesion limits without needless wheelspin. I know Cam is trying hard as hell to do this, and this is his 1st outing with those tyres, but big increases in pace (ie. lower times) will be achieved when the LSD or a locker is fitted. At the mo the torque just lifts the inside rear tyre and smokes it coming out of any corner. Its not the best way, but given the current limitations of the car its the best Cam can do. And he learns more and more every event.

Good work young lad.

Ian.

oscar

Oh yeah, the LSD was much talked about and apart from Cam's experience increasing with every run, we can only imagine that when the anticipated LSD goes in, the car's not going to bog down with the power escaping thru one rear wheel and smoke. One less limitation to worry about. I'm looking forward to seeing the runs with the LSD.

Here's one of my vids. It's of the third run. Watching the vid now and knowing what the course looks like I'm amazed more people don't careen out of control down the hill.

Sorry no sound, my puter wont accept my sound port/plug thingy:mad: so I dubbed the Faszination song:cool:

-bb-

Noble
Thats the run where he had my camera in the car... in the hi tech mount... jammed in between the passenger seat and headrest :D

Its actually quite interesting seeing the same run from both perspectives. Thanks for posting that Simon.

oscar

It was too. I forgot.

I think next time we go for more multicamera footage spliced together; a track cam, instrument cluster cam and a sacraficial camera under the front bumper:D all viewed together.

-bb-

Noble
Bumper cam eh ?... let me think about that one ;)

It might not be as crazy as it sounds... rigging up some sort of camera to the front of the car. Failing that, some way to mount a video camera to look out the windscreen would be a great view also.

Last edited:
OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

With all respect to Cam, they're not being driven right, the key with R-spec tyres is to get them to the adhesion limits without needless wheelspin. I know Cam is trying hard as hell to do this, and this is his 1st outing with those tyres, but big increases in pace (ie. lower times) will be achieved when the LSD or a locker is fitted. At the mo the torque just lifts the inside rear tyre and smokes it coming out of any corner. Its not the best way, but given the current limitations of the car its the best Cam can do. And he learns more and more every event.

Good work young lad.

Ian.

Cheers mate!! ;)

I know exactly what you mean. The issue with the hillclimb track is the off camber corners where there's bumps or drop off's.
Diff is the main issue to be addressed, as well as better rear suspension, which you're already onto. :cool:

Nice work on the vid Oscar!! Great song selection. :D :cool:

The track has it's fair share of victims at the bottom corner....including me at 1 point. Everyone tries to 'out-brake' themselves now and again. You never do it twice though. :eek:

I'm uploading bb's vids now, will post shortly.

Cam. :)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

-bb-

Noble
thanks again to BB's fine camera skills and great production!! ;)

Wouldnt go that far :rolleyes:

Anyway, great job mate. The spin out on run 4, the cheer from the audiance and their idea of cleaning the track afterwards still cracks me up :)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Nice work Cam. Real nice work. :D:D:D:D
Winder if we can coax Styria down there with his GB?
Regards,
BenzBoy

Cheers mate! ;)

Whadya reckon Styria?? :p

True thate brendon, the clean up's funny as buggery!! :D