Team116 #2 cronicle 28th/29th June 2008: Sports Gauges

More threads by B13

B13

For a project which adds absolutely no performance to the car whatsoever (just allows you to see whats going on), there is a major MAJOR amount of work needed to set these pesky things up. Alot of it due to the design of the W116 itself. Lets just say this is a one-off, and anyone contemplating the same upgrade should save themselves the headaches below and install them in the cabin like a normal hoon.

1. The W116 scuttle panel doesn't lend itself to mounting external gauges. Ideally you want them directly in front of the instrument cluster which would mount two on the chrome trim covering the wiper motor.

To achieve this:

pictureorvideo1072hd3.jpg

I had to make this:

pictureorvideo1042at3.jpg

(on another angle):

pictureorvideo1041ii4.jpg

It doesn't look straight but its straight relative to the driver, and the reason it looks crooked is due to the curvature in the scuttle area.

Here's a shot with the cup-straps on:

pictureorvideo1069wq3.jpg

I chose VAC (because as a born tuner, I like vacuum gauges), Oil Temp, and Fuel Pressure. ALL race cars should have a fuel pressure gauge, even if you omit everything else. The strong Aussie dollar meant that I was able to buy these expensive AutoMeter Sport-Comps from a stockist in the USA, including freight for $200 less than it would cost to buy locally. In addition to the three gauges, I also needed 3 chrome gauge cups and a braided fuel hose.

Gauges mounted:

pictureorvideo1075xb4.jpg

and wired up:

pictureorvideo1074qf8.jpg

At this point we're only about 1/2 way. To install the oil temp sensor, you need to remove the lower sump. I did that previously and installed the temp sensor at the time, however if you were installing the sensor its a disgusting job which requires an expensive sump gasket, new oil, mess everywhere.

To install the fuel pressure gauge I needed a brass T-piece to put in the fuel line, but the rest of the hardware comes with the A-M fuel hose kit. Don't forget the teflon tape. I did, because I'd mislaid my teflon tape and the thing leaked, so I had to stop being lazy and go buy some.

The Vac gauge I just piped it directly into the hose coming from the intake manifold that normally operates the central locking/heater. Since I don't care for either it worked fine.

2. NOW THE BIG DRAMA... one the guages are in place you can't open the bonnet! Thats because the trailing edge of the bonnet enters the area which the gauges now inhabit! I thought for a while and the only solution which had any merit (to me) was to cut a gap in the trailing edge of the bonnet to clear the gauges when the bonnet it open.

The ploy works:

pictureorvideo1078de2.jpg

But admittedly this solution isn't for everyone, and naturally this car lives in a garage and is not exposed to the elements often.

Finished job and the race car taking shape:

pictureorvideo1077hs9.jpg

Do they work? Oh yes... here's the video... its only short because no sooner had I started the engine that my camera ran out of memory, but you get the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUG24xvYiBQ

You see the fuel pressure rise when you hear the D-jet fuel pump prime, and when the engine start the vacuums reaches 17 inches when the car is fully warmed up and idling in Reverse or Drive. Oil temp there's not much to see as yet. My car is fitted with the oil cooler and since its working properly, the oil temp for normal Melbourne winter driving it probably sits around 65C. Since the oil temp gauge starts at 60C I've bearly seen it move. It will be a different case racing in summer on a 35 degree day.

Any questions (other than costs), I'm all ears and more than willing to answer.

I.

oscar

NOW THE BIG DRAMA... one the guages are in place you can't open the bonnet!
I.

Oh! Didn't see that coming. That's a bummer.

Looks like a hell of a lot of work but it's paid off. Loved seeing the gauges come to life. I think they look great.

If the hole really bothered you you could always turn that cutout piece into a removable flap or better still, cut another similar sized hole on the other side and make up some louvres. You got yourself twin engine bay vents then:cool: Not such a bad idea me thinks.

OP
B

B13

They performed flawlessly on the way to work and got all the usual looks. The car's taking shape with its decals and other accessories, no mistaking it for a club car now.

UPDATE:

Fuel pressure in normal driving sits at around 32 PSI, holds pessure in the line at ~25PSI for up to an hour after switching off the engine. Its a good way to know the system is holding pressure without sitting for ages observing all these hose connections. I found it was losing pressure within 5 minutes of being switched off and located a slightly loose hose clamp on #3 injector.

Haynes manual says the operating pressure for the system is 74-83PSI however elsewhere (can't remember where now) I read the pressure at the injectors is more like 28PSI. All I can say is the car runs fine at 28PSI so if its a problem then I'm not seeing it.

Since no one else I know has a fuel pressure gauge in a W116 I don't know what I'm supposed to compare it to...

Engine vacuums were reported erroneously last night. It pulls 17 inches at idle in Park, and 13 inches at idle in reverse or drive. Vacuum drops to zero (as you would expect) at anything more than 1/3 throttle application, but cruising at and constant speed over 60km/hr it pulls 16 inches or more.

For those of you unaware, a vac gauge is also known as an economy gague. If i had a W126 (or had installed an R107 (1981-1989) instrument cluster in my W116) then I wouldn't need the Vac guage, since those cars already have one. Having never driven one of those cars I'm unsure whether the MB econ gauge is as responsive and detailed at the A-M one.

Thanks to the buys who hosted the pictures for me.

Ian.

SELfor50

Whitey's definitely looking the bizzo now my friend!! Those chrome cups are sweet as bro!! I'll be you were parched after the day's work, in need of a bucket of water and a hose.. :D

Interesting about the fuel pressure, I think it's something i'll def look at down the 'line'.

How hard was the bonnet cutting?? And what was your method?

Cam. :)

oscar

Haynes manual says the operating pressure for the system is 74-83PSI however elsewhere (can't remember where now) I read the pressure at the injectors is more like 28PSI. All I can say is the car runs fine at 28PSI so if its a problem then I'm not seeing it.

The workshop manual says 2.0 bar +/- 0.1 bar = 29psi. So if anything, there's a tad too much ie 0.2bar over. Bugger all difference and if anything, will side in favour of race conditions.

What you need to check is the delivery rate. This could be the answer to your high rev misfire. I haven't done this before so I'll just post the pages out of the manual. Make sure you realease the pressure beforehand.

Actually, the pics have to be big to read, I'll email them to you.

OP
B

B13

Thanks for the email - got it. Looks like I have a task ahead of me next weekend.

Looks like the fuel pump pushes out around 80 PSI and the fuel dampers regulate that pressure down to 28PSI in the fuel rail by diverting excess pressure and volume back to the petrol tank.

Before doing the test though I can think of an even easier test which is just drive the thing in 1st to over 5000 revs and see if the fuel pressure drops off at the same time as the misfiring occurs. The rationale being that if the fuel pressure drops much below 28PSI then the injectors ability to atomise the fuel on ejection will be compromised.... why didn't I try that on the way to work???

Here's another interesting thought, since D-jet measures manifold vacuum to determine how much petrol to inject, it seems logical to me that any time vac drops to zero inches (ie. when the accelerator is open a 1/3 or more) its injecting the maximum amount of petrol the injector is capable of. ? At times the vac reading is higher 10-17 inches, then the system is told to inject less petrol.

I.

oscar

Before doing the test though I can think of an even easier test which is just drive the thing in 1st to over 5000 revs and see if the fuel pressure drops off at the same time as the misfiring occurs. The rationale being that if the fuel pressure drops much below 28PSI then the injectors ability to atomise the fuel on ejection will be compromised....
Can't argue against that. If the pressure doesn't drop, I can't see why the potential volume delivery would change or the injectors be starved.

Although, keeping in mind that the recommended tolerances are small and the pressure's supposed to be 2.0 +/- 0.1 bar, which means your lowest limit should be no less than 27.5PSI. Makes you wonder if a small drop to 26psi for example would lead to misfiring. I dunno. We'll soon find out.

Personally I hope it drops and it's just a clogged fuel filter, even if recently replaced, the recent TLC and new lease of life for whitey has been given might see a few dregs in the system. Not wishing bad luck on you, just want to see something simple causing the problem.

Here's another interesting thought, since D-jet measures manifold vacuum to determine how much petrol to inject, it seems logical to me that any time vac drops to zero inches (ie. when the accelerator is open a 1/3 or more) its injecting the maximum amount of petrol the injector is capable of. ? At times the vac reading is higher 10-17 inches, then the system is told to inject less petrol.

True too I think. When vac is 0 the MPS' diaphragm and aneroid cells are expanded to the max and the ECU creates the longest pulse width it can for the injectors. Although the TPS helps provide enrichment on the way to WOT, I don't know if the enrichment is any greater than what the MPS can supply. AFAIK, the TPS helps the engine get that extra dose of fuel without having to wait for vac changes to affect the MPS.

Second statement is definitely true. Smaller pulse width the higher the vac. All MPS, nothing to do with TPS.

SELfor50

So glad you lad's are gonna be around on track days from now on.. I can offer absolutely no input on the above discussion regarding pressure / vac / figures / mechanics, i got no idea..... :( Sorry lad's, you've lost me.

oscar

LOL, I'm going to have to bring me manuals with me.
I thought I better not CC the email to you as well because it was all d-jet related. Didn't think you'd want to be deluged with unfamiliar how-to's on stuff you haven't got.

OP
B

B13

Sorry lad's, you've lost me.

Its all about the right amount of petrol being in the cylinders at the right time, brotha.

I.

SELfor50

:)

All good mate, it's not just the d-jet related stuff - purelly just a level of mechanics that I got no idea about! If I can see a part and it needs changing - i'm sweet. Anything more than that and i'll probably break it trying to fix it.

But like I said, glad you guys are around! ;)