Discuss.

Picture%20or%20Video%20855%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

Ian.

SELfor50

Nice one brother!!

They look sweet.

1. What's the spring rate?
2. How much were they?
3. Did you only get 1 set for the front, or did you get rear as well?

Cam.

OP
B

B13

Thems actually the rears. $170/pr

They don't seem to make a front spring. As we can see from your videos and pictures the front end of these cars is (believe it or not) remarkably well behaved, but that back needs to be tamed!

Pedders rear spring kit serves a number of markets (motorsports NOT being one of them.)

* W116 owners who are sick of repairing the SLS setup
* Dual fuel non-SLS cars which sag due to additional weight of the gas apparatus in the back
* Non-SLS cars involved in towing heavy loads (horse floats, car trailers, large caravans) to prevent the rear from extreme sag

Given their low cost (costs more to have them fitted than to actually purchase the coils) I think with a modification they'll make neat lowered rear coils which will try to keep the rear end and centre-of-gravity firmly down low.

Spring rate: TBA.

I.

SELfor50

Now that you mention it, I guess the front is pretty well behaved. Back definately needs taming - but for direction i'll opt with doing the front first...

More than likely i'll just go the pedders action for the rear. With the heavy duty re-built shocks.

You fitting the springs yourself, or you're not willing to die yet?!

OP
B

B13

Reckon I'll want to kill myself trying to fit these suckers?

SELfor50

Wait till after winton ay.. I still need some tips bout the track off ya. ;)

oscar

What you gonna use to fit them? Just wondering whether you'd seen that vid on using Klann spring compressors? The springs off the yellow 280 I simply undid stuff till they fell out, rears and front. The claw external type compressors were a waste of money. The klann stuff is expensive but geez, maybe we should start a tool pool. The ease with which these things work are worth it. check this - http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=3614495583838776006&q=klann&total=45&start=0&num=100&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

OP
B

B13

Nah I'm talking thru my a$$. I'm lining up the local merc place to put in the springs, shockers and diff all at once for one fee. since one of the jobs is to take the calipers off the discs I'll get him to put in the QFM pads at the same time. Instant drive-in-drive-out rear suspension upgrade.. :) With none of the bad language or skinned knuckles.

I.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Oscar and all you racing guys, thanks for the video on the Klann spring compressors - it certainly makes light of what could be quite a nasty job. I do however query one aspect in this video that doesn't seem to tally up. It relates to the springs themselves.

The coils appear to be quite widely spaced, thus enabling the insertion of the top plate of the spring compressor and as can be quite clearly seen, the car itself is not a w116. It seems to me that the front coils on our cars are much more tightly wound and it may well be impossible to insert the plate between the coils. Or maybe with the car on a hoist and perhaps the shock absorber disconnected, would this open up the coils ?

What about the rear springs ? Same set-up ?

BTW, part of all the parts bought by Jammer off Crayford included a set of front and rear springs. If I remember correctly, someone at some stage expressed an interest in getting hold of those. As far as I am concerned, they are free to a good, or needy home. I believe that bb will be coming up from Canberra for the Show and Shine this Sunday - I could bring the springs along on the day.

You guys are going great guns with your racing efforts - congratulations on perservering with would be a time consuming as well as fairly costly exercise. Regards Styria

SELfor50

Styria,
If no-one else has put their hand up, i'd be interested in these springs!

Only really need them to send them off and get some firmer springs made.
After that, I can pass them back if you need.

Ian, you're not gonna be doing this work yourself?!? Spoonfull of cement!! :p

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam2, well they are yours to keep. Question now is how to get them to you ? Do you know if bb is bringing his 6.9 up to Sydney for the Show and Shine at Canada Bay this Sunday ? If so, I'll bring them along. Regards Styria

-bb-

Noble
I will be there on Sunday. The problem is that I am not driving the car back to Canberra afterwards; I am taking it to Newcastle, leaving it there and riding back on 2 wheels.

SELfor50

Hi Cam2, well they are yours to keep. Question now is how to get them to you ? Do you know if bb is bringing his 6.9 up to Sydney for the Show and Shine at Canada Bay this Sunday ? If so, I'll bring them along. Regards Styria

Cheers mate, that's awesome!!

No stress BB, i'll sort something out. I should be in sydney in the coming weeks.

After a phone call today there's a possibility I won't need the springs afterall, will post after confirmation.

Cam2. :)

SELfor50

Cheers mate, that's awesome!!

No stress BB, i'll sort something out. I should be in sydney in the coming weeks.

After a phone call today there's a possibility I won't need the springs afterall, will post after confirmation.

Cam2. :)

Ok... so I will need those springs after all Styria. :)

MB spares thought they had found a set of race prepped 116 springs for King springs to copy, but they were W111 springs. :(
So i'll need to grab those springs to send to king for reference. Once i'm finished I can pass them back to you.

I'll be in contact, but more than likely i'll be up in sydney around the 18th / 19th of April to catch up. Will speak then mate.

Cam2.

Sorry for the hijack Mav.