Team116 #2 cronicle 14th/15th June 2008: bonnet pins

More threads by B13

B13

Ok so I've done some more work today, and the amount of time spent doesn't seem to properly equate to the amount of work done, but this is mainly due to the cold melbourne weather, meaning things took ages to dry (water, paint, cleaning solutions etc.)

In no particular order:

Fix seatbelt problem (was twisting inside the B-pillar)
Install tow hooks (FIA approved hooks but not as good as the original MB ones)
Install bonnet pins (see pics, below)
Removed A/C radiator and drier
Remove water and oil radiator, flushed out cleaned and painted them
Installed harness eye-bolts
Removed more carpet and other useless sound deadening stuff from the cabin
painted rear valance panel white

Tomorrow: front suspension... bring on the Klann!

Pics of the bonnet pins:

HPIM1120%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

HPIM1121%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

HPIM1122%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

HPIM1123%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

I.

oscar

That's fantastic Ian. i know exactly what to do now. I'm a bit surprised at how thick those bolts are but they look perfect.

I know you said your paint is so,so but geez I wish I could get povo's bonnet to look that good. More on that later, gotta go for now. I'll chase these bonnet clips up soon. BTW, do you race in a racesuit? Been checking them out on ebay too.

OP
B

B13

Anyone tried these? The price is certainly right...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hood-Pin-TC-XB-Corolla-Camry-RAV4-Accord-Civic-RSX-TSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42611QQihZ021QQitemZ310058997232QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

On a more serious note, I suppose I should be wearing a race suit, but at this stage still don't... I reckon some of those kart drivers suits are pretty good looking and don't cost the earth. Being slightly unfit (a bit fat) I don't want to risk buying something off eBay in case it doesn't fit...

I.

SELfor50

Lookin' good Ian! Gonna have to get some bonnet pins...

What colour did you paint the rad?

As for the race suit, just get the mrs onto the sewing machine... ;)

Des

Coming along well Ian, question I had, do you wire up any switches to the fuel pump, batterly, igntion etc... in your race cars?
Is it a requirement to have anything like this to race?

I'd imagine as a safety issue a switch to cut off the rear fuel pump could/would be a good idea?

Regards
Des

OP
B

B13

I'll be doing that eventually Des. Its not a requirement but common sense makes most people put proper switch panels and kill switches in. Already have the kill switch there, will be doing it at the same time as the battery relocation.

I'm anxious to get the thing out on the track so I'm concentrating on getting those things important to a 1st test run completed.

Like the window net which nearly got done today but I need to go to boltmasters for the proper fasteners.

I.

oscar

Wow, those tow hooks. I decided not to put the AMG spoiler on because the OEM hook is obscured and getting to it would mean breaking the spoiler and I don't fancy one of those AMG extensions specifically for the spoiler. If something like what you got there Ian will do, maybe the spoiler is back on the agenda. Like I've said, if I can't race for smeg, povo will at least look the part:D

SELfor50

How's the switch box going dude??

The tow hooks look the goods, is this something i'm gonna have to do or more so just one of the 'nice to have' things?

.....on a side note - the BC is all go prior to Sandown! ;)

OP
B

B13

The tow hooks is not something you need to worry about. Handy to have, but not an absolute requirement.

In constrast to you guys I'm building mine based on CAMS race car requirements, as opposed to what they require for sprint cars. Eventually mine should be what is known as a "sports sedan"... not unlike GrantV's finny.

I.

oscar

Does that mean roll cage too eventually? I had a look at some definitions for classes on the SDMA hillclimb site. I think I'll turn up and ask them to tick the relevant boxes. LOL, Was all a bit confusing. There's a lot to take onboard. Anyway, it's looking great.

BTW, I was away for work yesterday and will be getting the rad rubbers off to you today.

SELfor50

The tow hooks is not something you need to worry about. Handy to have, but not an absolute requirement.

In constrast to you guys I'm building mine based on CAMS race car requirements, as opposed to what they require for sprint cars. Eventually mine should be what is known as a "sports sedan"... not unlike GrantV's finny.

I.

:cool:

So more so aiming for the scruitneers tick? Cause I get the feeling I might be pushing the limit with the scruitneers by a few pending upgrades in the coming weeks... :confused: can you flick me an e-mail to confirm this? Eg.. clearance etc.