Team116 #2 cronicle 26th Jan 2000: sports racing seats

More threads by B13

B13

To fit non-MB seats to a W116 you need to make up some adaptors which will fit the original W116 runner assemblies to the aftermarket seats:

Picture%20or%20Video%20813%20Large%20Web%20view.jpg

To do this use 20mm RHS welded into a lattice as shown below:

Picture%20or%20Video%201357%20Standard%20e-mail%20view.jpg

You then bolt these to the bottoms of the new seats and then to the original MB runners.

Here are some pictures of the completed project:

Picture%20or%20Video%201573%20Standard%20e-mail%20view.jpg

Picture%20or%20Video%201575%20Standard%20e-mail%20view.jpg

Yes, thats a W116 450SE with fixed-back sports racing seats fitted.

I.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Looks very impressive Ian,

You still have forward and backward control, but do you have up and down ?

OP
B

B13

You still have forward and backward control, but do you have up and down ?

Passenger side as fore-and-aft only, thats what the car came with. The drivers side as both fore-and-aft and up-and-down and I've been able to use that on the sports seats.

A few notes:

1. the drivers-side assembly is very complicated and heavy - esp. compared to the passenger side one. Too complicated in my mind - if I were to do it again I'd use the passenger side one on the drivers side.

2. The base bolt patterns are the same on the left and right seats, as well as on the floor, making substitution of the passenger side runner assembly a peice of cake.

3. The OBX seats I am using weigh in at 6.5kg, whereas the MB seats they replace weigh about 15kg.

I.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Passenger side as fore-and-aft only, thats what the car came with. The drivers side as both fore-and-aft and up-and-down and I've been able to use that on the sports seats.
A few notes:
1. the drivers-side assembly is very complicated and heavy - esp. compared to the passenger side one. Too complicated in my mind - if I were to do it again I'd use the passenger side one on the drivers side.
2. The base bolt patterns are the same on the left and right seats, as well as on the floor, making substitution of the passenger side runner assembly a peice of cake.
3. The OBX seats I am using weigh in at 6.5kg, whereas the MB seats they replace weigh about 15kg.
I.

15kg each seat, right?

OP
B

B13

Haven't weighed them yet - its a guestimate at this stage.

Also need to weigh the passenger side vs. drivers side seat runners.

One thing is for sure, the car sure feels great around corners with that seat and harness doing its job.

I.