Team116#2 chronicle 24May08: 02010 H is born

More threads by B13

B13

Finally things are moving forward. Roadworthy cert was passed on Thursday, and Friday I fronted up to VicRoads to register "Whitey" (as its been known, which is why Povo wasn't called Whitey) with conditional registration "Club Permit Scheme" its also known as.

Thus born is 02010 H

Picture%20or%20Video%201000%20Quick%20e-mail%20view.jpg

So now its Business Time, just not this sort of business: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN0oDnoc3-c

Since Whitey (or Team116#2 or 02010H) is registered as a 2-seater vehicle now its time to put it on a serious weight-loss plan which started with all the useless crap and wiring in the rear passenger area:

Picture%20or%20Video%201004%20Quick%20e-mail%20view.jpg

Including the rear seat (not pictured) there's probably 30kg of crap removed from the car, from the front I removed some clarion speakers and a Becker radio/cassette dated 1990.. if anyone wants any of the sh!t pictured let me know by this time tomorrow otherwise it goes in my rubbish skip at work 1st thing Monday morning...

Picture%20or%20Video%201003%20Quick%20e-mail%20view.jpg

More tomorrow... should get a whole 6 hours to work on it tomoz...

I.

Last edited:

oscar

"Oh yeah" Wednesday's "comedy on ABC night" round these parts.:D, no business time.

Looking good! With decent time tomorrow I can picture a lean machine. it's so quick to take stuff out, especailly if you don't need it again. That first aid box holder is a prick to remove isn't it.

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask. How much of the interior needs to be intact for a roadworthy? Moreso, what about for the track?

For NSW I've known people with old Holdens were knocked back for petty stuff like ripped vinyl in seats and recently the 350, I was told I needed to fix the slack in the driver's forward and rearward adjustment which 'povo' has too. Not sure whether povo will be road registered again but are there requirements for the track to keep door cards on, two front seats, interior trim, headlining, that sort of thing? Ideally I'd love to strip as much as possible including cutting holes without being ruled unsafe for racing during scrutineering.

I'll be watching carefully what you take out (to see if I can better it without the car falling to bits:p) It would be great to see more parts weighed. How much was the fuel tank again?? I can't remember, I'll check. The york air con weighs a bit too on povo. Pity I don't know anyone with a weighbridge to get a before and after reading.

Des

I wonder if it would be possible to cut a circular hole in each headlight wiper panel and have some cold air intake happening?

How serious can you go for weight shedding for racing?

rip the bumper rubbers off and just paint them on black?

I imagine the seats in these things weight a tonne

drill holes in the panels inside to shed weight,
have seen some race cars even with holes drilled in the chassis to cut down weight.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
On what basis is it on conditional registration "Club Permit Scheme" ?

Is it a 'club' car? or racing permit?

What limitations do you have?

OP
B

B13

Rather than re-invent the wheel I'll just point you to VicRoads web site on the topic, since its their idea....

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/Permits/ClubPermits.htm

Now that you've read all that, you'll notice there's a lot of room for interpretation on what is and isn't permissable. I've had no problems with my previous club plated RX4 being used for the following:

* Drives to and from race-tracks
* Drives to and from repairers to have work done on the car
* Drives to and from the petrol station
* Drives to and from FFCC monthly meeting

I've had long debates on ausrotary.com and w116.orgy about the different conditional registration systems for the various states and what is and isn't allowed, and basically its up to each individual to ascertain whether conditional registration is suitable for them or not.

Oh and to answer your question:

Is it a 'club' car? or racing permit?

Well its a club car... but since our car club, FFCC, is a racing club, then naturally all the cars on the Club Permit scheme are highly modified basically road-drivable race cars..

Everyone elses questions I'll answer tomorrow. I'm tired.

I.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi B13, can I put my hand up for the Cassette Radio, speakers and first aid box. Please let me know how much and I'll get it organized for you. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Rather than re-invent the wheel I'll just point you to VicRoads web site on the topic, since its their idea....
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/Permits/ClubPermits.htm
Now that you've read all that, you'll notice there's a lot of room for interpretation on what is and isn't permissable. I've had no problems with my previous club plated RX4 being used for the following:
* Drives to and from race-tracks
* Drives to and from repairers to have work done on the car
* Drives to and from the petrol station
* Drives to and from FFCC monthly meeting
I've had long debates on ausrotary.com and w116.orgy about the different conditional registration systems for the various states and what is and isn't allowed, and basically its up to each individual to ascertain whether conditional registration is suitable for them or not.

Oh and to answer your question:

Well its a club car... but since our car club, FFCC, is a racing club, then naturally all the cars on the Club Permit scheme are highly modified basically road-drivable race cars..
I.

Thanks for the info Ian,
I wonder if NSW has the same set-up.
I know there's a Club permit scheeme, but I don't know if it relates to 'racing' vehicles too..

Must check..:D

Des

Thanks for the info Ian,
I wonder if NSW has the same set-up.
I know there's a Club permit scheeme, but I don't know if it relates to 'racing' vehicles too..

Must check..:D

Imagine they would, mate of mine here in Tassie has a Mazda RX2 I think it is all done up for racing and it is on the club racing rego.

SELfor50

Ian mate, you'll have to give me a quick rundown on removing the back seat, 'back'.
The bench was easy, haven't really looked at the rest as I couldn't see an easy way to do it and haven't had the time to attack the job.

oscar

You'll be surprised how easy the back part is. There's two tags, one at each bottom corner with bolts going into the c-pillars and one more tag under the centre armrest whos bolt goes into the fueltank petition. Remove them and knock/bump/slide the backrest up towards the rear windscreen. Done

OP
B

B13

Its actually harder to get out the rear seatbelts or firstaid kit holder box than it is to remove the rear seat.

I wonder if it would be possible to cut a circular hole in each headlight wiper panel and have some cold air intake happening?

How serious can you go for weight shedding for racing?

rip the bumper rubbers off and just paint them on black?

Yes on Cam's car he's got the old air flowing in under the headlights into a twin snorkel air cleaner.

Picture%20or%20Video%20869%20Standard%20e-mail%20view.jpg

Since I only have the 1 snorkel I've just done that to one side and let the other be standard.

On any car I've built its main weight reduction has been due to removing useless items. This includes carpets, interior trims, seats, radio, speakers, door trims, stuff in the boot etc. On a Mazda theres only so far you can go because most of the stuff inside it is fairly lightweight... Still on my RX4 I removed the entire heater assembly, including controls, rods, demister..

Most of my efforts end up with me just removing stuff and putting in the most powerful engine I can afford, and end up looking like this:

sandown06.jpg

It dosn't look particularly fast but it can keep up with cars 400kg lighter (Mazda MX-5) because the power output is so much higher than a 4-cyl sports car.

I

SELfor50

You'll be surprised how easy the back part is. There's two tags, one at each bottom corner with bolts going into the c-pillars and one more tag under the centre armrest whos bolt goes into the fueltank petition. Remove them and knock/bump/slide the backrest up towards the rear windscreen. Done

Word.... the medi kit box and parcel shelf already got practise with on ol' smokey. .....which reminds me, gotta mail craigs that parcel shelf.. :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Ditto - I guess the two threads should really be combined, but it's not really big enough to worry. Regards Styria