Finally did some needed work on the 6.9!!

More threads by Bandolero

Bandolero

Finally, finally, finally I did some much needed work on my car.
Things that needed doing.

1, New indicator stalk as I had to pull back hard on the old one to flash the headlights.

2, New ignition switch as I only had to touch the key and it would switch off....worn out.

3, New interior light delay relay as sometimes the old one would make the light stay on.

4, Replace the Burl dash bits with the reconditioned one I had. I had already replaced the glovebox one (easy). I had also replaced the LH small bit between the glovebox and door (harder!!). So I only had to replace the large one that looked like it would be a pig of a job!!

The battery was disconnected at 10am and I finished at 2pm. (Even stopping for lunch.) It was easier than I thought.

First the steering wheel came off and I then took the instrument cluster out. Easy to do as I've done that before.

I tackled the ignition switch first as I knew it would be a sh#t of a job.
Took the two easiest screws out but that last one is a bitch!
I checked out how to take out the whole lock and thought I would forget that one as it was all too hard.
I finally got it out with a long screwdriver and much swearing. I replaced them with phillips heads as it would be much easier to do up tight in the confined space.

Next was the light delay which was easy and then the indicator stalk which was ok to do as well.

The burl was next!!!!
The screw next to the glovebox was easy, so were the three that you get to through the "instrument hole".
The last one is 2cm in from the edge on the RHS. (RHD models.)
I finally got that one through the instrument hole as well by removing the hose to the vent and doing it by feel. ☺
It all went together fast as I've had the panels below the steering wheel off a few times before.

The aftermarket indicator stalk I bought off eBay from www.4mercs.co.nz
http://www.4mercs.co.nz/products/view/3923
I bought it for about AU$140 and it works well and looks great.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bandolero

I bought a good second hand glovebox from the wreckers a while ago and put the recon burl onto that one, so my glovebox is not too bad.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice to hear from you Bandy

Good to hear you've been productive ;)

Why did you use an after market stork?
I would have thought a good used original would have been cheaper to find.

OP
B

Bandolero

Well, the aftermaket one is just like the original and also made in Germany by Vemo.de
The ones from the wreckers have their lettering worn off, whereas the new one, well, looks new!! It's great!! :D :D

I hope I don't run off the road looking at my new stalk!!!...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Just had a look on the 4Mercs website.

Quite an authentic looking stork.

Congratulations.

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
There's nothing more satisfying than replacing (or fixing) something that's been drving you nuts for ages; well done!! Let it spur you on to even more achievements! Hopefully we'll see Bandolero during the M100 rally next year?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bandy, I reckon you did very well timewise. The timber replacement on the right hand side of the car is only tricky because of the nut in the very right hand corner - obviously removal of the heater/cooling duct makes it possible to reach that nut. One just has to be so careful when removing the ducting from the facia outlet as it can be quite easy to break off the plastic loops that are part of the outlet.

Anyway, it's great to have you contribute this time - it's been a while and I have certainly missed your contributions. Let us know too if, and when, you're going to change over the differential on your 6.9. Regards Styria

OP
B

Bandolero

HA!!!!!
I won't be doing that one myself!!!!:eek: :eek:

I'll let someone else do all the swearing!! Hahaha.

By the way, I didn't have to remove the RH vent, all I did was remove the heater duct and then do it by feel. ;) ;) (If you know what I mean??)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bandy, I knew that you didn't have to remove the heater vent. It is just that the ducting can be very stiff and stubborn to remove from the outlet and, you know, it can require serious pulling to separate the ducting from the outlet. It is at that point of time that one could break the plastic loops that are part of the outlet body. Yep, I guess the diff wouldn't be all that easy - but then again, what is ? As you said, let someone else do the hard slog. Regards Styria

OP
B

Bandolero

Yes, you're right about the plastic loops. The LH vent had both of them broken, so I repaired and strengthened them so that they won't break again!!!:)