Mercules Rogue Nissan Skyline Thread

More threads by Mercules

-bb-

Noble
Easy, all he will have to do is spool it up, make a tyre frying smokescreen and escape using the ample speed 12 pounds of boost will provide. Mr plod wont know where he went. :D

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Car hit the dyno rollers last weekend - extremely happy with the results.... Bearing in mind that my 450SEL made 157 horsepower, the Skyline is making 261 horsepower (194.7kw x 1.34) on only 10 pounds of boost :)

dyno1.png

dyno2.png

As you may well imagine, this car absolutely hauls and the engine has the potential to make up to 300kw (402hp) without opening the engine up... bigger turbo, injectors and aftermarket ECU should see more action!

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Fantastic stuff. Next time I'm in Sydney, you have got to take me for a drive in it.

Indeed - mini spool was ordered tonight so we will now have (some) traction. Was doing lots of "1"s before... soon to be doing "11"s

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mercules, the mind boggles with reading horsepower figures like that. Would that be power at the back wheels ? Seeing what has been achieved thus far, what is the next modification you have lined up for the car ? I mean, is there anything else , or any other modification, that you could implement ?

Wonder if you could also explain and elaborate on the various graph lines ? I don't quite understand all of them. Congrats on a job well done. Regards, Styria

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
The solid red line shows power before tuning adjustments were made and the solid blue line indicates after tuning

The dotted red line shows boost before - the dotted blue line shows after.

If you look closely, the car is making more power on less boost after tuning adjustments had been made. Yes, the reading indicates rear-wheel kilowatts... a rough conversion sees about 240kw at the flywheel (320 horsepower)

Next modifications will be the mini-spool (locker diff), swaybars, wheels and a brake conversion (R33 Skyline 4 piston calipers on 330mm rotors - i think). Need to bring the handling and stopping in line with the acelleration.

There is heaps more I could do to this thing but as it must remain a daily driver I am not going too far over the top. Boost response is almost instantaneous and its great to drive around the street - bigger turbos will onyl increase lag and make it cranky around town.

Cam

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have owned an '88 Nissan Skyline since 1990, that's 19 years now. It has never been in an accident of any sort, and has no rust anywhere, despite being left out in the weather for about half of this time. The paint is original. It gets clayed and polished every four months; the result is the paint retains it's lustre. The only time it has stopped on the road is when it lost a crank angle sensor, which cost about $150 to fix. Other than that, it has only had standard maintenance, which includes things like cam drive belts every 100,000 K's, brake pads, liquid consumables etc. It has new oil & filter every six months irrespective of the distance driven. I have kept every receipt since I first took ownership of the car. I has by far, been the cheapest car to run and maintain in the past 45 years that I have been driving. Currenty, it's current market value is perhaps $500; it's real value to me is obviously a lot more. ( By the way I also have a 6.9, plated SEL 69L).

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I know for a fact that Styria has driven a Skyline; I didn't hear him complain about it! Incidentally I have a Skyline, too. In fact, I've owned it for 19 years now! I have kept all receipts for it in that time, including all maintenance records. I have been driving for 45 years now and I can say truthfully that the Skyline has been easily the most reliable and cheapest car to maintain that I have ever owned. It has only stopped on the road on me once, when the crank angle sensor failed, about a kilometre from the workshop of the chap who does the servicing. Cost of repairs about $150. The paint is original, there is no rust in it, and it has no accident damage anywhere. The market value? about $500, but it is considerably more to me.

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
New wheels went on today - 16"x7" - but the tyres are a bit shoddy... not bad for $200 really!

Will have some fresh Potenzas 225/50 16s on as soon as I can! Even so, the difference in traction and corering adhesion is astounding - those old wheels were crap.

Mini-spool is in the diff as well - exits from corners very hard now, just does not like turning into them... especially at low speeds! Makes u-turns hard unless you dump the clutch - then they become easy!

P4100249a.png

P4100250a.png

P4100253a.png

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I like the look of those wheels!
They seem to suit the pure lines of the Skyline.
I bet fresh rubber would do wonders to the handling side...

That's one mean mutha... Hehehe

BTW: the Godfather and I are still awaiting the pleasure of your invitation and company on the Dyno :)

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Mini-pool came out last weekend - awesome for skidz and drifting but fail for daily driving...
16x7 wheels with fresh 225/55/16 Sumitomos went on last week...
Front & rear Whiteline swaybars went in yesterday...
Pedders Super Heavy Duty (standard height) springs went in tonight...

Now that the wheels are on I can FINALLY fit te R33 brakes! Looking forward to the next track day!

P4230249a.png

P4230252a.png

Dont worry Michel - dyno day is on the cards as well ;)

Styria

The Godfather
I like the look of those wheels!
They seem to suit the pure lines of the Skyline.
I bet fresh rubber would do wonders to the handling side...

That's one mean mutha... Hehehe

BTW: the Godfather and I are still awaiting the pleasure of your invitation and company on the Dyno :)

The things you do and the progress you're making is nothing short of astounding. What you need now is a respray in 690SEL RED. :D:D You're doing well. Regards Styria (Michael):D

SELfor50

Great work mate!! What's the capacity/size difference between the R31? and R33 Brakes??

That car parking spot looks quite familiar!! I think I remember seeing a canary there in the past... :D

What sort of power do you expect it to pull on the dyno?? Possibly more than a 4.0L EL Falcon engine.......with a turbo?! ;)

Look forward to seeing you at the next track day. I'm aiming for 14th June @ Wakefield if you're up for it. For a small track it's bloody fun and quite technical.

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Standard 22 x 250mm rotor with single pot caliper
P4250249a.png

Bigger is better!
P4250250a.png

New 30 x 296mm rotors with 4 pot calipers
P4250262a.png

As you may imagine, the braking perfomance of this car has gone from average to truely astounding.

Last edited:

SELfor50

So does single pot mean single piston?? and 4 pot is 4 piston calipers?

The rotor difference is MASSIVE!

OP
M

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
pot = piston

Yeah these brakes are phenomenal - the car almost does nose-wheelies under heavy braking! Not quite but I feel much safer fanging around in this car now that the brakes are up to scratch!