Styria's 450se

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
To continue on - installation of the new cams. This work needs a clear head and, perhaps dare I say so, a little bit of 'knowing what you're doing' and how it is best and safely done. The main considerations are twofold, namely:

1. To have the cams in the correct valve timing position as one must not move the cams once the cam towers are bolted down - remember, one needs to avoid valves touching pistons, and when the chain wheels are disconnected from the chain, the pistons don't move, but the camshafts would. Result: Bent valves.

2. One of course needs to turn the shafts at some time - therefore the towers are left quite loose even though all bolts have been fitted. You need to leave enough clearance to turn the shafts without any pressure on the valves.

What I had done was to make a drawing of both camshafts, and depicting the position of each of the sixteen lobes. It's quite easy, because on the right hand cam only one lobe points downwards, whilst on the left cam it is numbers three and six. Observing the lobes, you are assured of correct valve timing because, remember, the crank is at TDC and has not been moved at any time. Care needs to be exercised when tightening the cam towers - always, but always start with the one closest to the lobe pointing downwards. Start tightening that to just a smidgeon, then have the others (bolts for cam towers) catch up with just small pressure, and then back to the first one. If you don't do it that way, there is every chance that you could snap a camshaft or put uneven loads on the camshaft towers.

Well, I guess that's about it for the time being. There will possibly be more to follow. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Fascinating and very educational Godfather!

Thank you.

Indeed Goldie didn't sound very healthy the day your left my workshop last week.

I am glad you saved it in time. ;)

Look forward to seeing it back on the road.:D

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria, I have to take my hat off to you. You dive right into jobs that'd scare off even the most seasoned mechanic! And no sooner have you said it than you've actually done it! Well done; I'm not worthy!!!! :D:D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well Mark, it's like this - necessity is the mother of invention. Mind you, I haven't invented anything in this instance. I get some of my inspirations from Bill (WGB) who really has no right to be as efficient and knowledgeable as far as mechanicals are concerned, and he has been good enough to write a thread for us that is now in the Technical Section and therefore part of our ever improving 'library'.

Getting back to this work, I guess it's hands- on trials and tribulations that teach you the practical side of some of the things I do. With this job, the refitting of the cams with the cam followers in place required feel and some knowledge of course, because it would be quite easy to snap a camshaft if the retightening of the head bolts was carried out indiscriminately. Mind you, if I had a spring compressor as WGB is showing in his Timing Chain thread, I could have fitted the camshafts, turned them any which way without the danger of valves hitting pistons, and then re-installed the followers by compressing the valve springs.

As you know, we own a 5.7 litre Holden Statesman, and quite frankly, I am not really able to maintain it properly in my own right. The trouble is, invariably when I take it to a mechanic, I know more about mechanicals than they do, and also I'd do extras that they wouldn't even consider. Such as letting engine oil drain for a couple of hours before re-filling, also having made sure that the oil is hot and not cold when draining, you know the little touches that, to my mind, show that little bit of extra care.....and that's not easy to come by.

I recall taking the Statesman to a company out west (in Sydney), and their mechanic owns a Statesman, so I figured that he'd know what he was doing, and that also he might care with the influence of the owner of the business who is well known to me. I wanted to have the plate under the engine taken off, degreased, and to trace an oil leak. When I got the car back, and on subsequent examination, that part of the work had not been carried out, and the owner told me that the oil leak came 'from the timing cover', but that it was a bit hard to determine the exact source of the leak. In the end, I never said anything to the guy, but if I had, I would have been the worst in the world. Anyway Mark, thanks for the compliment and encouragement. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have a little bit more news and will also have pictures to follow in due course. After finally hooking up the chain and chain wheels, sliders and guides, on checking the timing marks on the camshaft boss indicated a discrepancy of about 1.0 millimeter which translated to about five degrees on the crankshaftg pulley. If I recall correctly, WGB had mentioned that a maximum of 11 degrees was just acceptable, but the friend that was helping me with the installation of the chain was not entirely happy and wanted to try fitting an off-set key which he had as a spare from his 6.9 days. That key was finally fitted and now the setting is absolutely 100% correct. Illustrations to follow. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's funny how things happen. One item to rear its ugly head was a totally worn out water pump. There was no seal resistance, there was some play in the bearing, yet it had not exhibited any leaks. Nevertheless, I just had to get it off - its condition really bugged me.

In a round about sort of a way, the 117 engine is not as mechanic friendly as the M100 engine on the 6.9s, and removal of the water pump was a case in point. All bolts were frozen quite solidly, and it was really touch and go if any of them would break during attempts to remove them. I was lucky - just got away with it. It is also necessary to remove the Warm-Up Regulator to remove the water pump by-pass hose, so all in all a little on the tricky side. In addition, in order to remove the two lower most bolts, it is necessary to reposition the crankshaft pulley and line up the cut-out one at a time.

I did have a spare water pump which was still attached to the engine block from whence I had salvaged the camshaft and other associated parts. The trouble with that block was that the crank could not be moved on account of major rust in the bores. It just wouldn't budge, and it was a real struggle to gain access to those two lower most bolts. I finished up having to use a crow bar to bend one of the bolts up and over the crankshaft pulley with the pump still attached to the bolt. Frustrating. Anyway, there will be more to talk about. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
As promised, the following two pictures illustrate the precision of the camshaft aligning marks...

MechanicalKnowHow1032.jpg

MechanicalKnowHow1033.jpg

Another picture demonstrate the sorry state of affairs of the old water pump. As I said, it never leaked, nor did the engine run hot. The impeller has just about rotted away.....

MechanicalKnowHow1030.jpg

There is a bit of other stuff mixed in (oil, petrol), but largely this is water drained from the engine block with the water pump removed.

MechanicalKnowHow1031.jpg

This thing (goldie I am talking about) has probably never had that much attention lavished at - plus money thrown at her ! :D

Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria i was just wondering what has become of your gold 450se now that you have your 420sel w126. as i was enjoying following this thread as the car looked great :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Styria i was just wondering what has become of your gold 450se now that you have your 420sel w126. as i was enjoying following this thread as the car looked great :D

It's waiting for three things to happen Geoff

The Godfather to get better (physically) :cool:
My Bluey to be finished :rolleyes: , and
GB to have it's rear end restored :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel yes we are all waiting for Styria to get better and i hope you are feeling better Styria . I was just wondering were the car was upto at this point in time as i quiet like how this car looks . Geoff :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Michel yes we are all waiting for Styria to get better and i hope you are feeling better Styria . I was just wondering were the car was upto at this point in time as i quiet like how this car looks . Geoff :D

Funny you should ask what it was up to..;)

At least it has good company...

My Bluey and Styria's Goldie have been Parking Pals for a while now.. :eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria any more news on this nice looking car . Geoff:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Funny you should ask what it was up to..;)

At least it has good company...

My Bluey and Styria's Goldie have been Parking Pals for a while now.. :eek:

Almost for a year now....

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's certainly not one of my better efforts, and one I am not particularly proud of. The event of my accidental fall certainly put a big cross against my plans, and work I wanted to carry out. It happened in May, and it is fair to state that I have only reached a 90% healing process by October/November - it has taken all this time. Both my shoulder and hip movement are still greatly restricted - even to this stage, but I am getting there.

The work on Michel's Blue 450 is certainly more extensive that originally envisaged. Changing the complete interior from one car to another is far more than a simple swap - just about nothing seems to fit easily. Hours and hours have been spent trying to fit interior panels neatly anf tidily at somewhat less than even bargain costs, but that's another story. Right now, the intentions are to return the car to Michel by Christmas - no later. There is an electrical problem with the car, and this will require the services of an Auto Electrician. That can be done now, anytime, so that the car becomes mobile again.

Geoff, regarding the 450SE. I have not worked on it for months - again on account of my fall - I smashed both my upper leg and left shoulder. Both areas required pins, screws and plates. The first fourteen days at home were murder, plus a nine day stay in hospital. It is only in the last two weeks that I have virtually suspended use of a walking stick. There is a small problem with the car's engine and/or slight water leak and frankly I just have not had the time to attend to these matters. Yes, the car is looking great, with a beautiful interior and excellent bodywork, and I am busting to get back into it. Patience, unfortunately, needs to be an essential part of life. Will also get details for you on the Gold 6.9 I have on consignment, with a good interior in beige, but also a brand new Black Leather Interior purchased from GAHH at great cost. The owner has storage and financial problems, and the car, as you know, is on the market. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thank you for explianing that Styria . I know you have been recovering from your fall all i really wanted was more photo's posted if there are any . As i really do like how the car looks .Geoff :D As for that slacker Michel come on were are the pic's of your Blue car . PS it takes 1 to know 1 as i am very slack with regards my car :eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, everything is starting to take shape again. As indicated by Michel, I am still in possession of his blue 450SEL, thus taking photographs is not a possibility. One matter I forgot to mention is the amount of frustrating time spent on one of the member's cars rectifying an issue with the front hydro pneumatic suspension.

It will be something I will refer to in a later post in due course. It was indeed the very first time that I had been unable to get a car to rise again to either normal or high level in the front. Luckily I had the help of a good friend and fellow 6.9 owner who put in three days to solve the problem, and after I had spent about three hundred dollars purchasing testing equipment. As I said, more of that later. Regards. Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria do you still have this car .:confused:

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes the posts just stopped.... :(

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
As i have said before car was looking great and i wanted to see what it finished up looking like.:confused: