Styria's 450se

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have come to a bit of a temporary full stop pending some more interior work. I have now fitted the rear parcel shelf with new non-original carpet material. It may not be perfect, but it is acceptable. One job I find very off-putting, not to mention time consuming, is the fitting of the rear speakers. In this instance, I decided to fit really good quality Sony speakers which necessitated drilling new mounting holes and that ain't easy with the rear screen in place, and the sound proofing material gathering itself into knots around the drill bits. Very frustrating.

Anyway, Goldie is taking further shape - she's starting to look better each and every time and you can also see from the accompanying pics that the under bonnet section is starting to bear fruit appearance wise with the work that's been carried out.

My450SEMercedes027.jpg

My450SEMercedes029.jpg

My450SEMercedes028.jpg

Regards Styria

s class

Hi styria,

Yes, your PM did reach me - my response is in progress.....

Your 'goldie' is looking good indeed.

Lukas

Question re spring compressors - depending on the available access to the spring, could you not weld up an I shaped frame where one side of the I compresses the spring as you jack open the other side of the I with a trolley jack or bottle jack?

I'm thinking essentially 3 straight bits of metal, 2 with a hole drilled half way along for a pivot, and the third joining these 2 pivot points.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Question re spring compressors - depending on the available access to the spring, could you not weld up an I shaped frame where one side of the I compresses the spring as you jack open the other side of the I with a trolley jack or bottle jack?

I'm thinking essentially 3 straight bits of metal, 2 with a hole drilled half way along for a pivot, and the third joining these 2 pivot points.

Sorry Lukas, I'm lost ! To be honest though, looking at those springs, I am lost (again !) as to how I could compress them safely. I seem to recall a thread somewhere that dealt with the appropriate spring compressors to be used on the 450s, but I cannot recall where nor who sells them. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a further update on progress, such as it is, on Goldie. Well, at long last, I decided to take the plunge and take her out for a short drive. I mean it had only been driven for about 200 meters at the time of my aquisition of her before I decided to remove the interior and it has basically been in storage, so to speak, ever since.

I reckon I must have clocked up some ten kilometers, but never too far from home and security. How did she go ? Well, surprisingly well considering that many things could have been suspect from a driving point of view. The amount of power available was surprising, and delivered quite smoothly, but I have a gearbox that is not operating or shifting properly, all a result of a faulty valve body. Some eighteen months ago I had removed the valve body and fitted it to a 450SLC, and as I had some spare units it should not have mattered as far as workings were concerned - unfortunately, for various reasons, I mixed and matched and as a result I will have to locate another unit that has not been disturbed (or fiddled with !). The brakes worked very well, the ride comfort and suspension were spot on, but there is a badly worn steering coupling that requires replacement. This of course will mean steering box out - I'll do that at a later stage - when I have more energy.

One facet of the drive that surprised me was the water operating temperature. As you guys know, that seemed to be one area of possible concern, but the needle never moved from the 'normal' position. It remains to be seen if that part turns out okay. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised and suitably impressed, and I actually liked driving the car. Regards Styria

s class

Good to hear it was a positive driving experience.

We all know that changing steering couplings is your favourite..... ;)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Good to hear it was a positive driving experience.

We all know that changing steering couplings is your favourite..... ;)

Ouch S-Class, I felt that blow - right below the belt line. Agreed, it's not the sort of job that turns me on, but I've got it down to a fine art now. To be perfectly frank, the positioning of the coupling on the splined steering box shaft is the time consuming bit - it just needs to be spot on. I really can't understand why there are no markings on the shaft - similar in principle to the marking on the pitman arm. Regards Styria

s class

I meant no meanness by it. Certainly on the V8's access is tricky, so sighting up to ensure that the positioning of the shaft into the coupling at assembly time is tricky. WHen I've done them, I usually have that uncomfortable moment of self-doubt - "am I dure the shaft is correctly into the coupling", together with careful peering into the inaccessible areas with a torch.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Ryan, I know there was no malice in your remark - I guess I can at times be a glutton for punishment. As you, and all others are well aware, I have had my share of problems in fitting up the coupling correctly, but that of course refers to insufficient engagement of the coupling on either the splined end or the shaft end, with the result that on two occasions I had the coupling coming adrift, leaving me with no steering - no, it's been three times. It took me that long to realize what created the problem in the first place. Mind you, a fully qualified MB mechanic fell into the same trap, so I was not alone in that regards.

That situation is now a thing of the past. I carry out a trial fitting of the coupling on the shaft, and mark it with silver paint. That way, I know exactly how far the coupling needs to be pushed up to afford proper and secure engagement. Positioning of the coupling on the spline is another matter however......Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately, when you're putting a car back together, many times you can start duplicating various tasks. For instance, with the valve body in the gearbox, I decided to try another valve body that I had assembled. Thus, when the time came for testing the car, it was excitement station. Gradual filling up showed there was positive engagement of both forward and reverse, so this just had to be right, didn't it ? Especially after I had taken so much care in the valve body assembly. Anyway, I lowered the car, put it in reverse (which it engaged), but that was the end of it - the car just would not reverse. Pushing it out of the garage and down the driveway, I engaged "Drive" and, to my luck, it works okay in low gear. But that's all I know as I am not game enough to reverse the car out the gate just in case I get stuck halfway across the road. So that's where it stands at the moment.

The valve bodies are extremely complex as there are four versions, but the one I am concerned with has two sub-versions, one with 9 and the other with 11 steel balls. I need to spend more time on this aspect of the operation. In the meantime, if someone has a good valve body that has not been disturbed, please let me know - I am a definite buyer, but it needs to be for a three speed 450.

Thus I turned my attention again to the interior. I was not happy with a black carpet I had set aside for the car - it just showed every piece of dirt and fluff absolutely "full time" - and I am a cleaning freak. Well, that's what I have been accused of at various times. So out came the seats (talk about doing things twice) to have new carpet fitted that we made up. The back sections are still to go, but I am extremely pleased with the fronts, as well as sill and gearbox tunnels.

My450SEMercedes031.jpg

My450SEMercedes032.jpg

My450SEMercedes030.jpg

I know pictures can at times be misleading, in this instance they are. The real thing (in reality) is better than the pics. If anyone is interested in having carpets like these made up for any 116SE/L, the all up and fitted price would be no more than $750.00. I can be contacted on mobile 0428-50-1800. I also need to point out that there is a restricted choice of colours with this brand of carpet. Regards Styria

Last edited:

John S

Those carpets look absolutely great Styria. I an impressed, and the light colour does look much neater, crisper even, than the black.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
This carpet looks fabulous Godfather.
Don't foget my driver's side mat please (same colour):D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This carpet looks fabulous Godfather.
Don't foget my driver's side mat please (same colour):D

Michel, this carpet is not the same colour as you have in RED 690SEL, nor is it quite the same quality. Also, the pile is different and that needs to be kept in mind. Mind you, it is a great substitute for the Real McCoy (a la Merc Benz), but then it does not cost you about $1800.00 for the W116, and just about two grand for a W107 as quoted by another very well known trimmer - fitting included in both instances and, of course, somewhat better quality - but the difference in cost is substantial and as a bonus you are dealing with the local tradesperson - something that should not be overlooked. Regards Styria

TJ 450

That carpet is very neat.

Regarding the valve body, I do have a spare, but it has been disturbed and is missing one of the 5.5mm balls at the least.

I should imagine that a careful revision of the existing valve body may sort things out. As I'm sure you are aware, there are a couple of springs that can easily get confused as well.

Just out of interest, were there many "chips" in the fluid channels of the unit? I have been considering dropping the unit from my 450's transmission for a while.

Tim

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Tim, thanks for your reply. If the 'up and down" layers of your valve body have not been disturbed, I would be most interested in buying it. A missing ball, and the replacement thereof, is not an issue as I have plenty of spares. However, if you could tell me how many balls in the valve body, I'll then know what's required to finish it off.

My problems stem from dismantling of the "cross" sections of the valve bodies, and in the end it became a jumbled nightmare to try and put together properly. I had several of them and the workshop manual does not give you an exploded drawing (view) of the cross sections. It is quite remarkable the extent to which the valve bodies differ - it's almost safe to say that no two are alike. BTW, just not quite sure what you mean by'chips' in the channels. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
To put the fitting of new carpets into proper perspective, and the time factor relating thereto, it is necessary to explain the procedure involved. For starters, both front seats need to removed from the car, as well as the rear seat cushion. In addition, both centre pillars trim, all four 'entrance' steps, the two covered quarter panels for both driver and passenger, and the two knee rolls need to be removed.

It is then necessary to remove the carpet sections glued to the sill panels as well as the two sections (one each side) in front of the rear seat cushion, as well as the two carpet sections situated under the front seats, and also the small sections (one each side) glued to the floor next to the gearbox tunnel.

Last but not least, an attempt is made to save the underpadding glued to the bottom of the old carpet - this is not always successful on account of the delicate nature of the padding. Naturally, it's all got to be put back togther, and properly fitted. So when you talk replacing carpet, don't forget it is not just a matter of removing the four loose 'main carpet' coverings. Many hours go into this total job. Regards Styria

TJ 450

Hi Styria,

Although I separated the halves and cleaned the valve body out, I never touched the main valves on the horizontal plane. I'll double check the numbers of both types of ball for you, as well as the general condition.

Tim

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Styria,

Although I separated the halves and cleaned the valve body out, I never touched the main valves on the horizontal plane. I'll double check the numbers of both types of ball for you, as well as the general condition.

Tim

If you could please, Tim, that'd be great, although there should only be 2 of 7mm balls, the rest would be 5.5mm. It just would be handy to know how many you had to start off with so that I can identify the valve body. Regards Styria

TJ 450

Hi Styria,
I sent you a PM regarding the valve body. I will continue my search for it.

Tim

WGB

I've come a bit late to this posting but it shows the vast amount of work required to bring almost any 116 up to reasonable working order.

Congratulations to Styria for the work as well as the photography.

The carpets are beautiful and look more like RR than Benz and are the colour of the interior of my wife's ML.

A couple of comments

1) Any 116 (6.9 excepted), 126 or 124 that i have worked on really needs a version of the spring compressor as recommended by M-B if you wish to remove the lower arm.

SpringCompressorandtools.jpg

Here is my one and is presently in the hands of TJ450 so that he can strip and re-build his 126 safely. I purchased it off an ebay shop and paid the cartage from the US a few years ago.

2) I have just rebuilt one of my front ATE calipers (I purchased a new one for the other side as it was missing it's titty for mounting the pad sensor loom) and the two rears.

Why do you need to split the calipers unless they are leaking at the join?

The fronts have plenty of clearance to blow out both pistons. The rears are a little tight but can still be done.

Bill