Tyres for the 450SE

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I need to look at replacing the tyres on the 450SE. Tread life is about 60% left but age is catching up with the Michelins and I don't want them to fail due to age.
Suggestions?
Mind you, the car is fantastic but gets so little use I probably should sell it....:mad:
Regards,
Brian

mrkozzy

Never finished
I'd also be interested in what tyres brands others in the forum are running.
I am in the same situation as yourself Benzboy, with the Michelins looking ok,
(but 70% gone) and all 4 needing to be changed sooner or later.
My only criteria now is "great wet weather grip and superior comfort". Mileage(?), is no longer important as I too don't drive it every day.
I don't think I'll go down the Michelin road, as the car never gets driven over freeway speeds and cost 'is' a factor.
I do take notice of the origin of tyres I buy for all my cars. I find the ones made in Asia can be well priced and perform well, however the longevity is another issue.

Helmet

Connoisseur
I would go for Michelins, XM1's if you can find them. They make the car feel so much better.

abl567

Super Moderator
I put XM1's on Six 3 and have not been at all impressed with them. After less than 12k Miles they are almost down to the TWI front and back, The one originally on the front right is now the spare, the track day at Oran Park (Thanks Michel, great day!) destroyed it with all the left handers there.
Granted they did the 2008 down under rally which involved some spirited driving over 3500 miles and I am not the most sedate driver when behind the wheel of a car with the torque of a 6.3. They are ready for replacement and I have no idea what I will use other than they will not be XM1's. XWX's would be nice but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Regards
Ant

Helmet

Connoisseur
I put XM1's on Six 3 and have not been at all impressed with them. After less than 12k Miles they are almost down to the TWI front and back, The one originally on the front right is now the spare, the track day at Oran Park (Thanks Michel, great day!) destroyed it with all the left handers there.
Granted they did the 2008 down under rally which involved some spirited driving over 3500 miles and I am not the most sedate driver when behind the wheel of a car with the torque of a 6.3. They are ready for replacement and I have no idea what I will use other than they will not be XM1's. XWX's would be nice but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Regards
Ant

12k miles with track days and rally sounds pretty good. I remember destroying a set of PZero's in one day at BMW driver training at Eastern creek :cool:

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
I just put a set of 205 55 16 Goodyear Assurance fuel max
On my 450SEL after my Michelin tyres started sliding all over the road in the wet
even tread still seemed ok. I was curious as to why and asked my local tyre guy
( who was not the guy I bought the tyres from ). He said how old are the tyres , I asked what difference that made . Reply was that after 4 or 5 years the michelins rubber hardens up , hence the sliding even though tread still seemed usable. Goodyears handle well in the wet , and are quieter than the michelins . Another tyre I liked in my V12 Daimler VDP days was the Pirelli P6

Of course changing my wheels to a 16 inch Alloy has had one unintended consequence . 16 inch tyres are a deal more expensive than 14 inch varieties

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michelins are notorious for hardening up after 4-7 years and becoming useless in cornering situations, even in the dry.

I changed the Michelins that were on the E23 AMG to Continentals and they are superb.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
And on your two W116s Michel?
Regards,
Brian

The Blue 450SEL runs 14 inch wheels and Chinese-made Maxxis (I also have them on the business Magna-excellent)

The 690SEL runs some Italian brand that I can't even remember the name. They are 18s and they are ok.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What size on the Blue Benz?
Regards,
Brian

I can't remember for sure and can't check as the car is at the Godfather's house.

However, I seem to recall reading once 205 x 65 x 14

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
What is everyone's opinion of Toyo tyres?
Perhaps start a different thread Tim - we know you like Toyo tyres but this is a specific question about a W116 and not a general discussion on tyres. :D
There is a very limited range now available for the 450 and that is the crux of my initial question.
My current research shows no suitable Toyo sizes available for a W116.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Perhaps start a different thread Tim - we know you like Toyo tyres but this is a specific question about a W116 and not a general discussion on tyres. :D
There is a very limited range now available for the 450 and that is the crux of my initial question.
My current research shows no suitable Toyo sizes available for a W116.
Regards,
Brian

Check out the Toyo website Brian I am sure Toyo make a suitable tyre for a W116 worth a try mate.

Cheers.