280 S problem areas?

More threads by oldsalt77098

O

oldsalt77098

I have an opportunity to add a 79 280 S to my fleet but am a little worried about the carburetor and the DOHC.

I really want another 116 body but should I be looking at something else?

Is this a little too specialized and hard to get parts for?

Thanks,

Oldsalt

116Benz

Not really, the 280S shared the same 280SE M110 engine, albeit carby instead of injection. Parts? www.autohausaz.com has plenty of parts for 280S' most of the interior stuff is the same as 450SE's the only difference is the 450SEL has longer back doors.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have an opportunity to add a 79 280 S to my fleet but am a little worried about the carburetor and the DOHC.
I really want another 116 body but should I be looking at something else?
Is this a little too specialized and hard to get parts for?
Thanks,
Oldsalt

Some might say you're lucky to get a carburetted car instead of the injection ;)

Go for it...

Don't fear anything

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have to agree with Michel. There is nothing to fear. Indeed, if the car appeals, no matter what it is or what it is like, there is nothing to fear. And I think I should know - given my latest journey into the land of the long white cheque!! :eek: Parts are available - and so is advice through this site. Go for it and enjoy.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited:

Martin280s

If you have any problems with the 'lovely' Solex 4A1 you just need to ask.
I have worked a lot on mine to get it spot on....which wasn't easy. The workshop manual for this carb is almost as big as my complete workshop manual for the W108! There's a lot of reading but it's not as bad as many suggest.

Styria

The Godfather
I'd probably put a spanner in the works by suggesting that an injected car would be my preference. Although never having owned a carbie version of Mercedes other than a 1959 - 190B, I am not qualified on the subject. It's only what one hears around the traps, and Merc carbies, especially in the late '60's and early '70's versions don't enjoy a good reputation.

Just make sure that the car runs well either hot or cold before you commit yourself to the purchase. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
That is good advice Styria about checking that it runs well both hot and cold. Carburettors can be an issue and for Benz can be hideously expensive to fix. However, if originality is not the goal then there are substitute carbies which will do the job at a reasonable price.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Andreas

Hi I have just bought a 280s. Think they are a nice car.

Plan to take it racing. Needs some tender care and attention. Carbie is the original solex. Needs some fixing carbie that is. Like to keep the car original as manual and on Historic registration. So any help with carbies would be appreciated. Currently trying to get the water pump off as leaking. Also thermostat not working stuck open. Once car cooling system working properly will play with carbie as running realy rich.

Any help appreciated on the carbie as have never played with one in my life.

Cheers
Andreas

Last edited:
OP
B

BAR

Craburettors vs Fuel Injection

Well comparing a Carbie with a 2008 'modern' Engine Management System is like chalk and cheese.

Easiest way to put it. Carbies, Ignition Coils, Distruibutors etc were simple mechanical devices that proved reliable and inefficient. Engine Management Computers, Independent Coils, Multi-Point Injection etc are complicated electronic devices that provide better engine runiing giving increased power, better running under all loads and conditions [cold start, warm running and hot running], but have a relatively short life and cost ten times more to replace.

For historic events, one should be certain that the car complies with all regulations of the class of vehicle.

Best to 'stick with what you've got': changing from carb to Engine Management [even early 'crude' - ignition control modules'] will cause you to make dozens of changes to a carbied engine. You'll have a little less power but again need far fewer headache pills and dollars to maintain the vehicle.