For the manual 280 fans: engine + box $250 starting bid

More threads by B13

oscar

Two things I like about this one that my m110 hasn't got. The w123 type exhaust manifolds and the hat on the k-jet intake looks perfect for a cold air/ram intake if it suits a carb diameter opening.

But I'm a bit confused over exactly what m110 this is. It's a k-jet no doubt but I'm at a loss to explain that air intake and filter housing that resembles a d-jet. Is this simply a 107 specific k-jet intake/filter or, since there was two types of w116 k-jet intakes, is it simply the later filter setup? Or is it KE jetronic perhaps? I wouldn't know.:confused:

Andrew280SEL

I am unsure myself, but it is nice to know there is an alternative in some way or another, to the standard giant K-Jet intake "box" that sits over the plenum chamber.

In any case, it does look like a good pickup for someone. Not for me though, thankfully our red 280 future track car was already a manual ;)

oscar

A manual Andrew?? I read in another post of yours you said something about a track car :cool::cool::cool: and I meant to say - awsome!! We'll have ourselves a national comp before too long:D

Andrew280SEL

Haha, yep, a povo spec (except it has Air Con) D-Jet 280SE 4 speed manual.

Haven't really done anything to it yet other than tear out the rear seats and seat belts and the like, but the plan is for it to be a track car :D

Your POVO documentation is sure to be handy and inspirational ;)

OzBenzHead

Master
That looks like an oil-bath air cleaner - never seen one on an M110 before.

And although they look good, wouldn't those exhaust manifolds get in the way of a RHD steering box?

As for it coming from an SLC 350 ... yeah, right.

oscar

Hi OBH, sclass first told me about those exhaust manifolds that was an upgrade essentially from the troubled type that meets in the middle and goes into a 'Y' piece that eventually cracks. sclass put a set of the ebay listing type in his 280se which I think is RHD. (it better be for the sake of my argument:D) But they were also put in w126 and w123 m110s and maybe w115s. I doubt there'd be any issue with w116s but I stand to be corrected. I'm sure I've seen them on very late w116 280se's though.

Andrew, d-jet 280 and manual!! What a start.:cool: I'm enjoying mucking around with carbs but I would've loved to have had a d-jet to start with.

G

GreaseMonkey

I have a pair of those exhaust manifolds on my 1980 280E parts car. And the air filter is similar to that on my UK spec 1975 W116 280SE Crayford wagon.
C.M.

Styria

The Godfather
There was one aspect of the manual box that Oscar referred to in one of his posts on our Oran Park trackday - he referred to alternating between 2nd and 3rd gears - in some sections, it would overrev in 2nd, but then 3rd be too tall to be of any real benefit.

Some couple of years ago, I mentioned the idiosyncracy of the manual box ratios. My experience related to driving a V8 (350) Coupe that had the four sspeed manual. I would daresay that the box was more than likely of a design that would more than likely have its origins going back to the fifties.

Cars and engines were different then, and the mechanicals had to cope with European driving conditions which, of course, included mountain regions. What I found driving the Coupe was that first gear was practically useless, so you'd start in 2nd. Then when the time came to change up to third, in slowish traffic the engine lacked torque to a certain extent to pull the higher gear properly. I mean, it'd handle it okay, but there was no real acceleration - unless you went down a cog to 2nd.

I struck this very same situation when in Europe recently with a 4cyl. 1.9 Diesel Citroen Xsara. Going up a mountain pass to the Grossglockner (2400m), it was a continuous serpentine climb for about 22 kilometers. Back to 2nd approaching the hair pin, revving hard to pick up speed, change up to third and......nothing, no torque, with engine struggling to maintain speed - quite often, this necessitated a change back to 2nd and a repeat of the previous experience - very frustrating. Just my learned thoughts. Styria

G

GreaseMonkey

I struck this very same situation when in Europe recently with a 4cyl. 1.9 Diesel Citroen Xsara. Going up a mountain pass to the Grossglockner (2400m), it was a continuous serpentine climb for about 22 kilometers. Back to 2nd approaching the hair pin, revving hard to pick up speed, change up to third and......nothing, no torque, with engine struggling to maintain speed - quite often, this necessitated a change back to 2nd and a repeat of the previous experience - very frustrating. Just my learned thoughts. Styria

Last time I was in France I rented a Xsara at Nice airport.
It was near new, with only 8,000kms on it.
I found the gearbox and gearchange to be rubbish, stiff, clunky, and never quite sure what gear is engaged.
Reverse was worse, it needed some muscle to crash it in,
(it's ok, it's not my car, just a rental), and that was mostly driving on the coast roads, apart from a loop up and down the Corniche one day, no real mountians to climb.

C.M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Our Corolla 2.4 litre Gazoil chugged everywhere through France in 2006 without this problem. 3rd gear was fine for chugging up Mt. Ventoux in the falling snow and there was no need to drop back to 2nd. The little beast could sit happily on 180 kph on the Autoroutes. I'm sure it was a close cousin of a Massey Ferguson but the gearbox was light and the torque prodigous. In fact, it was almost likable. In contrast, the Kia we had in Iceland was incapable of driving into a head wind in any gear and felt like it would take off across the North Atlantic as soon as a sidewind hit. The seat warmers were its only strong point....:eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy

G

GreaseMonkey

Our Corolla 2.4 litre Gazoil chugged everywhere through France in 2006 without this problem. 3rd gear was fine for chugging up Mt. Ventoux in the falling snow and there was no need to drop back to 2nd. The little beast could sit happily on 180 kph on the Autoroutes. I'm sure it was a close cousin of a Massey Ferguson but the gearbox was light and the torque prodigous. In fact, it was almost likable. In contrast, the Kia we had in Iceland was incapable of driving into a head wind in any gear and felt like it would take off across the North Atlantic as soon as a sidewind hit. The seat warmers were its only strong point....:eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy

Did you know Mont Ventoux means Windy Mountain?
So called because when the Mistral blows it strips everything back to the bare mountain, there is a distinct line above which nothing will grow.
Which reminds me of another classic, the Bugatti Ventoux, a pretty coupe based on the Type 57, preumably named after Bugattis had some success in the eponymous hillclimb events.
But the real gem, is the idea that Kia can sell cars in Iceland !?!?
C.M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"But the real gem, is the idea that Kia can sell cars in Iceland !?!?"
Yes, but only to rental companies. Icelanders drive big American 4wds or Porsche Cayennes - well, they used to until the present economic set back. :(
Regards,
Benz-Boy

oscar

There was one aspect of the manual box that Oscar referred to in one of his posts on our Oran Park trackday - he referred to alternating between 2nd and 3rd gears - in some sections, it would overrev in 2nd, but then 3rd be too tall to be of any real benefit.

Some couple of years ago, I mentioned the idiosyncracy of the manual box ratios. My experience related to driving a V8 (350) Coupe that had the four sspeed manual. I would daresay that the box was more than likely of a design that would more than likely have its origins going back to the fifties.

As opposed to the EVO. In Albert's video I noticed there seems to be a perfect relationship between rpm's, gear changes and speed matching the torque of the engine. I'm going to buy some offset woodruff keys to play around with cam timing and overlap and try and move the powerband to a lower rev range at the expense of top end speed. But since I've got 4th gear in reserve as I couldn't use it at Oran Park, top end speed might not be affected that much.

G

GreaseMonkey

"But the real gem, is the idea that Kia can sell cars in Iceland !?!?"
Yes, but only to rental companies. Icelanders drive big American 4wds or Porsche Cayennes - well, they used to until the present economic set back. :(
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Clarkson, Jeremy that is, once reported from Iceland on a TV show with a fascinating trip with some wild off-roaders hooning about in the volcanic debris that passes for countryside up there.
Driving in these conditions dictates very low tyre pressures - about 8psi I seem to recall - and occasionally a tyre will pop off the rim.
No probs though, a quick squirt from a pressurised can of butane, and a spark later, and the resulting explosion pops the bead of the tyre back on the rim.
Nuts!
C.M.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey, all I seem to do is to contradict or dispute your sentiments, judgement, findings...call it what you like, yet I can find disagreement. Please let me assure you, it is not intentional nor am I running some sort of crusade against you.

The Xsara I had the use of in 2005 and 2008 was a well cared for and well maintained 2002 model with roughly about 110k. on the clock. That car had a beautifully smooth gearbox with delightful changes, and handling and cornering that had to be tried and believed. In fact, as far as cornering went, one would have to be absolutely reckless to even go close to losing it or getting into trouble. Sure enough, it lacked power when compared with a two years newer Xsara but, as far as everyday transport and reliability was concerned, that car passed muster on almost all counts. To boot, try also forty litres of Diesel to 1000 kilometers ! Regards Styria

N.B. During the two visits, I would have done at least five thousand kilometers.

G

GreaseMonkey

Don't worry about contradicting me, I only post these tales to get a reaction.
And then as Tom Waits once said; "Maybe I make stuff up".
As for my rented Xsara, I suspect the clutch needed some adjustment, I always liked Citroens generally, and there is no way they would have made such a cr*p car knowingly.
Some rentals get neglected, I was in too much hurry to get around I never had time to take it back and ask for another.
C.M.

SELfor50

And... back to 280 manuals..

I got nothing on the topic except i was able to use 4th gear in the 280 on the hume.. till skippy got in the way. 'nuff said. Hume's alot longer than the straight at Op though.

Good idea bout trying to move the powerban, if you still didn't touch 4th gear should hopefully change things up enough to get there.

Cam2. :)

Lukas

Back to 2nd approaching the hair pin, revving hard to pick up speed, change up to third and......nothing, no torque, with engine struggling to maintain speed - quite often, this necessitated a change back to 2nd and a repeat of the previous experience - very frustrating.

Ahhhh - memories. Not of Citroens or alpine passes, but of 75 and 78 series Toyota Landcruisers with an RFS fitout on the back (about 1 tonne worth of "stuff"). In any of 1st to 3rd this happens: floor it, change up, [vast emptiness]. This is with the diesel engines they come with. Happens on flat tarmac, let alone trying to crawl up a hill somewhere. However, it is a little better in low range, which leads to the question.....

Is it possible to get a reducing gearbox that has input and output on the same axis? If you stuck something like that somewhere on the driveshaft (of your auto or manual), so that all the gears were reduced, would that help with the racing? Or am I just an idiot? :eek:

Lukas

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Are you back in Oz Mr Lukas?