An old W114 280 in need of some good ol' TLC

More threads by Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Hi everyone, long time no see (as usual :eek:). Good few years since I've posted around these parts I think, I'm absolutely terrible like that when that thing called life gets in the way.
I had a bit of a reminder somewhat recently though when, unfortunately, my Yahoo email account was hacked and taken over (this has happened a lot recently) and it seems my email account was used to spam many people in my contacts, including "OzBenzHead" :eek: who soon let me know about it. Apologies if anyone else suffered "my" spamming. I did regain my account though.

Secondly, and if this is the wrong forum area for this I apologise and feel free to move it... but just today I acquired a 1973 280 W114 saloon. As you will see it's in need of a bit of TLC and well... a good clean up.

Sorry that the pictures are absolutely horrible, I literally drove the car into the driveway, took the snaps and had to go again :eek: But perhaps it will make a good before and after.

This car was given to me by family friends who hadn't neither the space nor time to do much with it, so despite not having much space myself, I couldn't resist taking it off their hands.
Drives nicely in terms of engine, gearbox and brakes etc... steering box needs some serious work though, the steering is horrendously loose and capable of wandering a bit if you're not alert to it, but have not investigated it yet. Original owner reckons some part of it just needs welding (?), but again haven't had the time to look into it. Body is virtually rust-free though, from what I've seen.

Other main thing to mention... it's a carburettor model, and if I'm correct the carby is the infamous Solex 4A1! Sure enough apparently it has suffered warping before and most likely has a vacuum leak. My limited experience with it thus far hasn't revealed anything odd about the running state of the engine except maybe a chuggier idle under load, but I suspect perhaps it could be harder to start when warm.

Seems my options in this case would be to persist with the Solex or get one of those Holley converter kits from the US if all else fails *shrugs*

Anyway I'm well aware the old girl might require some $$$ that I don't have to get it properly up to scratch, but since it's a freebie I hardly care ;) I suspect just a proper clean up, cut and polish etc will make it look a tonne better. I will try to investigate the mechanicals myself as much as I can, when time permits. I figure it might be a fun little project anyway and I have to admit I quite like the styling of these older ones (or maybe because it's just different).

Anyone have opinions or insight into these types of Mercs? It's kind of a nice familiar feeling that the engine is the M110 like in my 280SEL W116. Feels quite a bit more peppier than my 280SEL though, but I think I can excuse the W116 since she's not only a heavier body, but done nearly 600,000kms and the engine is getting a little tired :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20130716_140140.jpg
    IMG_20130716_140140.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20130716_140408.jpg
    IMG_20130716_140408.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20130716_140346.jpg
    IMG_20130716_140346.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Welcome back Andrew - as it was free you can't go wrong with it. You might be pleasantly surprised how easy these are to work on and we look forward to the after shots as well.
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Good Models Andrew , I had a couple of new ones through the seventies, Up and down the New England, Brisbane to Sydney many times. Totally trouble free injected cars. Maybe you are an eternal optimist about the cut and polish ! !
Happy restoring.... Sean

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Haha, yes maybe I am :) (an optimist on the cut and polish)

Still, mainly it's very dirty and got some tree bits and pieces on it. Besides being very grimy and faded, I think the paint is surprisingly okay otherwise. It was sitting in a garage... I guess it just hadn't been washed in a long time :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice to hear from you again Andrew. :cool:

If I recall the last time I heard from you, it was when you were studying for the HSC.

That W114 looks great for a freebie.
Even the colour is nice (my second weakness is yellow).

A bit of porting should solve all the warping problems.

Otherwise, Holler for a Holley....;)

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Hi Michel - congrats on the 6000+ posts :cool:

Yes if possible I wouldn't mind keeping the Solex... seems they are decent carbies, if they're right... but if I had to go a Holley then so be it.

IIRC "Oscar" (is he still around?) was replacing a Solex with a Holley on his track car 280 and his pics showed the rather large secondaries on the Solex :eek:

The original owner reckons the car had more oomph and even fuel economy than his 4 cylinder BMW. Probably a case of rose tinted glasses though? ;)

Oversize

Grand Master
Nice car! I reckon she'll clean up well. I've seen some shockers lately and am constantly amazed how neglected they can get. Free with little (or no) rust and that's an ideal scenario! Plus it's another car that will hopefully be saved.

I'm not a fan of Holleys and prefer the Carter/Edelbrock carbs, but they might be a little big for your application!

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have a preference for a W114 280, rather than a W116 280.
Better body / engine combination, to my way of thinking.

Not easy to put fuel injection on it?

Last edited:
OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

I have a preference for a W114 280, rather than a W116 280.
Better body / engine combination, to my way of thinking.

Yes I can understand that, seems like the 6 cylinder wouldn't have to work as hard and would be quite a bit more effortless.

Not easy to put fuel injection on it?

I'm sure it could be done, but I think to do that conversion you need to swap over the head and everything, including the extra pumps, relays etc.

Doable, but a bit of work.:cool: TBH, all the Benzes I've had have been injected, so I won't mind the experience with the carby. Certainly a bit simpler to work on I suppose.

Nice car! I reckon she'll clean up well. I've seen some shockers lately and am constantly amazed how neglected they can get. Free with little (or no) rust and that's an ideal scenario! Plus it's another car that will hopefully be saved.

I'm not a fan of Holleys and prefer the Carter/Edelbrock carbs, but they might be a little big for your application!

I've seen a few Benz enthusiasts say that now :cool: I'm a little curious why. Is it because Holley's are typically associated with muscle cars/street machines (I think) or more a quality or ease of working with etc?

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
Nothing to do with association and more to do with design. The float arrangement is crap on a Holley and they can be prone to fuel surge and starvation during heavy braking and acceleration. Which defeats the whole purpose of upgrading! I will say however that I'm not speaking from experience tinkering with them. I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen of the design and what I've heard from various sources

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Got a chance to start a quick clean on the old girl before the rain hit today (the car is actually not at my home address ATM due to space issues with renovations, so my time on the car at this stage is somewhat limited) and it seems under all that grime the paint is actually, for the most part, brighter and shinier than I expected. And this is before an actual cut and polish or anything.

Unfortunately though, at some point it looks like it has sat under a nasty tree for some time and well... look at the pics :eek: She has one of the worst case of "sap-attack" I've seen.:mad::eek:

And yes all those "bits" still on the car are a part of the aforementioned tree and it's sap.
So before I attempt any more washing, would anyone have any tips on sap removal on car paint? Or more to the point, can I remove this sap without too much damage to the paint or is it really a lost cause as far as that as concerned?

I'm not too worried, but if I can save it (the paint), then I'll happily do it!

Attachments

• IMG_20130718_140750.jpg
    IMG_20130718_140750.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20130718_140800.jpg
    IMG_20130718_140800.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20130718_140817.jpg
    IMG_20130718_140817.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20130718_140855.jpg
    IMG_20130718_140855.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
I'd try eucalyptus oil, teatree oil, then Prepsol, turps and finally thinners.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

I'm glad you said turps. It was one of the first things to come to my mind, but I was worried I might be run out of town with pitchforks and fire for thinking of putting turps on Merc paint (even if said paint has probably seen better days) :D ;)

Still better than petrol though, right? :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
I'd try Shellite before petrol as it's purefied and better suited as a cleaning product. I still think Eucalyptus oil would work the best

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Over a year later :rolleyes: I figure I'll update this.

Still being stored away from where I actually live, time to do anything with this old W114 has been very limited indeed.

With the acquisition of my W123 230E though, which I can just drive and enjoy, I figure I can have a bit more "fun" with this one, with the aim of slowly fixing it up to the point of at least being roadworthy, which is mainly the steering box and having a bit of a side project.

Any ideas of (classy) modern upgrades that can make a W114 look nice(er)? Wheels I guess?

It's all a bit of daydreaming at the moment though, I still haven't even got all the sap off it... but there is a lot of the stuff, but it's just time and effort (and lots of rubbing alcohol, which is the only thing that really works..). The paint will never be great, but looks like it should come up to at least look half reasonable and passable.

The carby doesn't worry me at this stage. One day, when everything else is sorted, sure it'll be something to work on, but honestly from what I've experienced with this car, even just moving it around the backyard, the carby isn't enough of an issue. Doesn't like idling when cold, is a little tougher to start cold also, but once it warms up, it doesn't do much wrong.

The biggest thing is to fix the unfortunately all too common issue these model MBs have... the broken steering box bolts.:rolleyes::eek: Should be fun drilling the old threads out! If anyone has any pointers on this particular bit of repair I'm all ears :)

Helmet

Connoisseur
With regards the steering box you will find the bolts should come easily as they down bottom out in the box. Just a centre punch and hammer working them out until you can get a grip with some pliers. Make sure you check the chassis for cracks. If you can find a factory reinforcement bracket to fit other wise a bit of welding and home made plate will work ok.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Thanks Helmet.

As far as I'm aware this isn't the first time this has happened to this car and it already has a reinforcing bracket, though I will nevertheless have a very close inspection when I'm actually under the vehicle.

Ideally if a reinforcement was already there it shouldn't have happened again (?) but then again it wouldn't surprise me if someone fitted sub-standard bolts which simply broke by themselves.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Even with the correct bolts they used to break all the time. The chassis just flexes too much if you turn the steering without the car moving.