problem with key/door lock

More threads by mycar450slc

mycar450slc

Connoisseur
May I have some advice. The driver's door lock is very difficult to engage. Normally after jiggling a long time, I am able to lock or unlock the car and the central locking works well. I guess the key barrel lock is worn? What is the best way to resolve this? The passenger's door works Ok and so does the boot.

I had a thought that installing a remote central locking unit and alarm would do the trick and rang around and looks like it can be done. Is this a good idea or are there potential problems with the remote unit installed? Thanks for your advice.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
May I have some advice. The driver's door lock is very difficult to engage. Normally after jiggling a long time, I am able to lock or unlock the car and the central locking works well. I guess the key barrel lock is worn? What is the best way to resolve this? The passenger's door works Ok and so does the boot.

I had a thought that installing a remote central locking unit and alarm would do the trick and rang around and looks like it can be done. Is this a good idea or are there potential problems with the remote unit installed? Thanks for your advice.

I had problems with my passenger side door lock.
It would work or not, depending on its mood.
I had a 'locksmith' friend come over, take the handle off and then take the barrel apart and then reconstruct it.
For the grand sum of $75 and a cuppa.
So, in answer... it is probably worn or the elements inside are loose.

hoddo

Connoisseur
Good chance that its the Key thats worn not the lock barrel, have you got a spare key to try? I had the same trouble and when I tried a new key it fixed the prob.

OzBenzHead

Master
When I first bought my W116 the driver's door lock was temperamental. The key was quite worn down.

I used the spare key and all was -- and remains -- well five years later.

As for aftermarket remote systems: beware! They often don't last long (relative to a Benz's lifespan) and are more often than not installed by butchers who wreck the Benz's wiring or do other 'Ford' or 'Holden' type things to your precious M-B.

wagons46

Yes I would check a spare key if available. The key wears quicker than the lock. Get another cut off your worn key as they can allow for wear and cut it slightly larger. Just had the same problem myself. Good luck!

Styria

The Godfather
Yes I would check a spare key if available. The key wears quicker than the lock. Get another cut off your worn key as they can allow for wear and cut it slightly larger. Just had the same problem myself. Good luck!

Nice to get your input. So many guys just join, but don't contribute. Regards Styria BTW, I would probably take the handle/lock to a locksmith. They're the experts.

OP
mycar450slc

mycar450slc

Connoisseur
Many thanks to everyone for your advice and valuable experiences. Looks like I should:
1. get new keys cut (I actually don't have any spare when I got the car from dealer)
2. dismantle and get lock unit to locksmith
3. defer installing remote until I have no choice.

I will do a follow-up post to let everyone know my progress with this problem.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
As noted by OBH the keys wear faster than the locks. It might be worth making an order for a new key from Benz based on your chassis number. When you have done so, you can then use the new one as a template for cutting a spare and you will know that it is correct.
Cutting a new key from a worn template will only reproduce the wear patten.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

hoddo

Connoisseur
Is it possible to get a merc key cut local? I got my spares from the Dealership and they were brought in from germany. I supplied the vin ect and they turned up a week later

abl567

Super Moderator
They now laser cut them in Melbourne, mine arrived the next day:D

Fotografa

Is it possible to get a merc key cut local? I got my spares from the Dealership and they were brought in from germany. I supplied the vin ect and they turned up a week later

Phil,

You can also get the key code from the dealer, and then go to any GOOD locksmith, and they can cut to the code.

Saves waiting, and it's cheaper.

I've had it done twice now.

OP
mycar450slc

mycar450slc

Connoisseur
Hi everyone, here is the update on how I went to resolve the issues.

Enquired at 2 local reputable locksmiths and one recommended that nothing could be done as the door key was too worn-out and for the ignition key (worn but fairly OK and operating) he advised that he rather not do it as it might malfunction while I am on the road and advise was to go to the Mercedes Benz dealer. The other said the door key was too worn out to be worked on but cut the ignition key ($9) and it worked OK. Went to the Mercedes dealer, gave the chassis no (VIN not used then) + driver's licence + rego and he got keys cut in Sydney with about 3 days turnaround for about $65 for 2 keys. The new key did not operate the driver's door but worked well on other door and boot. I think work needs to be done on the lock barrel or so. The Mercedes dealer said that you can only order a complete handle/lock assembly and that would run into $2K, so not an easy option.

At least after this exercise, I am happy that I now got spare keys but still need to fix that lock. So far the 2 locksmiths said they cannot do it. I am looking at the option to swap the other door handle/lock assembly to the driver's side but guess I will be working around the issue. You would think that it is a no-brainer solution on these common pains that are being experienced by practically all of us.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi everyone, here is the update on how I went to resolve the issues.

Enquired at 2 local reputable locksmiths and one recommended that nothing could be done as the door key was too worn-out and for the ignition key (worn but fairly OK and operating) he advised that he rather not do it as it might malfunction while I am on the road and advise was to go to the Mercedes Benz dealer. The other said the door key was too worn out to be worked on but cut the ignition key ($9) and it worked OK. Went to the Mercedes dealer, gave the chassis no (VIN not used then) + driver's licence + rego and he got keys cut in Sydney with about 3 days turnaround for about $65 for 2 keys. The new key did not operate the driver's door but worked well on other door and boot. I think work needs to be done on the lock barrel or so. The Mercedes dealer said that you can only order a complete handle/lock assembly and that would run into $2K, so not an easy option.

At least after this exercise, I am happy that I now got spare keys but still need to fix that lock. So far the 2 locksmiths said they cannot do it. I am looking at the option to swap the other door handle/lock assembly to the driver's side but guess I will be working around the issue. You would think that it is a no-brainer solution on these common pains that are being experienced by practically all of us.

I know someone who will 're-organise' your driver's side lock to match the others for just about $100
PM if interested.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
A cheaper, but quite workable option, which my daughter chose for 'old banger'.... The drivers side door lock (which was worn out), was changed for another lock out of a wreck, which now has a different key. She says that is fine, because she now has a greater level of security against theft..... mind you, no one would want to steal har car, but that, in her case is OK too, because it is uninsured.